“Overcharged & No explanation”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #66 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My family stayed at the Holiday Express on Aug 5 & 6 of this year. We wanted to watch the Mariners play against the Bluejays. Our family includes my son (7), daughter (3) and baby (6 months) We had pre-paid the 2 nights approx. $445.00. When we checked out a $10.00 charge was applied for parking, totally understandable. A couple of days later I checked our mastercard balance online and another charge of $183.99 was shown. I called and the person who answered the phone thought we never even checked in so this charge was our cancellation fee. I explained that we were there. After some time there was an apology stating that the amount would be refunded. Another few days go by and no refund. I call again, they state that the charge is now actually for extra people staying in my room! REALLY??! That's news to me! Cause other then the 5 of us, I honestly don't think anyone else would fit! I ask to speak to the manager, I have to leave a voicemail. No call back. I leave another voicemail the following day, no call back. I have yet to receive a phone call back from the manager (Savanna) explaining this mysterious charge. Will definitely be staying at another hotel on our next family adventure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alicia S
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize for the issues you have experienced. I will follow up with my management team to see what actions have been taken, if any, to resolve your concerns. Please be assured that I will address this matter personally.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

i forget 2 chargers in the room, i return the next day for them and disappeared mysteriously , anyone found anything,a ghost stuff, imagine that would have been a thing of value $$ ,bad for the hotel reputation

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry the chargers were not found. All found items are tagged, logged, and stored until guests call to inquire about them. We have boxes full of chargers that had been left behind and have gone unclaimed, so we do certainly hold on to them when we find them. As always, please feel free to contact us directly and we will be able to look into the matter.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a training with the company I work for. Great location and comfortable stay. The front desk staff was friendly and the rooms were spacious and the hotel, even though on a Main Street, is very quiet. Great restaurants and shopping in within walking distance and plenty of great attractions, Space Needle etc. are also within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us! I appreciate the kudos, and I will share them with the team. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Unlike some reviewers, I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. I didn't have any problems but when I checked in and later came back to ask questions, they were courteous. They gave me a map and circles all the "to go to" places and even told me which bus to take to get to the wharf. We didn't use the bus-first time we just walked back. I had 2-11 year olds and 1-9 year old. They didn't complain in case you're wondering if you should walk to the wharf from the hotel. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the hotel from the wharf. Second day I just drove there and parked. There was no difficulty in finding a place to park, which may be due to the fact we were there around mid August.

The room was basic (no refrigerator) but clean. I had no complaints and was happy it was so close to the attractions. Breakfast was typical, excpet this one had pancakes (I've never seen a pancake machine-push the button and out comes 2 pancakes). I was a bit irritated on our second day when the maid knocked on our door and tried to open it at 8:15 a.m. I was stil in PJs and told her we would be checking out that day. When I was in the shower a bit later, I heard someone try and open the door again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel! I apologize for our over-zealous housekeepers, and I will mention this to my Executive Housekeeper. I am very glad that you had an enjoyable stay, and I look forward to having you return.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We booked a room in Seattle at the Holiday Inn Express Seattle Center as it was close to what we wanted to do before our cruise to Alaska. When we arrived, the clerk said we had a smoking room and it reeked of smoke. It was the only room available and we could not accept it. He blamed Travelocity for the mixup. I called Travelocity and they tried to get us a room near the airport and that was unacceptable as it was another $40 cab ride and not at all close to the city. The doorman at the HIE helped us across the street to the Quality Inn and they had a room and it turned out well. Be careful that you confirm your room choice and don't depend on the booking info.

Room Tip: Confirm your room type choice, especially nonsmoking well in advance.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry you were not happy with your accommodations. Reservations booked as "Standard Room" types, whether it be through a third party such as Travelocity or directly through our hotel, are not guaranteed a specific room type. This occurs mostly when we are close to capacity and one particular room type is not available for the entire length of stay. We are not in the habit of changing confirmed room types unless it is to upgrade our IHG Rewards Club Members or if we have noted a request in the reservation notes. When our guests have requested non-smoking, but smoking rooms are all that are available, we do our best to deoderize the rooms prior to our guests' arrival. We understand that this does not completely remove the odor, but it does help.

The best advice I can offer is that if you do book a "Standard Room", please contact the hotel direclty. We will do everything within our power to honor your room type request. We want all of our guests to be happy that they chose to stay at our hotel and continue to come back.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Last week I had the good fortune to visit Seattle, and stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in the City Center. It was a very pleasant stay. The rooms were large, clean, and well furnished. We had a nice bathroom with all the amenities, there was also a microwave, kitchenette, desk, comfortable chair, and two very comfortable beds with soft pillows and comforters. The hotel itself was spacious and comfortable and the staff was incredibly kind and helpful. The location is perfect as well. You can walk, or catch a bus or train to anywhere in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your experience! It is always wonderful to hear that we were able to provide an enjoyable and relaxing atmosphere for our guests. I look forward to having you back! And thank you for your recommendation!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

overall a fair price for the accomdations. close to the space needle but not walking distance to Pikes Place fish market. minor disappointments are the breakfast is till 1030am but the staf begins removing food at 10 am. Front desk is inexperienced at solving small problems. i asked if i could get some assistance with adding my stay to my ihg rewards and the young person at the front desk desk they could not help without my number. I was hoping they could get on the phone and assist with the solving the problem. the disappontments were not deal breakers due to our limited time in the room and/or hotel. if i had planned to stay on the property more i may choose to pay more for a higher level of luxery. dont get me wrong the suite was fine for a basic stay. if you are expecting high qulaity you might want to make a different choice and plan on shelling out 2-3x as much. again GOOD value overall.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your comments! I deeply apologize for any inconvenience with the IHG Rewards Club issue. We do have a few new employees at the desk who may not have known the proper course of action in this instance. This is something I will address so that we can avoid any other guest frustration going forward. I am also sorry if the breakfast hours were not communicated accurately. Our breakfast is served daily between 6:30AM and 10:00AM.

My management team and I will continue to strive to provide our guests with the best possible service by using feedback such as this as training opportunities. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope that you will visit us again in the future!