“Night before Cruise”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #67 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Centrally located..short walk to space needle...about a mile easy walk to pikes place market, short ride to cruise terminal...staff was very friendly and helpful...good breakfast options. Rooms are fine, everything was clean and comfortable...needs some maintenance and facelift in bathrooms and small details...appreciate the staff friendliness..tbey deal with a ton of cruise passengers!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed two nights and the room was pretty comfortable. The staff was actually quite helpful. They serve a decent breakfast. It is close to the Needle and a few other attractions. I'd recommend it especially if you are trying to keep the budget in check.

Room Tip: It's a good hotel choice especially if you are trying to keep your budget in check.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my 4th time staying here and despite one small hiccup, the hotel was up to its usual high standard.
The slight hiccup occurred when we used the microwave in the room only to have all of the power in the room shut down. We called the front desk and spoke to a man and waited. After half an hour, I went down to the front desk and spoke to Carole. Carole swapped our rooms instantly and problem fixed.
Whilst I was completely satisfied with how this was resolved, we found out the maintenance guy knew the power outlet in the original room was faulty and would shut down the power if used. So I have to ask the question, if he knew about it, why was it not fixed before giving the room to guests and having an appliance plugged into a faulty power outlet? In fairness to Carole, it appeared the maintenance guy had not mentioned anything about this to the front desk staff.
After this we had no problems whatsoever and enjoyed our stay as always. Great location, great room, friendly staff. We will be back again and will gladly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Seattle.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shane K
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I stayed here on August 2-4, 2014. We stayed here for two nights after returning from our Alaskan cruise. Before our cruise we stayed at the Best Western Loyal Inn, but they didn't have rooms available when we returned from our cruise. We liked the area and chose to stay here, because it was close to the Space Needle, EMP museum, mono-rail and Ride-a-Duck.

We arrived on Saturday and got to the hotel around 9:30am. Didn't expect to able to check-in to our room, but I was wrong. We were able to check-in to our room 5 1/2 hours early (yay!) and my boys were able to enjoy their second breakfast of the morning in the breakfast area. When we went up to our room we decided to use the hotel luggage carrier to carry/roll all of our luggage to the room. The elevator is kind of small and trying to get four people and this luggage carrier onto an elevator was a hassle and it probably would have been easier just to bring up the luggage without this carrier. The one thing I liked about this hotel was the lobby, it was nice and spacious and it smelled very nice. After my boys ate their second breakfast, we all took a nap. The beds were very comfortable and the hotel was quiet. The wi-fi worked very well and when you are travelling with teenagers great wi-fi is a must, especially since they spent the previous week with very limited internet access.
This hotel is within walking distance to the Space Needle, EMP museum, mono-rail, Pikes Market/Place and Ride-a-Duck. As a first time visitor to Seattle, I didn't realize how steep/hilly some of the streets were, so walking to Pikes Place was slightly difficult for me, but definitely possible.

The hotel has an indoor pool and fitness room, but didn't get a chance to use them. Anytime we needed a cab, the staff at the front desk were nice enough to call one for us. On the day we were leaving, we asked for late check-out and we were allowed to check-out at 1pm, which I thought was great. The breakfast area had a great selection of food, but was very crowded and my family and I didn't couldn't find a table for us to sit together, not a big deal, but for families with young children it could definitely be a probelm, but my kids are 16 & 17 years old and don't need to be supervised while eating breakfast.

Overall our stay was great and I would recommend this hotel to anyone visting Seattle.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hanna D
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights last week and could not fault the rooms and breakfast. The area was not great .. felt like we were in the middle of a building site, but it was very convenient for the Space Needle and other forms of transport.
The first day we were there the reception staff happily called a taxi for my husband to attend a business meeting.
The second day he was told that this was not possible and he had to call a taxi himself and was presented with a list of local taxi numbers. He decided to find his own taxi and started to walk and flagged one down eventually.
The third day I again asked a different set of reception staff if they would order me a taxi to take me to the train station. I had 2 suitcases and was on my own. At first they said yes, and dialled someone - then they changed their minds and gave me the list of taxi numbers I had to call myself. I did try to call 3 of the numbers listed and had to wait about 8 - 9 minutes on hold and still did not get through to any of the numbers or manage to get a taxi. This has cost me around 20 dollars in calls (as I am calling on my U.K. phone)
I decided to leave my bags in reception and flag a taxi down from the street. This took another 15 minutes. By this time I was hot, bothered very stressed at the fact I was going to miss my train and also worried about my left luggage in reception. Eventually a taxi stopped, I explained the situation and he drove me back to the hotel where I picked up my bags. Even the taxi driver could not believe what I was having to do.
I cannot understand how the taxi calling policy can change from one day to another and customers are not helped in such a basic request. I felt totally let down by this experience and it somewhat marred a lovely stay.
I cannot believe that I was left

Room Tip: room facing Space Needle were good and we didn't find it noisy as some have said
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jubious
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Made reservation in March 2114 for a queen suite smoking with view of space needle for Three nights post cruise August 10 to 13. Arrived at hotel in morning after disembarking. We were told we could leave our luggage but our room would not be ready until after 2 p.m. Walked around Seattle from 8 a.m. 'Til 2:30 p.m. Upon arrival were told room was still not ready. Upon asking what time it would be ready, we were told that hotel did not have the room we reserved but they had a regular room. Showed them our confirmed reservation and were told "that reservation was pushed through". I had contacted this hotel at least three times from March to August seeking answers to questions about area and rechecking on our reservation and on August the 1st called again to set up shuttle service. When I explained this to the desk personnel and showed her confirmation she said she understood but the room we had reserved had been rented out. They offered to comp one night in the lesser quality room which has a view of the back of the building and not the amenities of the mini suite. Having planned this trip for the last six months, we were looking forward to relaxing after the cruise in a room with a seating area and view and kitchen amenities instead of having to sit on a bed for three days. We are very disappointed with Holiday Inns and Suites and this will be the last time we book ahead with this chain.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerryJ2254
Gerald G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear TerryJ2254,

Thank you for your review. Although our check in time is 3PM, we do our best to check in our guest early. We understand how you want to relax after your week long cruise, however we also have to wait for our previous guest to check out from room in order for us to clean. I hope you can understand that.
I'd love to research and find out what exactly happened with your reservation room type. Please contact General Manager of the hotel at (206)441-7222, so I can follow up with your case.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Holiday Inn Express proved to be a great place to stay on our recent trip to Seattle. Lovely buffet breakfast included, and staff were friendly and helpful. Secure car parking below the hotel. Only three blocks walk to the Space Needle, where you can also catch the regular monorail to downtown Seattle, and Pike Place is an easy walk from there.
There are quite a few restaurants nearby, which cater for a variety of tastes.
Did not get chance to try out the fitness centre or pool, but it was good to know that they were available.
Rooms were clean and we found them to be quiet. No pets allowed which is good for those of us with pet allergies! Would stay there again and would recommend for a stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have views of the Space Needle, but those at the back are quieter as...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family