“Older but perfect for family trip!”

and 1 more site!
University Motel Suites
Ranked #74 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Nice office personnel and good, clean suite that had plenty of sleeping for family of 4 with nice kitchen & dining areas and a TV for weather, news, and kids. Reconsider if taking a big pickup (like we did - Dodge Ram) due to tight parking (they accomodated us by letting us use biggest space there but alley entrance/exit was tight). Parking is monitored and for hotel guests only, so we felt our rig was safe.

We felt safe, comfortable, and appreciated. Office personnel gave us quick & easy directions to downtown without having to go on freeway all of the time, and suggested local eateries and gave us info on local stores available (Walgreens on northeast corner of block, Safeway short walk away). Great ice cream at small shop just east of Walgreen's (very cool regular and vegan & special flavors). We felt it was in a very clean and 'safe' neighborhood and had no problem walking to get ice cream with grandkids after 9pm (shop stayed open 'til 11pm).

It is now officialy our favorite place to stay when in Seattle with family. Rates were reasonable for nice, big suite. Don't expect "new", but all is clean and in decent condition.

Only drawbacks: no AC in main bedroom. Got nice cross-breeze with window open, but sushi bar two doors down was a little noisy 'til midnight Friday & Saturday.

Room Tip: Our suite was on first floor and was very nice with a "patio".
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The room was clean and roomy. This is an older motel with very little updates. The location is great. The male staff is friendly and helpful for the most part.

They advertise a parking garage and in the garage it states their are cameras. Our truck was broke into in there garage. When we told them they did not act surprised, I asked if this was something that happened often there and he just looked at me and said yes sometimes. When I asked to see tapes or have them reviewed so we could make a police report we were informed they don't record anything they just monitor them off and on until around midnight. So we checked out and went to another hotel. And the hotel manager never even said he was sorry about what happened.

The price is reasonable, the rooms were decent and having a kitchen was a bonus. Will I stay there again? NO Do I suggest you stay there? NO

4  Thank larrydanielle
Reviewed 2 July 2013

These one bedroom apartments converted to one bedroom motel rooms are LARGE. With one king and two queen size beds, we could have hosted a sports team. The three-story-walk-up location is great for walking to the U of Wash and diversified restaurants in the U District; and it has free parking.
When checking into our first room we noticed the microwave wasn’t working. The Motel clerk came immediately. He plugged the microwave into another outlet and microwave worked. Noticing the original electric breaker switch was tripped, it was reset. SNAP, CRACKLE AND POP went the breakers! The refrigerator motor started with more and louder, SNAPS, CRACKLES AND POPPING! Then, my partner noted with panic alarm “Oh my God, the refrigerator is really smoking!” Heavy, black smoke was pouring out behind the ref!
Come to find out the electrical receptacles were worked on that day and two of the main leads were directly connected together. It also made a fairly large burned area in the floor.
Our room was changed and after carefully checking out the exit/fire escape routes, we tried to get to sleep. Would I stay there again, oh my yes – this is what really neat stories and TV series are made of!

3  Thank ValleyPrimrose
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We were planning to join our daughter and her family for their first visit to Seattle. I had collected information on several hotels, and it was looking like we were going to need two rooms—at quite a strain to our budget. Then I found the University Motel Suites here at TripAdvisor. They offered a suite with three queen beds, enough to accommodate our three generations of vacationers, and at a nightly rate that was less than most of the single-bed rooms I'd found.

An added bonus was the full kitchen and dining area, which spared us the expense of eating every meal at restaurants. We could have a serve-yourself breakfast while we got ready for our day's adventure, then two of our three nights there I prepared dinner for the family in the suite. Very cozy!

Our hosts were very friendly, personable, and helpful, from reservations through checkout. They offer free parking and free wifi, a rare bonus among the hotels I considered for this trip.

The location in the University district was ideal for us, with a great sushi restaurant two doors down (our first night's dinner venue) and a vegan/sustainable restaurant on the corner, ideal for morning coffee runs. Joy of joys, there was a Trader Joe's within easy walking distance where we shopped for our breakfasts & dinners (there was also a Safeway nearby that we never visited). If we'd been more daring, we could have easily taken public transportation to downtown Seattle, but we made the short 10-minute drive instead.

Some details of the suite: There was a bedroom that grandma & gramps got to themselves. It looked like it had a TV at one time, now gone, but that was certainly no hardship. It had a large closet and copious dresser drawers. The main living room was largely occupied by the two other queen beds, one for mom & dad and one for the two preteen kids, and more dressers for those who don't care to live out of their luggage (I noticed that I was the only who actually unpacked his suitcase). This room featured the flatscreen TV, and opened onto a little patio area with a table and couple of chairs. Before we arrived, there was some concern that one bathroom might not be enough for us all, but it worked out fine. I should mention that the rooms definitely showed signs of wear and tear, but the linens, towels, floors, and walls were clean. Similarly, if you're the kind of person who would be offended that the plates and silverware weren't all the same pattern, this is probably not the place for you. For us, though, it was the perfect solution, allowing us to enjoy much more time together (and spend a lot less money) than staying in two rooms would have.

Room Tip: I was a bit concerned that our suite was directly across from the office, thinking it might be noisy...
2  Thank ArtyGuy
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one week and started from here our journeys to Seattle and around. The motel looks more standard, but has large suites with two rooms and a fully equipped kitchen. The supermarket around the corner opens from 6 am to 2 am and therefore we could buy all things and cook. There are also express buses to downtown Seattle and a washing machine. We had all we needed for a nice stay!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank anw71
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed for an evening, arrived late and still was greeted with warmth and friendly smile; the suite was large and the sofa was soft, the carpet was new and the room was very clean; the kitchen was equipped well enough for a short visit; the location was great.

1  Thank ColbertGD
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I used to stay here when I was in Seattle for work. Being in the the U-district was necessary. The owners live in the building, a young couple, maybe mid-30s. Check-in isn't available 24 hours a day so if you're getting in late you'll have to contact them to make arrangements to get your key. It's not a very big place either so if you want a room around graduation, big sports events, or whatever you should book in advance.

The "room" is huge. It's really a one bedroom apartment. It even has a full kitchen. It is a bit old and dated. The whole building seems to be that way. The location is great. It's right near University Ave. but it's not so close that they noise will keep you up. They have free parking (as far as I can remember) but it's tight. There's free wifi also.

I don't stay here as much anymore because the prices have gone up and since I don't have to stay in the U-district anymore I'd rather stay somewhere else. But if you're staying near the school I'd stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business