“Wonderful Stay in Seattle”

Mildred's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Stay in Seattle”
Reviewed 14 August 2010

My wife and I enjoyed staying at Mildred’s, a wonderful home in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle, during our vacation in August. We spent 2 nights here; enjoying comfortable accommodations (Lace Room), superb breakfasts (the Dutch babies were amazing!), and the charming company of Melodee and her family. The location is also great…a quiet neighborhood adjacent to a park and within easy access to downtown Seattle.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tucson
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The location is great directly across from Volunteer Park with great public transportation. The building is old and not well maintained with the rooms small and the insuite baths even smaller. Could not use a hairdryer without hitting the ceiling while in the bathroom.
The breakfast was good--however if you do not like either smoked salmon or sausage you
will not enjoy.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Sunny California
Reviewed 23 January 2010

A house as beautifully kept as Mildred’s B & B, and a proprietrix with the charm and experience of Melody, would undoubtedly have no problem making guests happy through the summer months.
We are here in January, and this period-piece stately home is still a great place to stay. A welcoming fire, warm and cushy quilts, delicious food, and small touches of elegence from a century ago are what do it. It is pleasant without being frou-frou-cutsey or the kind of “museum house”that makes you think you can’t move without damaging some valuable antique.

I like to get up and out very early, and I was lucky to be here over a weekend when the morning drizle was an enjoyable, invigorating addition to my brisk walk up to the coffee shop fo r my first cup of the day. The water around me seemed a luxury after dry California. Back in my room just after sunrise, I climbed back into that cushy nest of quilts and pillows for my second cup, which Melody delivers personally at your door half an hour before breakfast. It was also time for my late-sleeper husband to roll over and rev up the laptop (great wireless internet in our room!).

This place has everything we needed for a comfortable stay. In our room, at least, we had two settees, a desk and writing table, a large and modern bathroom with robes in the closet and toiletry items handy. I found an iron with a drop-down board and an extra hair dryer; there is a small refrigerator and tea station with a cookie jar right outside our door.
Our breakfast was fresh, warm cranberry scones and dutch babies loaded with fresh fruit—I didn’t eat again until mid-afternoon. (I wouldn’t give rave reviews to our other breakfast, eggs benedict, because I have an aversion to eggs, but my husband loved them, mine and his, and I had plenty to eat with the other items). The newly remodeled kitchen has cherrywood cabinets, granite countertops and a lovely little stained glass flower window. (see pictures)

If you are in Seattle during fall or winter and want a special treat or a home base, Mildred’s will give you real value for your money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
camanotoys
Reviewed 30 September 2008

We live just north of seattle about and hour and do weekend trips in to seattle we normally stay in a hotel down town but decided to give B&Bs a chance for a first time B&B stayer it was awesome we will be back.

Stayed September 2008
n. carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2007

We spent a lovely 4 nights here, our second time visiting. Thanks for the comfortable accommodations and your stupendous hospitality. This is the perfect launching spot- and yes, the breakfasts were devine! May God bless you and your family as you continue to provide for those of us who come to visit. We will be back.
Thanks again,
the Emmersons
North Carolina

• Liked — coffee/juice prior to breakfast and of course breakfast!
  • Disliked — happy with everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelnow_7
Arizona
Reviewed 26 June 2007

From the web-site, it looked to be the perfect B&B. What a disappointment. This place has so much potential, but needs a good overhauling. This Victorian house could really be so charming, but sadly it is not. Although there was an attempt to have an inviting and cozy atmosphere with the fireplace blazing in the living room and a cat sleeping in front of it, it just didn't make the grade. The place was cluttered with shabby old furniture and "stuff." The sleeping rooms were okay, although bedding was not crisp -- seemed old and worn. My husband and I had booked the "Green Room" and my sister and brother-in-law had booked the "Blue Room" for the three nights. Upon returning from our outting on our first day, the proprieters had disappeared (we wondered if they even lived there, where did everyone go, where do they sleep?). We had a bottle of wine and went into the kitchen to look for some wine glasses. What a shock!! Once we saw the kitchen, we lost our appetites for breakfast there and checked out early. There were old English Muffins still in the toaster, butter left out on the counter (we couldn't help but think, were we going to be served that in morning?) . Greasy floors, appliances, and counters. Black bananas in the sink, and even a bug in the wine glass in the cabinet! How can anyone cook a gourmet breakfast in that gross kitchen and serve it to the public? The back yard was full of junk also!! We couldn't get out of there fast enough -- no breakfast for us. On a good note, though, my sister did say she had a really good shower and slept pretty well. Sorry, but if you're looking for a good Bed & Breakfast in Seattle, you may want to pass on this one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The filthy Kitchen
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sugar_shell
california
Reviewed 20 June 2007

This is by far the loveliest Bed and Breakfast we have stayed at, friendly and relaxed. The room was clean, the bed devine...haven't slept better at any B&B, we've stayed around the country and Europe. What a convenient location to downtown and beautiful Park across the street.
You made us feel so comfortable and your breakfasts were superb; so delicious, well prepared and beatifully served. Yum! the cookies... .amazing!
Your warm & helpful spirit and hospitality are such a blessing, making our anniversary weekend very special. We will definitely be back to stay.
Thank you again!

• Stayed May 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jeffscott