“Functional Motel Near Wallingford n Fremont”
Review of Marco Polo Motel

Marco Polo Motel
Ranked #83 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We needed a economical place to stay while we found a place to live in Seattle. This worked for us for 5 days. The furnishings and linens ARE OLD but we found the place to be clean. They do have coffee and packaged muffins in the morning. It is convenient to have a small frig and microwave in the room, computer for use in the office, free wifi (we were in a room near the office and it worked great), and laundry facilities on site. The parking is also free which can save you alot in downtown Seattle. You can walk to Wallingford and Fremont which both have groceries, restaurants, entertainment (movies, pubs). We walked during the day and at night, together and solo, and did not feel afraid.
The staff are very helpful. They gave us directions for catching the bus (right up the street) to downtown; the trip took about 10 minutes including stops.

Room Tip: If you want in-room wi-fi, ask for room closest to office.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LewisandLisa

Reviewed 13 October 2012

A run-down establishment with filthy mattresses colourful stained and a stained matching ceiling. Breakfast facilities almost non-existant and a very poor choice, a coffee in a plastic cup and a small muffin.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I'm by no means going to argue for this hotel. For the price is was just fine. Had a nice big room- had three beds to ourselves (there was only two of us) the price was decent and we weren't cheated on anything. Looks like a seedy area- but it's not that bad. Looks scary at night but during the day, looks ok. It's a little tough getting to downtown if you're not driving. We had a hard time trying to catch the bus. Maybe we weren't seeing the right schedule but I couldn't find an easy way to get downtown from where we were at. It's however only an $18 cab ride.

The hotel itself was a no frills type of place, but it was very clean. The shower was a little small but it did the job well enough. Had a fridge and microwave which always helps when you are trying to stay in budget and keep food or make it. I would always much rather have a room that had those things. We were lucky to get a room and such a good deal in the time we did. The guy checking us in was very nice / helpful. I thourghly enjoyed this place and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We booked this hotel as it was the cheapest for Seattle as other hotels were coming in expensive for what we were looking for. We found some of the staff really nice and helpful(Jonathan). We found it to be in a decent location for our needs. The hotel is on the main road, but quiet enough in fairness. Go across the bridge to your left, walk in 2 streets, take a left and 10minutes down the road your in Fremont. Everyone seems to go to here on the weekend. Its a cool small part of town, with a lot going on. Every sunday they have the famous Fremont market going on and the place is buzzing. Some great food stalls here as well. Roxys diner is a good find as well, food is well tasty and resonable.

Behind the hotel there is another part of town that is decent as well. With plenty of places to eat and have a few drinks. All within walking distance, so you could leave the car at the hotel. Its only about another 10minute walk as well.

My problem with this hotel was the standard they have with their rooms. They look good and are of good size, plus the place is quiet enough. My issue was the towels had stains on them it made you think somebody did something to them.. And the bed had a stain on it too. Also I found 2 long black hairs on both of my pillows. When I went over about these issues to the staff,(chinese guy named Mark) he could hardy speak a full conversation and he didnt care what I had to say. And I ended up walking out after about 2minutes. I was really annoyed in his attempt to do something about it. He didnt do a thing and basically brushed me aside.. So I wasnt a happy man,but if im honest id stay here again no problems.
For us it worked well for us and would recommend it to others looking to stay in Seattle. All hotels downtown are expensive. And this did the job for us..
We're already looking at coming back to Seattle and will look at this hotel again..

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the ground floor, they seem to be bigger in size with a fridge and microwave..
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

When I travel for business I'm easy to please. A clean room where I can shower, sleep and go to the bathroom is all I need. So it takes a lot for me to give a place a bad review.

The good: the guy who checked me in was very, very nice. The toilet, sheets and towels (paper thin) were clean. Free, good wi-fi signal.

The bad: The couch smelled so musty that I put a towel over it before sitting on it. I couldn't close the bathroom window because the latch was broken off. The shower was filthy and didn't drain; I stood ankle deep in water. If you're lucky enough to get the loosely-termed "suite" you can see the downtown skyline off in the distance, just over the adult video store. All of the other rooms look out on the boarded up motel across the street. The vinyl backing was falling off the curtains, which made for interesting light patterns on them in the morning. And a lampshade had these weird, old water stains. I'm only assured by the fact that the stains went all the way around that it wasn't something more ... bodily oriented. Overall the place was just ratty. I really liked the thick, one inch wide border of ancient dust that circumnavigated the entire room, right where the vacuum cleaner can't reach it. Also, the motel can't be blamed for this, but the traffic noise on Hwy. 99 is terribly loud. This is also the first time I've ever seen what can only be described as wilting plastic flowers.

I stayed here once before a couple of years ago in a non-smoking room that smelled like an ashtray. Buzzing refrigerator kept me up all night. Never wanted to stay again, but I didn't make the reservation this time and didn't recognize the name until I drove up to it. At which point my heart sank.

The room was cheap. $59 in Seattle awfully low, but you'll get what you pay for. I didn't give it one star because I've stayed in worse. (Nothing will ever beat that awful stay in the thankfully-now-closed Pacific Motor Inn in Springfield, Oregon!)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Avoid this place like the plague! We found about 100 small, black ants all over our room. When we brought this to the attention of the manager we were told that we brought the ants with us and they refused to help us. We were not comped and charged the whole $75. The staff is rude, unhelpful and the rooms are disgusting. There were ants carrying food around and we had not even eaten in the room!!! Worst experience EVER.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The room I was given was excellent. It was spacious, clean and comfortable with good amenities. The bathroom was very good. The reception service was helpful and friendly which was important as I was a newcomer. The WiFi service was good. The staff were super-nice, had a chat with you and helped you with anything that you needed. I had to cancel early and Jonathon (staff member) was wonderful in helping me with that. I wished I could have stayed longer as the room was so good and the service excellent.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo