“Ok stay but not again”

Ranked #84 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Missoula, Montana
“Ok stay but not again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

It was an ok stay, inexpensive and had a great location in Seattle. People at the front desk were very friendly and offered many suggestions from what you need to see to where the best dinner is served at. Great that they have wireless internet (a must for me). The down side was the room was a little small and dark and there was quite a bit of outside noise (guess we're in Seattle, bound to hear some). If on a tight budget, this is a great stop. If you can spare extra money, look elsewhere for a little more amenities and comfortability.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank missoulamiss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Olympia, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

At first I thought this place was going to be ok. It is old and needs some updating, but otherwise seemed fine. I didn't see any of the cleanliness issues in my room, but the couch was really kind of iffy -- old, velour-type fabric that had definitely seen better days. Had no trouble with noise but it was a Wed. night. The real kicker came when at 11:40am, getting ready to check out, the in-room phone rang but I was indisposed at that moment and did not answer. It rang probably 15 times. Just as I was picking up my bag to leave the room and check out there was a knock on the door (this was less than 5 min. after the phone ringing). It was the guy from the office who had checked me in the afternoon before. Understand that check out time is posted in the room as 12 noon. He was there to ask me if I was checking out that day, to which I said yes. When I mentioned the noon check out he told me that was the "maximum" time and that he did not want me to wait till the last minute!! He had customers coming and housekeeping needed to get in there! He was quite insistent and actually pretty rude about it! OMG!! Well, bucko, you don't need to worry about me waiting till the last minute to check out ever again because that is the height of unprofessionalism and poor customer service and I will NOT be back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank DPWOly

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Clarkston, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I booked this hotel the night before my trip. The man on the phone was very friendly, great personality, and professional. So my first impression was good which was helped with great pictures on the internet. My boyfriend and I stayed there for three nights and were impressed by the customer service, and cleanliness. The only thing we didn't like much was how firm the mattress was but I don't expect a tempurpedic for $70 a night! The Fremont area was a GREAT weekend getaway and I am glad I choose the Marco Polo. It was also EXTREMELY easy to drive around and get back to the hotel since it's right on Aurora Street which goes right down Lake Union and downtown Seattle or over to the University District.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor above the office area and traffic was not too loud.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
County Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

This motel saved us a lot of money and both the staff and the location were really great. The staff helped us with directions and even let us leave our luggage at the reception while we were gone during the day before we went to the airport. The location is pretty good - I have read some bad reviews - none of them were true! The neighborhood is safe and its a 10 drive either by bus or by car to the center of Seattle. There could be a little bit more of a variation to the breakfast but overall we were happy here and would come back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

This motel hosted a lot of partiers that kept us awake all night. We tried to call the front desk repeatedly, but no one answered. Heaven forbid there was an actual emergency! We also had no towels when we arrived. The room was dirty as well; we found some hairs and a rhinestone in our beds, and there was some sort of splatter on the wall. (??) Very disappointing!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank msiraj123
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for the luxuries of a hotel like the Hyatt, Westin or Sheraton in this place forget it. We were moving and needed a place to stay for cheap and we found the Marco Polo. The price was totally in our price range of what we wanted to spend.

We were checked in by Jonathan, really nice guy. The check-in process was quick and easy. I noticed how all he room keys are just laying on the front desk where anyone could grab one, that's a security issue. The lobby was small and kind of crowded with furniture, they had the breakfast set up in the corner and a computer set up right next to the entrance. The exterior of the motel looks well kept.

Our room...
Upon walking in we could smell a strange odor but got use to it and did not smell it anymore. The first thing I noticed were the several cigarette burns in the comforters on both beds. On one of the beds I pulled back the sheets and found several hairs, the second bed when I pulled the sheets back there were food stains and hairs (see pics). This did not bother us as we brought our own pillow and blankets to make the beds. Behind the beds we saw tons of dirt, food, trash etc that's probably been back there for months, years?

The fridge was clean but the freezer part was filthy and there was a quarter frozen inside (see pic), the microwave was pretty clean. When we checked in we were given instructions on how to work the tv, they only have about ten channels.

The bathroom is pretty small, towels need to be replaced (see pic) and the window could use a scrubbing. When taking a hot shower you can expect the entire bathroom to be wet from the steam...and I mean EVERYTHING, toilet paper will get soggy! The water pressure was insane but felt really good so some of you may need a helmet when showering.

On a good note the staff was very friendly, wifi worked great, easy bus ride into downtown and walking distance to the Freemont and Wallingford neighborhoods. There is no security here so on the weekend when the parties start you'll just have to bear the noise. We did not see any drug deals, hookers or crackheads as some others have claimed to see, maybe next time. The washer and dryer is a joke do not use them unless you want to keep feeding it your money.

• Stayed February 2013
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We needed a economical place to stay while we found a place to live in Seattle. This worked for us for 5 days. The furnishings and linens ARE OLD but we found the place to be clean. They do have coffee and packaged muffins in the morning. It is convenient to have a small frig and microwave in the room, computer for use in the office, free wifi (we were in a room near the office and it worked great), and laundry facilities on site. The parking is also free which can save you alot in downtown Seattle. You can walk to Wallingford and Fremont which both have groceries, restaurants, entertainment (movies, pubs). We walked during the day and at night, together and solo, and did not feel afraid.
The staff are very helpful. They gave us directions for catching the bus (right up the street) to downtown; the trip took about 10 minutes including stops.

Room Tip: If you want in-room wi-fi, ask for room closest to office.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business