“Nice hotel but very noisy”

Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown
Ranked #19 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Like any hotel, there are pluses and minuses.

Plus:
+Really clean rooms that look like they've been recently refreshed
+Super nice staff - friendly and helpful with recommends
+Lots of restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel, plus a big grocery store. FYI, avoid the conveyor belt sushi and thank me later.
+Decent amenities - there's a workout room with good equipment.

Minuses:
- Not really "in" downtown. Close to the Space Needle but if you want to hit up Pike Plce, you'll need a cab
-Not a restful sleep - both the walls and ceilings are paper thin. I could hear people walking around above me and conversation from the hall. The guy next to me must've had sleep apnea + IBS because I could hear him snoring and using the bathroom....A LOT. (I'm not a light sleeper BTW)

If you decide to stay here, pack earplugs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your honest feedback. It seems that during your stay there were some high points and low points. This feedback is extremely valuable to us as we continue to strive to become better. Please rest assure that I will share your feedback with my team. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this again on your next visit to the Seattle area.
Happy Holiday Season!!!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I stay at this hotel for 2 nights every year for the Seattle Marathon. It's in a great location by the Space Needle and theaters,- has friendly staff, is clean and offers a wonderful and complete breakfast every morning. And it's a minute walk to the starting line- bonus!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Rose C
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and extremely kind words. This means so much to us and we really appreciate it. We were very excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to see you again very soon on your next visit to the Seattle area.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was a bit hesitant to stay at this property since my last stay in Seattle at a Hyatt property was very good and Hampton Inn's are typically boring hotels. This property was a nice surprise.

Check in was a breeze and the front desk immediately upgraded me to a suite because of my Hhonors Diamond status. I felt welcomed here-they did a great job at explaining how to get a cab, what restaurants they recommended and how to get to my room (which actually was a bit complicated due to the layout of the hotel).

The suite itself was fantastic and about the size of my first apartment. It contained a decently sized functional kitchen, a desk, a fireplace in the living room and a large deck. Everything was new and very clean.

The breakfast was standard Hampton food (meh) but I found that the staff were very busy making sure it was well stocked and clean.

I loved that the entire daytime staff was celebrating in the lounge area (perhaps a birthday or retirement?) and taking pictures together. They genuinely seemed like friends who were happy to work here and it showed when they interacted with guests. My housekeeper greeted me with a friendly "good morning" each day during my stay. Little details like staff friendliness pushed this rating to 5 stars.

I didn't try out the fitness center, and only hope that it's at the same standard as the rest of the hotel.

I certainly recommend this hotel, at least if you can get a suite.

Room Tip: If going for a suite, avoid the lowest floor...at least from the sidewalk these suites looked below...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was my second time in a Hampton hotel and I must say that the second time was a charm. It was a way better experience than when I first stayed at the Hampton Inn in Niagara Falls, Canada. The Hampton Downtown Seattle has a great location and fantastic customer service. Aside from the complimentary breakfast, I love that they always have a cookie or brownie to offer at the front desk. The receptionist(Jose) was very helpful and accommodating. The rooms were new, clean, and spacious. I am looking forward to stay at this hotel again the next time I visit Seattle!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel is handy when visiting the Gates Foundation or the biomedical research centers of UW. it's also a good base camp for exploring downtown Seattle's touristy attractions. A large grocery mall, QFC, is just across the road, though it has an annoying tendency to require loyalty cards (for a visitor? Srsly?) to get prices that are only 10% rather than 30% higher than expected. Does QFC stand for Quite Fascinatingly (ahem) Costly?

The hotel itself is pleasant enough. Though, I could have done without the front desk staff trying to charge $10 more per night than I was quoted over the telephone (which was already on the high side). Likewise, being assigned a room that still reeked of tobacco. However, a firm correction remedied both situations.

The rooms are a bit dark, yet not oversized. The thick, downy duvets a.k.a. comforters on the bed felt nice and looked welcoming, but were so efficient at retaining body heat that I woke up at 2 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. It took an hour or so before I realized that I was just marginally too warm. No rearrangement of the plush duvets was successful in remedying the subtle overheating, though the room itself was quite cold. Usually hotels supply an on-bed covering choice, but not here. Finally I gave up and explored the cupboard, where I found a hard waffle-finish blanket. That in turn felt a bit too cold (first world problems!) but doubling it over solved that, and I finally fell asleep though with disturbed dreams regarding ballroom dancing classes and nasty alien abductions for which I can't honesty blame the Hampton Inn.

The breakfast buffet is a bit above average, though the selection of cut fruit is poor. But at least it is there. Oatmeal is good; the usual heart-stoppers are also there for those who wish to waddle up to them and dig their graves with their knives and forks, as I saw many choosing to do.

The bathroom was nicely finished, though I noticed that cups were only available in dead-tree style. A slight off note, as was the dowdy, downmarket single-ply toilet paper. Again, first world problems. I should be grateful to 'ave a roof over me 'ed, by Jove. Likewise, the hippopotamus-like rumblings and thuddings - bok bok bok braaam bok BAM bok BOK, you get the picture- coming from the underwhelmingly soundproofed ceiling at 4 AM seem unreasonable to complain about in the context of humanity's other problems, and were remedied by inserting ear plugs, which are essential travel accessories. Nevertheless, there is room to wonder why some people are so supremely gifted at making troubling, loud, weird, unnecessary noises for such a large part of their waking and perhaps even sleeping lives. It's a given that they each consume enough of the breakfast buffet for eight normal people. Insulating their grotesque acoustic emanations from reasonable hotel guests should be a priority.

Working in the room, which my concentration-intensive consulting gig required me to do in the mornings, was complicated on one occasion by a loud and jovial party, truly a party, taking place in the parking lot of the hotel. Lots of loud shouting and banter, with the participants wearing tiny pink conical party hats and occasionally driving around the parking lot and screeching their brakes, or, to be pedantic, those of their vehicles. After that eventually concluded, the maids started holding loud and animated conversations in the corridors. I envied their carefree happiness; truly. Eventually I gave up and reapplied the earplugs. Judging by the inadequate sound-proofing in all directions, up, down, and sideways, it seems that quietness is not a highly valued parameter in this location. I would not have thought that Seattle was incompatible with quiet and introspection, yet here, in the shadow of the Gates Foundation, such was the case.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Happy Holiday Season!!!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel. It is very well situated to go to concerts/events at the Key Arena or to visit the Space Needle and the surrounding area. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. Try not to rely on GPS directions, it's very confusing and unreliable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here for several nights. The breakfast is always awesome at Hampton, but this one was really nice! We had to cancel a reservation at a different Hampton in Canada and the front office worked it all out for us- it was awesome. It's small with narrow halls, but it's downtown.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family