“"Great place for a friendly, budget, flexible stay right by Pike Place Market!"”

The Green Tortoise Hostel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

In the middle of an expensive tour across North America, me, my husband and 16 year old son needed a budget place in Seattle as our base for a few days. The Green Tortoise Hostel proved to be perfect!

As the rest of our accommodation was to be in 4* hotels/ with family we did wonder how this stay would measure up. Needn't have worried! We had booked well in advance and reserved a room to ourselves, with 2 pairs of large bunk beds, each with their own curtain, fan and light. Large lockable underbed storage (take your own padlock if sharing the room with strangers). Room was tired in hotel standards - fine from a hostel standard.

Bathroom facilities were excellent - they look like they had been recently refurbished and were very spacious. Great showers with toilet, never needed to wait long for a shower.

Breakfast was a help yourself, make your own pancakes/ fried eggs etc all included in the price. A couple of nights of the week an evening meal is included too! We had a terrific spag bol.

Free internet and printing facility for tickets etc. Large lounge and dining space, very helpful staff, who lay on regular tours/ pub crawls etc for those wanting to see Seattle and/ or opportunity to connect with others here.

Finally - GREAT LOCATION! Right by Pike Place Market and the original Starbucks! VIbrant area in the daytime - close to the waterfront and transport connections. GREAT value for money. We'd come back here for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Blueskip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Great location, clean hallways, clean dorms, excellent bathrooms and very clean, comfy beds and pillows with privacy curtains and fans and personal light, friendly and helpful staff that try to meet your needs, great breakfast and dinner specials some nights they offer free dinner. Great friendly atmosphere. I recommend this hostel to anyone!!! Best hostel i've ever stayed at!!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We had issues with our flight and didn't get in until after midnight. The greeting at the door was perfect and our check in was very smooth. All the staff were super friendly. Walked into our room to find two different types of bunk beds, one set of twin size bunks and one set of full size bunks.

Had some concerns about the sharing of bathrooms, but I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 bathrooms on our side of the hallway. Each was new and clean overall. There was a slight musty smell to each when you first opened the door. Of course, I did bring flip flops to wear in the shower!! There were occasional waits in the morning as everyone was showering, however I never waited more than 5 minutes.

The kitchen access was great! Breakfast set-up each morning to make yourself something. Eggs, pancake batter, fresh cut up fruit, toast and all the fixings. Best coffee I had my whole trip!

There were large common areas and computers with free internet access. I had my laptop with me and had no trouble connecting to the free wi-fi.

Also great features....Each bunk has personal fans and a light, as well as plugs so that you can charge all electronics!

Didn't mention location....it's directly across the street from Pike Place Market!!!

Great stay!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I have never stayed in a hostel before and was leery when booking for a friend and I. I was able to book a private room for the 3 of us for a weekend stay. This was a long trip, with the first leg starting in Seattle followed by renting a car and driving cross country home to Philadelphia.

Great stay!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My friend and I stayed here for one night, and absolutely loved it. Very cozy rooms with personal fan and night lamp. There were even curtains surrounding the bed for personal privacy! The bathrooms were very new and clean. There is a common area where everyone hangs out and mingles. There is sometimes complimentary meals which is great when you are on a tight budget like we were, and the rates themselves were awesome! All the staff are very friendly and personable; willing to hang out while they're not working, and showing the local spots to hit in the city. This hostel made our visit to Seattle incredible.

All around a great place to stay, I highly recommend it!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Incredibly friendly staff. Though guests tended to be in their 20s or so there were plenty of folks of all ages, I'm 45 and pretty quiet & I didn't feel out of place. For those used to staying in average hotel (not hostel) chains it may be a bit shabby, but well worth it for the ambience, not to mention the price! Add free breakfast + 3 free tasty & hearty dinners per week, stretched my budget even further!

Room Tip: Stairs to reception; try for lower bunk