“Great, friendly place but could be larger”

The Green Tortoise Hostel
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I was here in June 2013 because as a solo traveler I wanted an economical place to stay where I could meet other travelers and be near the best attractions.

No doubt it's a great and popular hostel. Located just steps from the Pike Place Market and within walking distance of everything, it's an outstanding bargain. When you enter the hostel, you have to climb a long flight of stairs but that was no problem. Check-in is easy. You're given sheets (actually, they're already on the bunk/bed) and you can lease a towel for a $1.

When I was shown to my room, I was surprised to find two girls sharing one of the two double beds. I'm a guy so that was weird. Each room has four beds of varying sizes depending on theroom. They get pretty hot at night since there's just a fan, and you can hear every noise from traffic zooming by. (I didn't see any drivers zoom through town while I was out exploring, but at night it's a different story.) I like the privacy curtains, which you can just close shut and be in your own private compartment. Also helps to block out some of that noise.

I like the individual shower rooms. Just like going into your own personal tan-marble bathroom. They're large and really nice. Just watch your step as there's a low ledge to step over before you get in and lock the door behind you.

The common area needs some work. I didn't find it all that large and it was nearly always crowded. What's great though is that the hostel has free dinners three nights a week, and the two I was there for were really good. For the rest of the time, you have to cook your own food (as you do for most other hostels), but the stoves are gas and not too cooperative. If you're not familiar with gas, you can easily turn the flame up too high.

The kitchen has a juice dispenser oddly next to the sink, so if you want juice you have to wait until the people in front of you clean their plates. If you like to buy food to refrigerate, there's not a lot of space for that either.

But, hey, it's a hostel. I've been to better, but for Seattle this is really the best deal. You definitely won't need a car, and the subway/rail system is decent enough to get you in the general vicinity of where you want to go. You're also only blocks from the ferries which go to Bainbridge Island and Vashton. Make sure you take the ferry to Bainbridge at least once. It's a short ride and there you are in a different, more rural Seattle experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Freed0mt0travel

Reviewed 2 November 2013

It was first time I have hostel there. I arrived there late by Amtrak. It was no problem when I check in at about 11 PM and get upper bunk. I can't sleep with light on. I like curtain around bunks there. Finally they turn light off so I fell asleep. I enjoyed breakfast there. The orange juice machine was down so I did not have juice there. I had hot tea instead. They are across street from Pike Place Market. I only stayed there one night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This place was great. Best location you could ask for, across the street from the market and harbor. Great food in the area and plenty of interesting characters wandering around. Rooms was decent size, beds were comfy, bathrooms were very nice for a hostel. The staff were very helpful in splitting our bill and directing us around town. Free breakfast was tasty and well... free! Highly recommend the Green Tortoise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AarrrFarquar
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I flew from the UK to Reykjavik (definitely worth a visit) and then onto Seattle earlier this year.
A friend recommended this hostel to me, and I'm happy to say it was a solid recommendation!
A lot of the other reviews will tell you how great the breakfast here is, and you can add me to that list- really impressed with the amount of stuff available and of course, it's all free.
The best part was the location, which couldn't have been any better.
A short walk from the train station, right beside Pike Place Market, downtown but not in a 'rough' bit...it was great. Some people have complained about the homeless guys hanging around outside the hostel, and all I can say is that isn't really down to the hostel and is pretty commonplace in major cities these days.
The hostel hosts a free pub crawl as well, which just happened to be leaving shortly after my check in. Of course I joined and got to meet some fun people and get my bearings a little bit.
The showers were brilliant, although like most popular hostels you may find yourself waiting for a while to grab one. No worries though, there are usually a few free on other floors if you head up.
The rooms are a bit on the tiny side, but they have a good amount of storage under the beds.
I fit my huge bag, my skateboard, and some shoes in there comfortably. The curtains surrounding each bed are a great touch, more hostels should take note of that- simple, but effective.
The staff were fantastic, showing me to my room and always on hand to give out plenty of information. I must also mention the free walking tour, which can be done every single morning.
You have the choice between a dedicated Pike Place Market tour (samples aplenty!) or a walk down to some of the more famous spots in Seattle. The guide was brilliant, and wasn't your usual tour guide simply recycling from a script. He clearly loves his job, and his tour was perfectly geared towards a 'less touristy' tourist if that makes sense. He showed us some lesser known spots and recommended some cracking pubs which I went back to with some friends after the tour.
It was fun sitting down by the water enjoying a nice bit of clam chowder courtesy of the guide!
I only spent 5 days in Seattle before moving onto Vancouver, but I can't imagine a better stay than I had thanks to this hostel. Be sure to visit the green room as well- just sayin'.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I travelled by myself and found this hostel to be awesome. Easy train ride from the airport and perfect location opposite the Pike Market. The breakfast was great with a good selection and pancakes were also available. It was a really homely hostel and super easy to meet people. I met heaps of awesome people which added to my experience of Seattle. The Green Tortoise also had lots of activities you could take part in, which was a great way to see the city and meet the other travellers. Also there the rooms had privacy curtains which was a brilliant idea, good backpack storage and a good amount of bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The main lure to this hostel is the proximity to Pike's Market and that they have a deal worked out with a parking garage so that out-of-towners do not have to worry about finding a parking spot on the street. The room was, for the most part, clean; however, the fans provided need a good dusting because when my roommate and I turned ours on, chunks of dust blew everywhere onto our beds. Also, the bathrooms, though clean, had a heady smell of urine.
Efficiency at check-in and check-out need worked on. Staff was incredibly friendly; but, each time my friend and I had to visit the desk, it was at least a 10-15 minute wait. Ex: if a guest has been standing at the desk for 15 minutes, do not let someone else cut in front and take precedence over those that have been waiting longer.
It is up to the guests to deal with other unruly guests, the staff takes no action to deal with those that are loud and obnoxious, especially if they are screaming in the courtyard area at 7:30 in the morning for more than 20 minutes.
Also, $20 deposit per key, which is a plastic and easily replaceable keycard, is completely and utterly asinine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brittany_Hyde2007
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The facilities here are great. Clean and cool bathrooms, good beds - I really like the way you have a curtain and own electric sockets so makes it really private. It's a very busy place but I found the other guests really friendly. The breakfast is really good and free dinner a few nights a week. Love the location too. I'm over 40 and don't often stay in a dorm, I took a 4 bed dorm and everyone was quiet and respectful. I can highly recommend this place

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo