“Highly recommendable !”

The Green Tortoise Hostel
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel in Seattle in August 2014 for 8 days and my experience was excellent!

First of all, the location couldn't be more perfect: It's right across the street of Pike Street Market in downtown Seattle! Which is, in my point of view, quite safe too!

I stayed in a 8 bed female dorm which was perfect! The bed have each a lamp, a fan and curtains, which guarantee you a lot of privacy, which I really appreciated on my 8 day stay here! There are huge (!) lockers for everyone in the room, which is absolutely wonderful! The rooms are also extremely clean!

The bathrooms are luxurious! There are 5 single bathrooms just on the one half of the second floor where I stayed, which all are equipped with a huge shower, a toilet and a sink. They look newly built and are always really clean!

I would recommend everyone to take advantage of the free breakfast: eggs, pancakes, bread, lots of fruits, coffee, juices,.... And sometimes even BROWNIES! I absolutely loved it every day!

And my most favorite part: free meals 3 times a week! I had the chance to take advantage of the Pasta Night and Taco Sunday - which were delicious!

There are a lot of more good things: free wifi in the common room, organized tours at day and night, ....

I would recommend this hostel to people of all ages, no matter if they are traveling alone or in a group, and I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank elskimo

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The location fo the hostel is really good! everything is close and convenient (City target in the same block just 2 min away). It is safe and relatively cheap comparing to other hostels during summer (GT San Francisco was almost twice the price). Staff was busy almost all the day and they were training 2 asian people, so checking in was slow. The dorms are really small, is almost impossible to open 2 lockers at the same time.
Also, it was a little bit confusing the system with assigned bunk bed, I didn't know that I was in the upper bed until the next morning of my first stay and had to move everything to the other spot. BUT you will sleep pretty well because the bunk beds are big, steady and with curtains (something that every hostel should have!!) the only downside with my dorm was that the window was open all the time because of the A/C that was installed, so the place was cool but really noisy...Pike street market can be nice but at 7 am is a pain in the butt considering all the people/street performers/cars that go there.

The common areas, kitchen and bathrooms are ok but it was really disappointing that they had no freezer in the kitchen! I had to eat in a single serve 3 pints of ben and jerry's that bought before knowing they had no freezer. Breakfast is free and good, considering that you can have DIY pancakes and eggs, and taco nights/spaghetti nights were awesome! and the activities following them were really good and perfect for meet other guest.

Overall, Green Tortoise is a good place to stay and I totally recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NicolasRuiz
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at the Green Tortoise last week (August 13-15) and it was a very nice experience. The water pressure in the bathrooms wasn't very good, but it's an old building and I understand those sorts of things are expensive and complicated and I like that it's a cheap place to stay. However, if you bring bar soap (which I did because I flew and you can only have a small amount of liquids), bring a soap dish as there is nowhere to put your soap while you are showering.

There was no air conditioning but most places in the area don't. They do provide an individual fan, light, and privacy curtains on each bunk which I really liked as well as the storage area.

The hostel is in a really great part of town with easy access to some must see sights in Seattle. I was able to walk to so much and there are buses and other public transportation options. There is a target right across the street for any items you may have forgotten or snacks/beer and it's also right across from Pike Place Market. I could not believe the location. It was perfect! There are many activities planned throughout the week such as free meals at the hostel, pub crawls, a music tour, food tour, movies, etc. I didn't get to partipate because I was there for such a short time and had other commitments. When I visit Seattle again (which I will), I'm gonna stay at Green Tortoise and do more of the activities. It's a great way to meet people and see the city.

The staff were amazingly friendly and knowledgeable and helped us wih everything we needed. They also have great recommendations for things to do.

I walked a lot while I was in Seattle and really enjoyed the smoking lounge and the massage chair in the common area which made relaxing after a long day very easy.

Great place to stay for a great price but I recommend bringing another pillow.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a fantastic hostel in an awesome location! Pike Place market across the road was great, and we mostly walked everywhere we wanted to go in the city.

My boyfriend and I spent four nights in a co-ed dorm. The room was well set-up with double-bed bunks (comfy), privacy curtains, huge storage lockers and a sink which was handy for water and teeth brushing. The bathrooms were outside of the room, but there were always plenty unoccupied.

The hostel was very quiet at night, clean and had a relaxed and comfy vibe. It definitely catered for those who wanted to party by hosting a few pub crawls while we were there, and for those who just want to chill out at the hostel.

We went on one tour with the hostel tour guide which was excellent as we got to see a lot of local sights you wouldn't know about as a tourist.

The free dinners were awesome, breakfast wasn't too bad but nothing special.

The only downsides were no wi-if in the rooms and it was very hot inside the hostel during late July, especially in the dorm. Otherwise, an excellent hostel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DHSJ154
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here three nights in a co-ed dorm with a friend and absolutely loved it. The location could literally not get any better! It's right across from Pike Place Market and just a 10 minute walk from the the waterfront. The staff were the nicest and most helpful people, and overall the hostel was kept very clean. The rooms were actually fairly large and the furniture was very sturdy and nice. Each bunk had privacy curtains, a light and a personal fan, as well as a very large storage area underneath for your luggage. Having a sink in the room was a huge plus- it allowed for brushing teeth and other things without clogging up the bathrooms. The bathrooms were individual private bathrooms and there were plenty of them so I never had to wait for one. Overall the hostel had a very chill and relaxing vibe, and it was easy to come back to and relax. The lounge had a lot of room to hang out or eat, and everything in the kitchen was available for use. My friend tried one of the free dinners and really liked it. The breakfast was okay, but hey- it was free! Literally the only suggestion to improve would be to have wi-fi all over the hostel, not just in the lounge. Personal tips- you'll need to rent a towel from the front desk for $1, and don't forget to bring a lock and some shower shoes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Codi B
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'd first like to say for my age I was scared travelling to a new country alone. I'm a 17 year old girl from Canada, I travelled without parents to go do some sight seeing before my grade 12 year! I was scared about being the youngest girl or human there theft, and being safe as it's located right next to the pike market.
The staff was beyond amazing and they went above and beyond making me feel safe as I was the only person under 20 there. I felt extremely safe and I met new people. I stayed in a 4 person female dorm and the 2 ladies that were in my room with me made me feel safe, did my hair with me and we even went shopping together.
It's very clean and worth the money especially for you get travellers, I felt super safe the whole time I was there. For 5 days it was just under 200USD.
I will be returning to this hostel and recommending friends!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed three nights and was very impressed. The room, I was in a co-ed four bed was very nice, and clean. I hade some great room mates, three nice girls from South Korea and nice guys from upstate NY.
The rate was awesome, $36 a night, which included breakfast each morning and two dinners, (Pasta on Sundays and Tacos on Tuesday). Breakfast was make your own eggs and pancakes, they had cut fruit (pineapple, grapefruit, bananas, toast with jelly and PB. Coffee, orange juice are also provided.

The common area had the free Wi-Fi and plenty of outlets and places to sit and relax. They recommended the Free Seattle Walking Tours (SFWT), Seattle 101, a pay as you wish tour that was very insightful, The tour guides James was great and over the course of two hours you see so much of downtown Seattle and some history you might not get otherwise.

They also have Pub crawl on Sundays and Tuesdays. I went to the one on Tuesday and had a great time, the bars were varied and very fun. There was a great mix of people, form all over the world and of all ages. I felt totally comfortable and was able to meet some very nice people.

You are right across the street form Star Bucks (this is NOT the first Star Bucks, although many people thought it was). There was a Target on the corner and a Seattle Coffee Works ( I went here as Starbucks, including the first were crazy busy). You are only 3 blocks from West lake station and multiple buss and trolley stops, I found getting a round rather easy. The Public Market Center (Pike) is right next door and is almost overwhelming the shops and offerings. The fresh seafood, and the fresh flowers are almost reason enough to go for a visit.

A few items to note, that have been covered in Trip Advisor before: If you don't have a towel, you pay $1.00 once (they are pretty good about this) and you get a towel. They have laundry service, $1.50 to wash and $1.25 for 40 minutes to dry (as of this writing), with a change machine down the hall. They front desk was wiling to answer any questions about directions, locations, getting around, etc.. I was super impressed with the courtesy and consideration they provided.

The place is not air conditioned, but you do get a fan on your bed so that helped. You do have a privacy curtain and sheets and a blanket are provided as well.

It can get a bit loud as you are near the Market and a busy intersection (which is cobble stoned), plus there are a lot of people about. But overall it was fine, the fan in the bed pretty much masks the street noise.

I stayed here in part to save some money and to get out of my shell, and I accomplished both. This place is a great deal and overall a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo