“Nice hotel for the money.”

Hotel Nexus Seattle
Ranked #71 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Nice hotel for the money.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I booked through Expedia based on the reviews I read on trip advisor. The customer service was very good and the staff went out of their way to be accommodating. Three of us came in on different flights. I was able to get a room upgrade. But they kind if switched up on us by changing the terms if the room while we were away from the hotel conducting business. I did not know of their terms that they do not accept cash payments for the room. I had to search for my bank downtown. I was issued a temporary debit card to satisfy the front desk. We were basically locked out of our room until the upgrade fee was applied. Other than that one of the front desk clerks spent a lot of time helping us find a spare wall charger for our cell phone. The shuttle drivers are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear KathyW116:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hotel Nexus on Tripadvisor. My apologies for the confusion about the form of payments accepted at our hotel and any stress this has caused. We do require a credit card at check-in then at checkout you can utilize the credit card given, another credit card or cash. Thank you so much for recognizing the customer service and exceptional staff that you encountered. I see by your comments you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle - this is a very popular service offered by our hotel.

Thank you again for staying at the Hotel Nexus and hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Michelle Caruso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Franklin, ky
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Well, we just got back from our vacation of 3 weeks and had traveled from Kentucky to Seattle and back. As we had sort of anticipated from the start, we may have car problems, and we did, and MATT from the front desk was able to move and exchange our reservations on no less than 4 times. We were able to finally make it to the hotel on the Thursday before we were supposed to cruise. The hotel has an awesome service called the cruise and stay (or something like that) where you are able to leave your car on the property while you take your cruise. They provide you a shuttle to and from the pier, and they MAKE SURE you make your cruise and that you are picked up. We had to wait for one of the other passengers to make the shuttle on the way back to the hotel after the cruise, but that is on the passenger and not the hotel. I would want them to wait for me too. We stayed in the Japanese room, or something like that, and it was wonderful. No kidding, the tub was an experience that I had not expected to be so good, and after driving half the country it was welcome to both my wife and I. The room was nicely furnished, and in keeping with their theme. Sarah AKA, WONDER WOMAN, when it came to the Saturday for us to go on the cruise. Our car wouldn't start so we weren't able to put it in the cruise and stay lot. Totally amidst the turmoil of frantic passengers eager to get on the shuttles, which were clean, comfortable and well driven, (no Mario Andretti here) stopped at yellow lights and waited for crosswalk pedestrians. Sarah was able to arrange a tow truck, take my keys, take the responsibility of ensuring my car was able to get to the dealership and to begin the repair, There were at least 15 people in the lobby and she and her staff were totally in complete control of the entire process. Admittedly there may have been people who thought there issues should supersede all others, as I heard one fellow traveler explain to Sarah that her taxi was taking too long and it was 10 minutes since she had asked one to be called and it still hadn't shown up. Sarah handled it gracefully and called again, at which time that she explained the taxi was already waiting outside while the lady was inside wondering where it was at. Also at the top of my list is Ricky AKA CATO from the Green Hornet. He was able to help me with the rooming issues, my now unknown repair schedule on my broken car was causing. The whole staff totally put us at ease, and made a good vacation great. I suppose you can find problems where ever you want. The first day we had breakfast we had to look around for a seat to eat, the second day we sat with a Mother/daughter who's husband/father was in the hospital in Seattle and they were staying at the hotel with a reduced rate and the hotel shuttle took them to the hospital, (my car problems are nothing compared to what they were going through), so finding a place to sit down to eat isn't really THAT big a deal. I liked what a lot of other people say in their reviews and for the pluses and I will definitely go back there. Everyone there that I encountered cared about what they are doing and strive to get better. Their smiles are genuine and there concern as well. If you are trying to save money this is a good place to start. Totally recommend the Saffron Grill as well for a nice dining experience with different choices/flavors than your normal fare. I really don't have anything to say to make this stay anything less than excellent. My only change I would recommend is that they consider placing some non skid strips at the bottom of the steps from the Japanese tub as I thought this was quite slippery.

Room Tip: I always like a bottom floor for egress and loading and unloading from the car.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Beckie C:

Wow, what an amazing review of the Hotel Nexus! So glad you experienced the "Nexus Touch" of hospitality with several of our employees. I hope your cruise was fantastic and so glad you were able to utilize our cruise and stay program. It is an amazing package which includes the room, complimentary shuttle and parking of your vehicle. Our Japanese soaking tubs are quite popular and thank you for your suggestion on the need for a non-skid surface at the base of the stairs.

Thank you reviewing the Hotel Nexus on Tripadvisor and hope to see you in the near future!

Zillah, Washington
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I'm a little torn on this place.

The pros

Easy acess to 5
Friendly staff
Comfortable bed

Cons

Exteral entrance to all rooms
Thin walls that hear pipes rattle
Not base trim ( had been tore off but not put back on)
No info packet in room explaining anything about hotel or area.

So in review if you want a comfortable room and can over look some cosmetic thing it's a pretty good deal.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NWFamily034
Dear NWfamily034:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Hotel Nexus on Tripadvisor. Our comfortable beds and easy access to Interstate 5 are just a few reasons that so many guests think of us as their second home. But the biggest reasons our guests frequent the Hotel Nexus is what you pointed out - our friendly staff! I'm sorry you were in a room with no base trim - we recently replaced the carpet and the baseboards are being installed this week.

Thank you again for choosing the Hotel Nexus for your stay and hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the near future!

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Nexus over Labor Day weekend because literally everything closer to the center of the city was full or astronomically priced. As a standalone hotel, Nexus was great - rooms were spacious, modern, bright, and clean. The free breakfast was also a nice perk. The free shuttle to downtown Seattle was nice, as well, with limitations. The shuttle can fill up quickly, so in some cases it's necessary to sign up for seats at least 12 hours in advance - not ideal for tourists who want a flexible schedule to wander around. Also, the shuttle only runs once every few hours, and not very late at night. One night we ended up taking on of the public buses back, which worked out fine but required about a half-mile walk in the dark - possibly a bit scary for some. The hotel staff was friendly, but not all that knowledgeable about what was going on in downtown Seattle, unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrunerVeltiner
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear GrunerVeltiner:

Thank you very much for reviewing your Labor Day weekend stay at the Hotel Nexus. I was so pleased that you recognized our rooms to be bright, clean, spacious and modern. A lot of our guest choose us because of our location and the complimentary shuttles to area hospitals and attractions. I'm glad you noted that you need to sign-up in advance, our shuttles are very popular. A note on our complimentary breakfast, we are looking at a change to our set-up and menu to better service our customers in the future.

Thank you again for choosing the Hotel Nexus and hope to serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I did not check out yet but I just want to write this for the manager to read. This morning I walk towards Steve who was talking to the shuttle driver..I said excuse me but he made me shut up by his hand gesture telling me to stop and start talking to the driver again. I felt so embarrassed in front of other guests. After he talked to the driver I asked him again if this was the 10 am shuttle he said he don't know but he was holding the list. He left me and he was rushing to go inside. The driver was so kind and said he will be right with me. I went to the front desk and ask the other man for his name. (That's when I got his name). When he heard I asked for his name he followed me outside and apologized for being rude earlier.. Really? only now he is apologizing to me? Only now he noticed he was rude? If he knew he was rude he should've apologized that time and not after he embarrassed me. And he actually confirm my drop off and pick up time..really!!' I thought he does not know? is this the way this things work out here? you have to make your guest upset before we get the good service? I work at the same industry, front desk also but I am not rude to our guest. Whatever I am doing or If I am having a conversation to other employees no matter what, if a guest come and ask for assistance I stopped whatever I'm doing and I will attend to my guest and assist them right away or we could have ask them nicely if they could wait if we are very busy..That is what you call a good customer service. I understand the pressure and stress at the desk specially in busy times but we should always think that without the guests there will be no job for us. We should always treat our guests with respect. We should always make them remember their nice stay at the hotel so they will keep on coming back, not just to give us business but for the employees also. Even though a place is not a 5 star hotel if the service is excellent, guests will keep on coming back to the same place.

Mary Jane
Room 144

• Stayed September 2013
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Mary Jane:

Firstly, let me say how sorry I am for your experience. You are one hundred percent right that no guest should ever be treated or made to feel as you did. I'm sorry I didn't see your response on Sunday, as I was not working. I hope the rest of your visit and shuttle experience were pleasant. The hotel you work at is very lucky to have an employee, like you, that sees and exercises exceptional guest service!

My apologies again and hope to have the opportunity in the near future to serve your needs.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here for 10 days to be near my son and daughter in law - their place is too small to accommodate visitors and I wanted somewhere nearby but bigger than a hotel room. I took the Queen suite with separate lounge and with its own kitchen. I found The Nexus to be exactly as advertised.. No more one less. I could work there when I needed to, make my own breakfast, tea and coffee (nice coffee provided every day for coffee maker) - and I could cook a simple meal if I wished, or order room service from the Indian restaurant downstairs which was pretty good. There is a 7-11 next door and a Starbucks across the road and a mall 5 mins walk away. Staff were great.. Friendly helpful and just very nice all round! Great value for money and had everything I needed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sallyj56
Dear Sallj56:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. I was so pleased you recognized our friendly and helpful staff - experiencing the "Nexus touch". Many guests find our proximity to Seattle, Northgate Mall, tourist attractions and hospitals make the Hotel Nexus the ideal location. Our suites are ample with modern amenities with some contain kitchenettes. I hope your family visit was great and thank you again for choosing the Hotel Nexus.

We look forward to your next visit to Seattle and the Hotel Nexus!

Kalispell, Mt
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was having surgery in Seattle, Wa and booked this hotle because of the low rates. I guess "you get what you pay for" is true. I gave the staff a credit card and it was not to be billed until I checked out. Well the hotel (loose term here, motel is better) not only billed my card prior to my checking out but billed it 2x + more than the bill!! I changed hotels to be closer to my hospital and was notified about the billed from my CC company. I called the hotel and drove back to the hotel to get the problem rectified. The manager would not speak to me and a billing employee handled the problem and when I asked her why the over billing happened, she stated "I don't know"!!

I waited while she faxed my CC bank and "released" the charge and stated it would be creditied immediately. I am still waiting hours later.

Beware of overcharging and charges prior to checkout. I am talking about over $800.00 so be cautious. The hotel is not secure and in an iffy area so just watch yourself.

I would not return there or recommed this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank antibaba
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Barbara:

I'm sorry I was not able to speak with you directly when you came to the hotel, I was assisting a guest with a pressing issue. In reviewing your reservation I see that you requested to come in two days early, on a sold-out weekend, where we were fortunate enough to be able to make your reservation. Because your reservation was made within a twenty-four hour window, of your new arrival date, an authorization for room, tax and incidentals was applied to your card. I was so very pleased to see that Nikki Brame, our Director of Sales, was able to reduce your rate by $230.00 plus tax for your two additional nights of stay.

The credit card was charged at checkout and the additional authorized amount was released. To expedite the release, our accounting clerk, was able to fax your bank directly for the release. My apologies for the inconvenience and hope all went well for your hospital visit to our area.

Michelle Caruso

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels