“Great lodging, I'll be back”

Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Olympia, Washington
“Great lodging, I'll be back”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I had stayed at the Maxwell Hotel on Roy last summer, and wanted to go back, however, there were no rooms available. They recommended Hotel 5 as it's owned by the same company. Reviews were less than glowing, but they said they had just finished a complete remodel, and the price was right, location excellent. I was not disappointed. The rooms are clean and inviting, bedding was luxurious, and the staff friendly and very helpful. And, the rooms were so quiet, you didn't hear the rooms next door. I would highly recommend this hotel, as well as the Maxwell. They owners know what they're doing.

Room Tip: Call and reserve directly with the hotel. I got a better price than on line.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank huskiemom_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cerritos, California
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My husband and I came here for a long weekend getaway. Booked our room through the Hotel Five website and scored a great deal- "Stay 2 nights get the 3rd free- including free breakfast and parking." Our room was remodeled- modern/boutique vibe. It was small, but clean. Just a few gripes...There was no iron or hair dryer in the room (which I think are standard amenities in a decent hotel.) Nor was there any sort of shelf in the shower stall to put soap or shampoo. It was an inconvenience to have to constantly bend down for me, being 6 months pregnant...Walls are thin, so we heard our neighbors partying next door, and early in the morning, heard construction going on in the parking lot down below. Also during our stay, the elevator broke once, but the staff was very apologetic about it.
Location was fine- walking distance right in between downtown and the Space Needle. Overall, if you are on a budget, this a great alternative to the pricier chain hotels downtown.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lil_lan22
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I stayed at Hotel 5 at the end of June, not knowing what to expect. The website has some pictures, but none that really show what the hotel really looks like. It is very modern and walking distance to pretty much anything. The main purpose of my visit was to shop and go to a ball game. It was a 10 min walk to where all the great downtown shopping spots are and about a $15 cab ride to Safeco. Not to mention it was a short walk to Pike Place Market and a 2 minute walk from a grocery store. I will most definitely be staying at Hotel 5 when I come back to Seattle!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank adnama90
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your great photos! We're Glad that Hotel FIVE's great location helped you to enjoy your time in Seattle! We have just completed the first phase of our remodel and will be posting some additional pictures of our own very soon!
Thanks again!
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We booked this hotel when it was the Ramada and however when we called in the middle of May to confirm our reservation (my family and I like being prepared). There was no notification that the name of the hotel had changed (I can see why the Ramada Chain dropped them!).

When my family and I flew into Seattle from Hoboken, it was already very late and our 3 & 4 yr old girls were very tired and just wanted to sleep. We went searching for the hotel in the dark in our rental car even though we had GPS the city impacted the signal, we contacted the hotel and was give bad directions. So after about 30 minutes being lost downtown we stopped at the Westin and asked where this hotel was, luckily they pointed us to the right direction however I wish we did stay at the Westin.

Finally arrived at the hotel and it was nothing like I had booked! The hotel had little to no parking and expected me to pay $24/night for parking my SUV, I told them when I booked I was never told of any parking fees! I asked for them to cancel my reservation and they refused to cancel it. They said it was against new hotel policy.

I asked to speak with the manager and allegedly she wasn't in. Apparently the hotel had a renovation, but the smell was overwhelming and made my wife sick to her stomach. We stayed the night against our will. The problems we encountered were so excessive that I don't know how the owners can justify the hotel or it's management.

The next morning I discussed our situation with the manager 'Julia' and she stated that if we didn't like it we could checkout but a refund for the unused nights takes 7-10 business days to process. I requested a full refund and she told me we used the room for 1 night so we weren't justified for a full refund (we had a 7 day reservation).

The beds were terrible and lumpy, same with the pillows. Toilet ran all night even after numerous calls. Put next to Elevators after being requested not to. High Speed (HSA) was so slow!

This manager was one of the worst I have ever encountered. I will never stay here at this motel again. Yes the doughnuts at Top Pot were delicious, however we moved to the Westin and I tell you it made such a huge difference.

When in Seattle You get what you pay for! Never again will I stay at that hotel. I have been in contact with the Better Business Bureau and the City Council regarding this company.

Room Tip: Go to a Marriott, Sheraton, Westin or a HoJo!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank HobokenFamily
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Thank you for your feedback. Your guest experience, as you've described it, is unacceptable to us and I am very concerned about this level of satisfaction.

There is some confusion on a few items you mentioned in the review; our overnight guest parking is $15 per night and our parking fees are advertised clearly on our site and partner sites. We were also surprised to hear about your experience with our wireless internet as we have recently upgraded our system to provide our guests with superior speed and access.

Similarly, we were saddened to hear about your experience with our room product. We have taken great care in selecting room products of exceptional quality, from our beds to our bath amenities. We'd love to speak to you personally. Please contact me directly at 425.367.8045 so that we may discuss the specifics of your stay.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is in the process of being renovated. The windows do not open in any of the rooms so there was no way to vent the odor of fresh paint and new carpeting. The smell was overwhelming. The air conditioner was not adequate to cool the room. We had no hair dryer, ice bucket or glasses. There was no shelf in the shower to put our shower supplies. The shower was plugged so we spent the first night standing in 2” of water. The staff tried to unclog it the next day but were unsuccessful and the room smelled like chemicals when we returned. Again, no way to vent the room. We ended up moving the the 5th floor. Parking is scarce and the spaces are very small. No way to park a full size car or truck.

Helon Meyers
rm99844@yahoo.com

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank RoseMichaels
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
We're sorry about the poor stay you had in June.

Thanks to feedback like yours, we have made adjustments to our design and execution during the second phase of our remodel. I am happy to report that all our rooms feature hair dryers, ice buckets and a corner shelf in the shower cabin, as a result of our guests' comments.

We have plans to restripe the parking deck to allow for larger spaces for guest cars. Thank you once again for your comments and for helping us adjust our services and amenities for all our guests! We hope to welcome you back now that our hotel has touches in it that you will appreciate!

In the meantime, all the very best!

Marco Baumann
Managing Director
Houston
Reviewed 5 June 2011

When I initially booked the hotel it was a Ramada, so when I received my confirmation and saw that it was Hotel Five I was very worried. However, from the moment I stepped into the hotel my expectations were constantly exceeded with the nice and helpful staff to the trendy hotel rooms to the great location. I stayed on the 5th floor which was renovated, so that may explain the difference between my review and past reviews. The location was also great. It was a 7 minute walk to Pike's Place and 10 minute walk to the space needle. The only negative is parking is a bit tight. Considering I have paid $40/night for parking at some downtown hotels, I can't complain that much because it was less than $15/per night. Without a doubt, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank LovesAWorldTravel
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a conference for four days. The hotel is no longer a Ramada but is now a hotel5. Our room was very dated, bizarre tropical colored bedspread. We had two beds in our room, one was okay and the other fairly comfortable. One thing I did like was that they had two pillows, one firm and one soft. Also, this hotel had probably the best hotel towel that I've ever seen. One of the worst showers however, I'm six-feet tall and the shower head at the highest point came to my chin., I asked and they are fixing that in the remodel. They are currently remodeling the top two floors. You could hear the workers during the day but not at night. The elevator smelled slightly of drywall. The only way up or down was via the elevator, the stairs are fire escapes only. The location of the hotel is perfect. Six blocks to pike st. market, the convention center and the space needle. We got a really good price on booking.com (may not be the case anymore, as they are no longer a Ramada). Some sort of free breakfast would be nice, but Top Pot doughnuts is right next door and probably the best doughnuts I've ever had (two of my uncles are bakers, I know baking!). Overall I'd stay there again, especially after the remodel, but that's mostly due to the location and price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business