“Great Hotel”

Ranked #28 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This is a great hotel with everything you need for a great price. Rooms are really spacious and very clean. The hotel is also very 'funky' the decor and furniture is very retro.
Staff were friendly and helpful. The location is also great, everything is within walking distance.
I would recommend this to anyone visiting Seattle. We stayed for 3 nights but only paid for 2 as part of a promotion they were offering which was also great and made this even better value for money.

2 Thank cday84
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel! We're delighted it met your needs and that our staff impressed you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We just returned from a two night stay at Hotel Five. We stayed for two nights arriving on November 4th and departing on November 6th. While I would recommend the hotel in the end, there were a few concerns and criticisms I had, which I will address here. I think the hotel has a lot going for it and the pluses certainly outweigh the minuses. However, I would recommend doing your research and determining if the hotel fits your needs prior to making a reservation. First of all, the reviews on Trip Advisor should only be given your consideration if they have been placed since the transition from Ramada to Hotel Five. The latter has only had the property for less than a year, I believe, and renovations and construction are still underway. They were renovating the second and third floors when we stayed on the property. It would be wrong to crucify the current ownership for the failings of the previous folks. They are clearly still working out the quirks and constructive feedback from folks such as us will help them in refining their transition for the better. Anyway, I made our reservation by calling the hotel directly and negotiating a rate. The man I spoke to was very nice. He offered a Fifth Avenue queen for $123.00 per night. The conditions were that by making the purchase more than 21 days in advance I could secure that rate, but I would have to pay in advance and it was non refundable. I did so and originally made a reservation for the nights of October 28th and October 29th. However, a family emergency came up and required that our trip be cancelled or rescheduled. To their credit Pineapple, the owners, were in fact willing to let me reschedule for the following weekend. I truly expected they would tell me I was up a creek and they could care less while keeping my "non refundable" money since those were the terms I agreed to. Although, the women I spoke to did add that the rate might change for the alternate dates I was choosing. I had no problem with this, but what I did take offense to was what she said next. She indicated that if the rate were to be higher than the $123.00 I had already paid that they WOULD charge me the difference. However, if the rate was lower, "Unfortunately we are NOT able to refund any difference back to you." So, in other words they have no qualms about asking for more money, but are tight fisted about offering any savings back to the guest. When I inquired further, the representative could not really offer me an explanation as to why this is. Then, sure enough, she informed me that the room I was staying in was available for $101.00 per night. I had surrendered an additional $44.00 for it over two nights. I had read from previous reviewers that the hotel had given them vouchers for the lobby diner during their stays. I was hoping they might offer $10.00 or $20.00 in such to me as a kind gesture given the rate difference, but I had no such luck. Given that they were willing to amend my reservation dates I decided to just take the loss in the end.
On the day of the our arrival I tried calling the hotel twice just to confirm my reservation and to inform them of our likely arrival time. To my suprise, and annoyance, I listened to an automated recording tell me to press one button to speak to a current guest and another to make a reservation, then simply repeat itself. What about an option to speak to the front desk? When I called the third time during the drive up from Portland that evening, I finally spoke to an actual person who answered the phone. Check in was easy and the man on duty was friendly. I believe it may have been the same man I spoke with when I made my reservation initially. There are no bell hops, but you can pull right up to the front door with your car. The entrace is covered and well lit. The parking lot is tight and the spots are narrow, but I made it work. The parking rate for guests is $15.00 per night. My only annoyance upon check in was the agent questioned my room rate once more, despite my having pre-paid and the conversation I had had with Pineapple's reservation center. Perhaps I sound like I am being a tightwad here? But, if you were quoted a rate and told it was the lowest rate available. Then, you are sent a reservation confirmation that lists a rate $22.00 per night cheaper, but told that you are out of luck and to consider yourself lucky they were even willing to amend your previous reservation. Would you then be annoyed at the prospect of potentially being asked for pay even more upon check in? While this annoyed me, I do want to add the counter agent was exceedingly polite and professional, even amidst this. He did not attempt to charge me a higher rate in the end, but he did inform me that I should not have been granted a reservation change at all per the terms of my original reservation and rate. I tend to see it differently, as did the woman who made the change for me to begin with. She had said that if someone was seeking to stay at one of their properties as a guest, then their duty should be to try and accomodate that request, not to scold them over fine print and terms. Anyway, one last thing to share is the hotel runs $20.00 per night initially upon your credit card to cover incidentals. I found this reasonable compared to other hotels which block our hundreds of dollars without seeking permission.
The room we stayed in, number 517, was nice and exactly as the pictures describe. There is a blackout shade on the window which is nice for sleeping and a second privacy shade which allows for sunlight. Everything in the room was nearly new. We enjoyed some television in bed after gorging at the Cheesecake Factory the second night. Although the cable channel selection is very basic and limited. There are also no in room pay movies, nor dvd players. The counter agent did mention to another man checking in prior to us that they are working on the adding the former amenity, I believe. There is a nice single cup coffee maker in the room with plenty of supplies, ice bucket with accessories, and complimentary bottled water. The washrooms are quite nice. They are tiled with dispensers of moisturizer, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. The shower had a nice cascading shower head which was to die for. There was also an in room safe, which I appreciated and utilized. There was a hair dryer, iron, and ironing board. We called the desk for extra coat hangers and they brought some up almost immediately. We used the complimentary wi fi each day. Now, with that said, when I said to do your research and decide if the hotel is right for you, this is what I was referring to. The rooms are newly renovated, artsy, and it is clear the owners are putting a lot of work into the place. However, I could honestly see how the property would not be for everyone. Some folks are bound to find fault. One woman we encountered in the elevator one evening made the observation of, "They are a lot like dorm rooms, aren't they?" The property is not a five star. No bell hops, room service, continental breakfast, etc. If you want that drive six blocks or so south and stay at the Westin. The rooms are not large. This is where I think the comment of the lady in the elevator fits in.They suited us fine as a couple, but if I were travelling with a family or children I would be hesitant, even with a double. Our room had a bed a small desk area and one plush chair with a small ottoman. There is not a lot of room to stretch out. What this property truly has going for it is the location. We left the car idle all weekend and walked everywhere. The monorail passed by our window and I truly loved it. I would perhaps recommend a Space Needle view room, but avoid the courtyard on the backside and the city views are limited as well. Ask to face fifth avenue or the needle. Also, try to get a room on the top froor if you can. Our room looked almost window to window into the passing monorails, which I enjoyed for watching the people. The Top Pot Donuts a block away is adorable and a must see for the ambiance and a cup of coffee. The historic Cinerama is a block away as well. We walked to the shopping district and even to Seattle Center and the Ride the Ducks easily. We even walked to Pikes Market and to Capital Hill for nightlife. The latter took about fifteen minutes. We took a taxi back from the hill one evening and walked the other evening without incident. Seattle does has a problem with aggressive pan handlers and mentally ill homeless folks accosting tourists verbally, but we never felt unsafe, even at 3:00 a.m. And, we saw none of this near the hotel at all. It is more of a problem in the shopping blocks. Case in point, the Cheesecake Factory is a magnet for such activity in. There is a visible police presence in the downtown area though. We saw many, many police officers.
Finally, other than the annoyance about the room rate, I would say my only other true criticism was the room cleanliness. By this I mean the room was clean, but not deep cleaned. The floors are tile in the bathrooms and hardwoods in the rooms themselves. The issue I took was with the amounts of dust I found in every cranny and covered area of the hardwoods. I discovered this because upon check in I did what is an unfortunate must when staying in ANY hotel these days, which is inspect the room for any signs of bed bugs. Thankfully I found none at all! However, under the bed was filthy with dust and their bunnies as well as all around the room where the baseboards meet the floors, under all of the furniture pieces, etc. When I removed the cushion from the chair it was a mess of crumbs and whatnot. It appeared the crevices had never been vacuumed. I was not saying the room was filthy with grime and unhygienic. That was not the case at all! However, if you have ever had a bedroom with hard wood flooring you will know what I mean. Periodically you need to vacuum and mop underneath the bed and in every last inch of every place. In your living room you have to vacuum our your couch and chairs once in awhile. If I were the housekeeping manger I would insist upon a deep cleaning of every room, not as part of daily service necessarily, but upon the turnover from one guest to the next that included thorough dusting, mopping, and vacuuming. Finally, I was very disappointed to also notice there was no encasement upon the mattress or boxspring as a preventative measure to stop the unwanted invading bed bugs. I do not think the hotel has a problem with such. Let me stress that. However, I would have liked to have seen evidence that, given the growing problem it is becoming and the amount of work they are putting into the property, that the hotel is taking a proactive and preventative approach to protecting their guests and their investment. Little things like this and the dirt and dust in the room are what prevented me from giving this review five stars. Thorough cleaning and regular inspections of their newly renovated rooms to protect their guests and investment would make me a definite repeat guest. I recommend this hotel be upon your short list of potential choices in Seattle. Just see if it fits your needs logistically and be sure to negotiate your rate.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JKPDX
Thank you so much for your detailed review of your stay (and the reservation process).
Details like the ones you provided will help us, as you intended, to perfect our systems, verbiage and communication to our guests! Thank you for taking the time to do that.

We are very concerned with the lack of consistency in our cleanliness and will address it immediately. Once again, thank you. We find it unacceptable to have a room product that is not perfect and "like new" for every arriving guest.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future! All the very best!
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Stayed 3 nights this September. Pretty convenient location. Right by Top Pot Donuts and a bunch of other restaurants. Done up pretty differently compared to your run of the mill hotels. It was a nice stay overall. Rooms were nice and the bathrooms were pretty cool. Toilet area is kinda dark though. One nice surprise was the fact that you couldnt hear the monorail. Probably more a function of the monorail than the hotel, but nice nonetheless. Best surprise was how good breakfast was at the restaurant. Keep in mind that its in transition, so the lower levels may not match the new parts.

Room Tip: Higher floor! Not sure if the upgrade for the Space Needle view is worth it.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We visited Seattle for a long weekend and the first night we were there our car was broken into in their parking garage. While this could have been a very negative situation the extremely helpful staff and hotel manager went above and beyond. Setting up the appointment to get our car window replaced as a storm was coming in. He also called the police for us and got two very helpful employees who completely cleaned the glass in our car.The whole staff and manager were very apologetic and went out of their way to make ammends. I would suggest if you stay at this hotel to be careful of blind areas in their garage where the security camera's don't reach.
On the positive side the room was wonderful with all the ammenities. It is at a good walking location to Seattle center, downtown, pike street market and the water front. The rates are very reasonable in comparison to all the other hotels in that area.I also loved that they had a Keurig coffee maker in the rooms with coffee. We will definitely stay there again when we visit Seattle. We want to thank the staff for going above and beyond. It was appreciated.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed for four nights at the Hotel Five and were very pleased with the customer service and cleanliness of the room. Wish they had a complimentary breakfast, but they did have a restaurant nearby with complimentary coffee always available. It was also near a great donut store (Top Pot) within easy walking distance. We will stay there again on our next visit to Seattle.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We visited Seattle for a week and stayed at Hotel Five, which was a Ramada that has been refurbished. It is the basic hotel with a clean, comfortable rooms and updated bathrooms. It has been redecorated with modern furnishings and bright paint colors so it's very eye catching! It's location is right on 5th Ave. so if you go, ask for a room at the back of the hotel and preferably on the 4th or 5th floor. The walls are a little thin so you might want to sleep with earplugs - I do no matter what hotel I stay in - but you can't beat the location. It is in walking distance to all the sites downtown, close to the market, restaurants, Space Needle, etc. Be sure to check out the glass blowing shop across the street and down from the hotel. Wow! The room price is reasonable for Seattle and we enjoyed our stay there. It's a good value especially in this area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel and on the 4th or 5th floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank twodognight
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thank you for your feedback and kind words about our team at Hotel FIVE!
We're really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed at Hotel Five for a trip mid-September. First off, the hotel is in a fantastic location - I took the link train from the airport and got off at the Westlake station Downtown. The hotel is about 5 blocks north, a very easy walk. Check-in was a breeze, and the front desk staff gave me quick and efficient directions to get to Safeco Field because I had Mariners tickets that evening. The room was nice, appreciated the coffee maker and selection of coffee, and the bottled water. This hotel is convenient for sightseeing. An easy walk to Pike Place Market, 2 blocks to the monorail station to get to Seattle Center and the Space Needle. I highly recommend this hotel, and keep an eye out for third night free promotions on their web site - it makes a good deal even better.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo