“Bad experience at a good hotel”

Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Winnipeg, Canada
“Bad experience at a good hotel”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Five in early December from Friday-Tuesday.

My first impression of the hotel was quite good. It was clean, the staff were all very friendly and the location was decent. Max's Cafe was an excellent choice for breakfast.
A few hours later, I noticed a group of 6-8 young guys checking into the hotel. We shared an elevator up to our rooms and they mentioned they were in town for a stag weekend. One of them said, "I feel sorry for anyone else that's on our floor".

Lucky for us, our room was right across the hall from one of theirs.

Each night, they started the party early in their rooms. Drinking heavily and being very loud. They would head out and come back between 1:00 and 2:00am. Each night when they returned, they continued to party in their rooms and in the hallways. They were screaming, had their shirts off banging on doors and were overall just obnoxious. This lasted about an hour and a half. I spoke with other guests and many of them complained to the front desk, but it didn't seem to make a difference. This went on each and every night. Needless to say, getting a good nights sleep wasn't possible.

One afternoon, while coming back to the hotel, I noticed one of the guys talking with the front desk staff. To me it seemed the staff were more interested in being buddies with this group than they were recognizing that these 8 guys were really putting a damper on the weekend for many of the other guests on the floor. To make matters worse, the front desk even provided them a fridge so they could stock up and keep their booze chilled for when they returned each night. This compounded the problem.

When I checked out on Tuesday, I asked the front desk what kind of feedback they received from other guests and she said they heard about the rowdy group. She told me that they were given "a talking to" when they checked out. It was difficult not to laugh when I heard that come our of her mouth. Unfortunately it was too little, too late. She did seem sincerely apologetic.

I don't blame these guys for partying at their buddies stag. I get it. What I can't accept is the way the staff just let these guys disrupt so many other guests stays. I can't imagine another hotel tolerating this. I realize Hotel Five is a boutique hotel and it caters to the younger/hip crowd, but this was brutal. I'd have second thoughts booking Hotel Five again.

I sent Pineapple hospitality an email over 3 weeks ago sharing my experience. I'm disappointed to say I never heard back. For a company that claims it excels at it's customer relations I am disappointed.

I'd suspect that normally this is a good place to stay, but for me, I'm sorry to say it was a bad experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Eegnops
LaceyKing, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Eegnops,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. This is not the impression we like to leave with our valued guests. We tried to contact you via the phone number you provided for your reservation but we may have the wrong number. I would love an opportunity to speak with you, please feel free to call me at your convenience. I can be reached at 206-770-7146. Thank you again for your review, and I look forward to speaking with you.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Booked this hotel through HotelTonight and was very pleased. Friendly front desk staff, nice room, best pillows I've ever had in a hotel, and located near a nice restaurant and jazz bar. Parking fee was reasonable.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
wrossbc,

Thank you for your kind comments in regards to our front desk staff! It is great that you were able to try us out using Hotel's Tonight and we are happy to know that we met your needs! We look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Seattle, be sure to check out our hotel's website for new and upcoming promotions!

Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Hotel Five was an awesome find. It was close o everything downtown and was easy to find.
The hotel itself was very funky looking. It was refreshing to see something other than the average traditional boring hotel. They had free Starbucks coffee and cupcakes in the lobby as well! Can't beat that! We loved our room and the shower was awesome! I didn't hear any noise at all, not from the neighbours or the streets. I would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Tiffsta.

Thank you for your comments! We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel FIVE when your travels bring you back to Seattle. Be sure to check our hotel's website for new and upcoming promotions!

Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Awesome hotel. Totally funky design, very modern. Room felt very new and was spotless. Huge glass shower. Location is great with easy walk to Space Needle attractions and right on the Monorail line. We'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed January 2013
DuckJock,

Thank you for your kind comments in regards to our Hotel. We do take great pride in the product that we have, and are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay! When your travel brings you back to Seattle we hope to see you again!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 February 2013

This was a funky, cute hotel and it was in a pretty decent location. It's located 5 blocks from the Space Needle and maybe 6 blocks in the other direction to Pike Place Market. It was clean, unique and the service was good. I only have a couple of minor complaints. One is that the rooms don't have mini fridges which is a major inconvenience especially after visiting the market and making food purchases. Second, the bed frames have wheels and do not stay in place so if you lean on it to tie your shoe or try to sit with your back to the "head board" - WATCH OUT because it'll slide out from under you. And third, the heater did not seem to work. Other than those, it was a good hotel and the price/location was right. I would probably stay here again if I couldn't find something similarly priced with a fridge.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
LaceyKing, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Rachel,

Thanks for sharing a review and the very nice pic. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have a few mini fridges available upon request. We are planning to upgrade our beds this year so that should help with the moving around.

Hope to welcome you back this summer!

Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Just spent two nights at the Hotel Five in a Space Needle view room. Comfy beds, heater works well (though the tiled bathroom floor remained freezing cold) and more than enough room. One major complaint is the lack of insulation. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything your neighbours are doing. Everything. And they can hear you.

• Stayed February 2013
Troyzilla,

I'm sorry you found the rooms to be a bit noisy. I am glad to see you enjoyed the Space Needle view from your room.
Hope to see you back soon!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This place was great! The decor, the cleanliness, the staff, etc! My favorite part, the bathroom has a fan! Hard to come by in a hotel. My only suggestion would be for the hotel to include a fridge in each room. If we come back, this is where we will stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meljaydlc
Thanks Meljaydlc,

So happy you loved Hotel Five! We do have a few refrigerators available upon request for you next stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you back