“Not Quite "Pineapple Hospitality" : Reality vs Non”

Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First off - expectations of the place were rather high based on the 4.5 rating of the Hotel 5. Photos looked great - with an Art Deco feel, etc.
We were looking forward to a nice, unique experience vs the chain hotels we frequent.

The reality of the hotel is that it is a "re-done Ramada", with a few cheap add-ons. A front desk person explained "it is over 40 years old" to me.

The front desk "help" are not too friendly - and offer very little in terms of input/advice or suggestion (they don't make much eye contact either - just staring at computer screens when you try to engage in conversation).

Fellows in bright yellow shirts are engaging - (I think they were concierge ? Bellhops? Don't exactly know...) and interactive - but don't provide much in regard to suggestion, or even attempt to assist you with luggage.

Highlight - the beach cruiser bikes you can utilize at no additional cost.

Lowlight - Max's (Cafe/restaurant) in the hotel. I've never received such terrible service or hospitality in any restaurant. Slow is one thing - curt and abrupt (with eye rolls from waitress staff for simple requests) is another.

Rooms are rather small but kept clean. One person bathroom sinks keep traffic tight. There are no refrigerators in the room - and only bags of ice offered on the 2nd floor (no ice machines ).

The hotel is well positioned in the heart of Seattle - however, ordering a car/transportation from the front desk was laughable: "you have to wait outside by the curb or the car will leave". (Why call the front desk for transportation then?)

The Pineapple idea is a cute one (cold infused pineapple water and the once daily pineapple mini muffins), although the delivery of hospitality came up short.

PS - get the Park Pass (if traveling to the Space Needle, etc). No mention was provided by the Hotel 5 staff - but "discovered" through our own travel.

A good hotel for something close to downtown (only book at a low rate) but not much else to highlight.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank 33Alphie33
Lucas L, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hello 33Alphie33,

We appreciate your review of Hotel FIVE and it is unfortunate your stay was not what you were expecting. We will look into the issues you have mentioned. We use reviews like yours to make our hotel the best it can be.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stay in Seattle every summer. We wanted to try something new...Great find!! Fun Great area Different ( in a good way) Super nice staff and helpful!!! Price was good for summer in Seattle. Felt very safe.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lucas L, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Topanga L,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

1st I want to start off by stating what hotel did was completly within there right and I knew the possibility. We had planned a Alaska Cruise and needed a place to stay the night before the cruise. We wanted to stay downtown so we could explore a few of the sights the day before our cruise. We used Priceline to find this hotel at a decent rate ( around $165 per night). We used the express deal - which meant we did not know what hotel we would be staying in until we paid. After we paid, this was the hotel chosen for us. Based on the pictues, website and Trip Advisor reviews, we were really excited about staying here. Then we had a death in the family and had to move the cruise back 3 weeks ( by the way the cruise line more the went out of their way to accommodate us). I know Pricelines policy is no refunds. I contacted the hotel to explain my situation and was hoping that since they would recieve payment for the room, perhaps that would allow me to just move my reservation to the same day of the week but just 3 weeks later. They had the rooms available, had recieved payment and could do a little goodwill. Instead, the person I contacted at the Hotel had no sympathy for me and my wife's situation and pretty much told us tuff luck. Kind of caught me off guard as from I read, customer service seemed to be one of there assets. Did they do anything wrong? You make your own decision. We ended up just canceling our cruise altogher, and not sure when we will get visit Seattle or Alaska. I know I could have bought Travel Insurance, and I usually do, but for 1 night I passed on the insurance ( my fault)

5  Thank Rick-Rozzi
MarcoBaumann, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Rick-Rozzi,

We are very sorry about the circumstances you described in your review. After investigating as fully as we can, we have no record or memory of this occurring at any of our properties.

We would not treat our guests, or anyone for that matter, with the dismissive attitude you described. However, we would like to ensure that your case with Priceline was resolved. If this occurred here or anywhere else, we would be delighted to be your advocate with our travel partner.

Please contact me at mbaumann@staypineapple.com at your convenience, so that I may start the process with you.

Marco Baumann

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed three nights at Hotel Five and each one was a treat. The staff was friendly, the rooms were nice, and the location is pretty great, although a little bit away from the main downtown attractions (about 10 minute walk to Pike's Market which wasn't bad for us). I can't say I have any complaints about my stay here. I'll probably stay again when I come back to Seattle one day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lucas L, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

SpookyFries,

Thank you so much for your review of Hotel FIVE. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

From the moment I stepped into this fantastically unique hotel and spotted the pineapple yellow beach cruiser bikes (which you can borrow for free as a guest btw!), I knew I was going to enjoy my super fast stay of just one night. I like unique, and this hotel is just that.

I was traveling for work with my boss. The front desk was very accommodating when I requested to be put at the opposite end of the hall as my boss. I spend enough time on work trips with them, I need my time away! The front desk also pointed out it was cupcake happy hour to which I quickly smiled...because you can't not smile holding a cupcake. Two delicious mini pineapple/coconut cupcakes that did not last long as you can tell by my pic. They also have fresh pineapple infused water available all day (yum!). Off I go up the elevator to enjoy my cupcakes and scout out my room.

I was on the 3rd floor facing the street. Very bright and modern room. I was delighted to have been informed that the bottles of water and Keurig coffee in the room were complimentary. No hidden charges to worry about at checkout! Since it was a quick one night business trip, I chose not to bring my own shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion figuring I could make do with whatever was in the room. I was so happy to find Tommy Bahama dispensers for all of that in the bathroom. The shower is roomy with good water pressure (the water pressure is always important to me as I have really thick long hair). The bed that night was very comfortable. Even though the room was facing the busy street, I barely heard any sound. I was up early and decided to hit the gym downstairs. It's small but clean and had what I needed to get in a workout: treadmill, elliptical, bike, bench & free weights. On my way out, I stopped at the front desk to ask for another bottle of water and was happy to be handed a nice cold one.

The hotel is located a short walking (or bike ride!) distance from Pike Place Market. There are plenty of places to eat, drink, shop & sight-see close by. I can't wait to go back to Hotel Five for a long weekend for fun.

(One of my best friends is planning on staying there over Labor Day Weekend after my recommendation. She loves the idea of exploring the city on the bikes with her 5 daughters...talk about a great photo opp!)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Lucas L, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hello mozerdoodle,

WOW! Thank you for such a great review of Hotel FIVE. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you can come back soon so you can take advantage of those yellow beach cruisers. We appreciate your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Loved staying at the motel. Great customer service and an easy walk to all the great Seattle attractions. We stayed on the 4th floor facing the monorail and never really noticed any noise from the monorail. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the complimentary cupcakes and coffee daily was great, and the cafe located in the hotel had great food! The fitness room is very nice too (although I would add a couple of mats to the fitness room) and had nice equipment!! Great experience!! We hope to be back soon!

Hello Amber R,

We appreciate your review of Hotel FIVE. It is always nice to hear when a guest is able to enjoy all of the amenities that we have to offer. Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I only have good things to say about this hotel:

Excellent customer service
Urban suite is enormous
Impressive bathroom
Free bikes
Free shuttle to certain destinations
Free ice, water and coffee
Decent gym
Central location
Free wifi

Hello EKGK,

Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time at Hotel FIVE and we hope you will return in the near future.