“WPZ: A Seattle Gem”

Ranked #23 of 448 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
Seattle, WA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“WPZ: A Seattle Gem”
Reviewed 3 January 2008

The Woodland Park Zoo is one of the best zoos that I have ever been to. I live in Seattle, so I go to the zoo about four or five times a year, and I never get bored. The zoo has excellent enrichment programs for its animals, so they are never bored as well. In addition, their exhibits are extremely detailed and more than adequately illustrate the animals' natural habitat. This should not be a surprise since the WPZ is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).

I especially admire the zoo's attention to education. I think people of all ages can learn something from the zoo. I really enjoy going into the "Trail of Vines" area when it is raining, it really makes me feel like I am in a rain forest. The central savannah exhibit is easily my favorite just for the fact that there are so many animals interacting in the same exhibit. In addition, feeding the giraffes last summer was easily one of the highlights of my life.

I really could continue raving about this zoo, but I wanted to make this brief. If you visit Seattle without visiting the zoo, you are definitely missing out.

2 Thank kazeko

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Marshfield, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Beautiful zoo with great viewing areas”
Reviewed 14 September 2007

The Woodland Park Zoo is a wonderful find. All of the animals are presented in large enclosures with good viewing areas. The animals appear to be extremely well taken care of and happy in their environments. Zoo staff are present at varying viewing areas to offer histories of their animals and answer questions. I found this to be a nice feature.

The only animal we didn't get to see was the elephants. We looked around at the many viewing areas but never caught a glimpse. I don't believe they were in their enclosure and assume there was a good reason for this. It was a minor blip in the day.

We intended to spend just a few hours here but ended up spending about six hours in all viewing the animals. The zoo covers a lot of area so be prepared to walk. The food court only offers typical fast food fare or smoothies. Prices were reasonable.

This zoo's distinguishing animal is the gorilla. They are amazing to see and we spent some time watching them, asking questions, and reading up on their history which is posted next to their exhibit.

If you like zoos, this is a definite must see. I highly recommend it for all ages.

4 Thank Leslie D
Boston, Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Great zoo”
Reviewed 7 September 2007

This is a very nice zoo to go to. Make sure you allow 3-4 hours to see it. We had to skip a few small things since we had to be somewhere right after. This is definitely worth seeing if you are in the area.

2 Thank Jessi9260
Irvine, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Plenty of viewing areas... Better than expected...”
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Plenty of parking since there are three entrances to the zoo.

What I liked was that we never really had to compete with anyone to watch the animals.

There are several vantage points at the various exhibits to see the animals.

The zoo takes about 2 hours to see everything and almost every animal you could think of was here.

My favorites were the gorilla, orangutan, and bald eagle exhibit.

4 Thank sctrojan1
Fresno, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Definitely worth visiting”
Reviewed 4 April 2007

I have been to many zoos around the world and I must say that this is one of the better ones. The animals are not enclosed in cages like a lot of zoos, they are placed in a more natural habitat that mimicks the wild. They also have a very unique indoor night animal exhibit which is very cool. Athough they may not have as many animals as the San Diego Zoo, I prefer this one because of the way it is set up.

5 Thank zrc