“Not what we Expected”

Ranked #44 of 468 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went to this zoo early Saturday Morning. Drove around for 10minutes looking for parking. Then workers placed signs out at the lots, saying there was no parking. We had to park half a mile away in a residential area and walk. Imagine our surprise when we paid an entrance fee of almost $80 for a family of 5!! Smh!

Zoo was very small, some exhibits were not even opened and to make matters worse they seem to have stuffed reptiles on display. Suspicions confirmed when I overheard a worker saying it was true.

Waited an hour for 2 hotdogs and fries...

Bathrooms were muddy and disgusting

Gift shop...extremely overpriced.

1  Thank afrocaribbean_kaycee
Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)
All reviews
"penguin exhibit"
"natural habitat"
"animal enclosures"
in 23 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 21 reviews
in 25 reviews
"dragon"
"rainforest"

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We love Woodland Park Zoo. We've been visiting it since before our sons were born, but hadn't been in a few years until today. The boys are older now (12 and 14) so this was a very different experience, but we all agreed that it was the best day out we'd had in a long time.

The first thing I noticed was that they have finally put pay and display machines in the parking lot, which was so much easier than getting to the zoo ticket booth and realizing that you'd forgotten to check the parking spot number to pay for your space. It cost $5.25 to park.

I am not really a fan of animals in captivity but I do think that Woodland Park Zoo does a pretty good job. The animals look well cared for and for the most part seem to have plenty of room to roam. We love the African Savanah with it's mock African village, and the Northern area with the bears, wolves and elk... oh and the elephant forest.... and the komodo dragons... and the, and the, and the lol!

There are plenty of opportunities to buy souveniers, snacks, ice cream and/or lunch but be prepared to spend some money. Three 1/3 cheesburgers, a family garlic fries and three drinks cost just under $50.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We visited Seattle to attend a Labor Day wedding long weekend and purchased a City Pass that included a visit to the Woodland Park Zoo to fill in the parts of our weekend that weren't already planned out.

As zoo lovers, some of the highlights for us included the elephant enclosure (we were there when they were being hosed down and they looked like they were having a blast) and the owl exhibit (they kept glaring at me when I started laughing and my husband was only too happy to keep snapping pictures).

We also stopped for lunch at their quick service restaurant and this is where I ate my first fried cheese curd. Now anyone who knows me knows I love cheese curds. Try them and you will, too!

Enjoy the zoo and tell the snowy owls Diana says hi!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I grew up on the Washington Peninsula enjoying this zoo.Never realized how special a zoo it was until moving to an area without a zoo at all.The zoo is beautifully layed out.Nice landscaping and the animals have large enclosures.Its in Seattle which is a plus as there is so many other things to do as well.We always enjoy a day here.