“great day at the zoo!”

Ranked #24 of 460 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent an entire day at the zoo. It was a very hot day, and we were happy that a lot of the paths were shaded. We packed a picnic, and there were lots of picnic tables & benches to choose from. The animals and their exhibits all looked well taken care of. There were lots of staff around to answer questions. This is hands down our favorite zoo!

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Diversity of exhibits, care for animals, interactive activities and ability to cover it all in a day pushed Seattle past San Diego in my book!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I visited the zoo while we were in Seattle and enjoyed the exhibits and how well detailed the animal enclosures were. I am not sure why some people posted that this zoo is poor in quality or bad overall. We both thought that the areas given to the animals was more than adequate and even the elephants had a extremely large area with a pool to move around in. We spent almost the entire day looking around and enjoying the animals. She loves the penguins and compared to our zoo, this area was very well laid out and spacious. The zoo itself was a great experience and we would have no issues with coming back here again and again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our visit to thus lace. Enjoyed how it is laud out as everything was very accessible. All the staff were very knowledgable about the park and all questions were answered well.we would definitely go back when we return to Seattle .

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wife tells me that I turn into a kid when we come to the Woodland Park Zoo! I've been to zoos in the US, Canada, London and the Caribbean, but this one has the best layout. First of all, it is organized by region, which makes animals more logical to find (not all zoos are like this). It also has plant cover over most of the paths, to prevent you from overheating (which was my issue at the Calgary Zoo). It is also very family-friendly. On rainy days, they often have a 50% off deal.

Have breakfast in the Food Pavilion near the entrances. But have lunch at the Pacific Blue Chowder House, next to the Tropical Asia region. It has some tasty options, especially the Salmon BLT burger.

It was fun to feed an elephant ($5, lineup 15 minutes beforehand), a bird ($1 per stick, no line), and a giraffe ($5, lineup 15 minutes beforehand). Feeding the giraffe was the best! I also got to pet a cockroach. You could easily spend your whole day at this zoo. Bring cash to feed the animals, as they don't take cheques or plastic!

Tip: Take a digital photo of the schedule of the day's events, just after you enter (it is slightly more current than the one in the zoo's app). This will help you plan your route through the park.