“Turrell's Skyspace is Incredible”
Review of Henry Art Gallery

Henry Art Gallery
Ranked #183 of 457 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: The Henry Art Gallery at the University of Washington engages audiences in the powerful experience of artistic invention and serves as a catalyst for the creation of new work that inspires and challenges.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I visited the gallery one Saturday in late June during a recent trip to Seattle. I came solely to visit the Skyspace by James Turrell, which is really remarkable. I was able to spend nearly two hours in the room, with only two or three other visitors, and it was incredibly special. I've been fortunate enough to see some of Turell's early installations on show in the UK and Portugal, but I had never actually visited one of his Skyspaces, so it was a real privilege to do so. Towards the end of my visit it began to rain, so I got to witness the closing of the roof and the wonderful purple light installation. I cannot wait to visit another of his Skyspaces in the UK. The cafe in the gallery was really nice too.

1  Thank D A

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Skinny:

Parking- $10 in underground lot
Fee- $10 pp
Time 1-2 hrs
Restrooms- yes, clean and modern
Lockers- free and mandatory

This gallery is small and has exhibits of students MFA work for the U of W program. I am not really into Modern Art because most of the time it is strange to me. I liked Jason Petz's work on Food Visualization but the real reason I came here was to experience James Turrell's sky space. I love all of his work whether they are sky spaces or exhibits. The best time to see a sky space is at dusk to night. Even though this gallery is open til 9p on Thursdays, it doesn't get dark til 945p so we just sat and enjoyed the clouds passing by. It's so ZEN.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We visited when the MFA graduating students were showing their work. I believe their work is equal to and sometimes superior to other work that was on exhibition in the gallery at the time. The Gallery's permanent work is outstanding.
We're glad our son recommended this gallery as well as the Seattle Art Museum, which we didn't visit because it was closed on the days we were able to visit.
I would recommend this gallery to anyone interested in contemporary art.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

There were at least four special exhibitions, of which two of photographs were the most engaging. An exhibition titled "The Ghosts of Architecture" also appealed to me, but the works by Paul Laffoley weird just too weird.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Always make a point of visiting the Henry when I'm in Seattle, and I'm never disappointed. My timing hasn't been good the last couple of visits because the downstairs galleries were closed. Nonetheless, I saw an excellent photography exhibition and an intriguing display of abstract prints and paintings based on the surfaces of outbuildings in the Harris and Lewis, islands in the Hebrides (which I traveled to in my twenties). If you enjoy visual art, don't miss the Henry!