“Everyone is right, busted down exhibits.”

Pacific Science Center
Ranked #26 of 454 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Pacific Science Center ignites curiosity in every child and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us. Get hands-on in our Tinker Tank maker space, wander among fluttering tropical butterflies, immerse yourself in a giant-screen IMAX film, explore distant galaxies and meet local scientists and researchers. Don't miss a show in our popular Laser Dome that features a brand new laser system filling the dome with vibrant light and color! Every visit to Pacific Science Center is unique, engaging and fun for adults and children alike. In addition to our daily live science demonstrations, IMAX films, planetarium and laser shows, we feature traveling exhibits that vary throughout the year. Coming up we'll feature Terracotta Warriors of the First Emperor (April 8-September 4, 2017). Discover this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to investigate the scientific underpinnings of one of the greatest archaeological discoveries of our time: the terracotta warriors. Delve into the science and technology of priceless artifacts, behold real figures from the terracotta army and unearth the mystery hidden in the tomb of the First Emperor.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Ok experience, butterfly house is nice.

I'm not surprised about the condition of the exhibits in the "City that hates children".

As a side note on the city from another review I did:

"Gotta love Washington State, marijuana is legal, but don't you dare take your minor to eat at an establishment were they sell alcohol. By the way, nothing to do specifically with the museum, Seattle is one of the most kid unfriendly cities (actually had several instances of hostility towards children) we have ever been to in the United States. We've been there three times with children and the same bad experience every time. You can bring dogs every where, but please leave your children at home. Too bad, city is located in a really pretty section of our country. Not the best city to go to if you have a family."

There are newer reviews for Pacific Science Center

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I had only been here previously for the Titanic and the King Tut special exhibitions. This time we went to see the other exhibits as we had complimentary tickets.

Pro: the butterflies are amazing... one even hitched a ride on my buddies hat!

Con: the exhibits are dated by comparison to other museum type things I have been to, hiwever if it sparks a young mind into science, all the better

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The kids had the day off from school so we decided to make a day of it at the Pacific Science Center. The added excitement was that the Spy Exhibit was showing, too.
Here, I have to note that my "kids" age from 16 to 22. This will make a BIG difference to anyone that is planning a trip. My kids and I LOVED the Spy Exhibit. And, since the younger ones had never been in the museum, they had a great time exploring.
One thing that anyone MUST know before going ~ if you are planning on viewing a special EXHIBIT ~ CALL FIRST, you have to have reservations!!! The ONLY reason I knew this is because I was online searching for Center Hours. The prices were also listed there and, to save money we actually ended up purchasing a family membership.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A great place to visit. Specialy with children. A funny way to get close to science for all the family. If visiting Seattle, a must place!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We decided to visit this museum as my daughter was DYING to see the spy exhibit. First, as far as the spy exhibit goes, WE (the adults) loved it, but I think it wasn't hands on enough for kids. Given that the museum is definitely geared to younger kids, I would've expected there to be some sort of fingerprinting or something to help engage the kids. The few things they did have were mobbed as there just weren't many things for kids to grab on to.

Now for the museum in general. To start, it's SUPER pricey. I was really shocked at the price (especially if you combine it with parking).

Now for the museum. The lay out is very funky. Clearly, it's an older museum trying to adapt to limited space, but we found it tough to navigate.

We did NOT do the planetarium nor the iMax, so those may take this place up a star or two, but, given what we did, we felt it was very lacking. They have all the typical exhibits you find at these sorts of places. The butterfly exhibit looks to be the EXACT one as in the NC Museum of Science (except that museum is free) .... they have a little tide pool, but it's small and most of the cool stuff is down in the "resting area" where the kids can't tough, there was a toddler area that looked cool, but our 10 year old was definitely to old for it.

The Dinosaurs were very cool ..... probably my personal favorite.

I suspect, if I brought younger kids and had not been at other museums of this ilk, I would've liked it more. But for this price point, I really did expect more.

Worth a visit, after you've done other things, but probably not worth a re-visit.

1  Thank meliachia