“Mercer Island Oh! Chocolate-As Good As Ever”
Review of Oh! Chocolate

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Oh! Chocolate
Ranked #53 of 183 Shopping in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Oh! Chocolate is a lovely family-owned chocolate shop in the Madison Park neighborhood of Seattle. Visitors will enjoy tasting their handcrafted truffles & caramels, French-style drinking chocolate or taking home a bottle of wine to pair with their chocolates. Chocolate Classes are available and a current schedule can be found on their website. Tickets are available at Brown Paper Tickets.
Grecia, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mercer Island Oh! Chocolate-As Good As Ever”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

After having moved away from the Seattle area about 17 yrs ago, while recently visiting in August and crossing over the I-90 bridge from Seattle heading east, I decided to get off the freeway on Mercer Isl and search out my absolute favorite chocolate shop of all times, wondering if it could really still be there. Much to my surprise, it was in the very same exact location ! At first I experienced sticker shock (obviously, prices have increased since 17yrs ago), but after my free sample I rapidly got over it, and purchased a gift box for an upcoming visit and a few dark truffles for myself. They were as outstanding as ever ! Customer service was great as well; the woman there was apparently related to the original owner. So nice to see such a great family business continuing on. Now, if they would just open another store where I currently live.

Visited August 2013

washington state
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Look Inside the Box!!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I had purchased chocolates at the Bellevue store before. My favorite being the dark chocolate fleur de sel carmels. When I saw a Groupon offer for the fleur de sels I jumped on it. My boyfriend and I stopped at the Madison store on our way to Lake Quinalt Lodge. When we entered the store the woman told me that their current special was a mix of dark and milk chocolate. The Groupon offer did not state this and I explained to her that neither of us eat milk chocolate so she agreed to put a box of them together for us. While she was doing that we looked around. She pointed out one to us and asked if we'd tried it and we said no. She said "I'll throw a few of these in for you". We thanked her, thinking that was very nice of her to give us a few samples. We ended up ordering a selection of other chocolates as well. When we got to the lodge at Lake Quinalt that afternoon and settled in, I opened the box of chocolates. To my dismay, I found that not only had she put the chocolates we thought she was throwing in as samples (she said "samples" not "substitutes" or I would have said no) as part of our box but she also threw in other chocolates - ones she never even asked us if we liked! We only ended up with four of the Fleur de Sel Caramel Chocolates when the entire box was supposed to be made up of those specific chocolates. We were both quite unhappy about this as we ended up with only 1/4 of the type of chocolates we were supposed to get.

When I returned, I wrote to the company. The CEO, Aaron Ross, promptly wrote back asking how he could rectify the situation but also telling me that I was partly to blame because I asked for a change. He also stated I should have known the chocolates weren't free samples since you can only fit so many in a box. I wrote him back telling him that what I want is what I feel is fair - the other 12 dark chocolate fleur de sel caramels that I should have gotten in the first place. I also sent him the Groupon deal so that he could see that I did not ask for a change to the deal and explained that since we had bought additional chocolates I thought the samples were in one of those bags. He wrote me on 16 April 2013 and I wrote him back a few days later. I have not heard back from him since. I sent a second email on 24 April to be sure he received it and still nothing.

I will not set foot again in an Oh Chocolate store. Their management style of non response and customer blame instead of customer service is horrid. My recommendation is to watch their employees carefully if you bring in a Groupon certificate so that you actually receive what you expect and what you paid for.

The treatment we received from this company has left a very bad taste in my mouth. My business will go to other chocolatiers as there are many fine ones to choose from.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank morejourneystocome
Edmonds, Washington
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“A chocolate-dipping extravaganza!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My husband and I went hear using a Living Social deal to learn about and dip chocolate. We had an excellent evening all the way around. We learned a lot about chocolate, how and where it is produced, and got to sample it in many forms (the drinking chocolate was the best). And then we dipped everything good into chocolate. This is a hands on event, and a messy one, and I enjoyed every finger-licking moment. Best of all, we brought home two boxes full of our creations; everything from strawberries and blueberries to pretzels and Oreo's. They sell their dipping chocolate in large bars (like two foot long by 1 foot wide bars), to take home and dip on your own. I am going to be buying one of these bars for an upcoming girls weekend at my house. What a better evening than dipping chocolate and drinking wine with friends!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank tlawish
kirkland
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Dark chocolate salted carmels”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

These have the perfect combination of good dark chocolate, just the right Carmel and a sprinkle of sea salt on top. OH! chocolate....yumm!b

Visited April 2012
Mercer Island, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Mercer Island and Bellevue Square locations are awesome”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have never been to the Madison Park location so can't comment on the service, ect at that location. My experience is with Mercer Island and Bellevue Square locations has been excellent. The chocolate is sooo good. It has ruined me for other chocolate. It is fairly expensive so you have to be careful not to go overboard!! But, on the other hand what is better than a few truly amazing chocolates. The employees have always been friendly, and I love patronizing a small local business. My husband loves the coconut haystacks and my favorite is definitely the salted caramels. Also, don't forget the free sample everytime you go in :)

Visited January 2012

Been to Oh! Chocolate? Share your experiences!