Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hostel wasn't bad, but it was nothing to rave about. The hostel itself was very clean, and the bathrooms were nice. The kitchen was large and breakfast is exactly what you would expect from a hostel. The location isn't the best, it takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to main attractions such as Pike Market. It is located in China Town, so there is plenty of food available close by. It is close to the Amtrak station and the buses depart just down the road. The wifi was the biggest issue, it was tough to get anything done as it was virtually non-existant. Personally, I wouldn't stay there again simply on its proximity to main attractions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your kind observations. I must point out we are located one half block from the metro bus tunnels so, getting anywhere downtown including main attractions is simple and quick. Many guest prefer to walk as they take in the beautiful northwest scenery. Cheers and travel safe.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had a terrific stay for the 8th time over there at the American Hotel in Seattle. In fact, I made it just in time to help celebrate the New Year of 2014, and I even went to two different places: The Museum of History and Industry and the Seattle Art Museum, thanks to First Thursday. I really enjoyed it, and I'll be planning to return to Seattle on a Thursday before Labor Day, just in time for another Bumbershoot for 2014! Okay? Like I said, I'll come back over there real soon, and thank you very much for your generous support.

Room Tip: Anyway, there were no Swimming Pools nor Fitness Centers over there at the American Hotel in Seattle...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Travel safe.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

It was my first time in Seattle and the HI Seattle was the perfect place to stay! It can be easily reached with public transport (Airport line is just 5 minutes down the road from the hostel) and is located in Chinatown so you have a number of great restaurants and a fantastic Japanese book store just minutes away. Staff is very welcoming, super friendly, and very helpful and knowledgeable and happy to share tipps of what to do and what to see in Seattle. I had a private room (bunk bed, sink, shower, small table) that was spotlessly clean and quiet. The kitchen was clean and tidy with a bright and big dining area. Make sure to check out the lounge area (I think it is on the second floor?): Its a great spot to meet fellow travellers.
Unfortunately, I only stayed one night and had to check out early so I did not get to try the breakfast they are offering. Like: Free towels, alarm clock (my cellphone broke down so I had to borrow an alarm clock which fortunately was not a problem), small fans for each bed (I really loved those and wish every hostel had one of those!), free admission to some museums on certain days. Its the perfect place to stay in Seattle and I definitely will stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was on the third level and it was very very quiet. You could not hear any noises or sounds f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ju M
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thanks so much for your kind comments. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My son and I have stayed in the double rooms (bunkbed + sink & small table) once a year for the past 4 years. Always welcoming, helpful desk, clean quiet rooms, lots of hot water, great free breakfast (fruits, toast & bagels, coffee, juice), little fans for each bed in the summer, warm enough in winter, many windowed dining hall with lots of conversation with folks from around the world, do-it-yourself laundry, day storage for gear, and my son's favorite - a 5 minute walk from Safeco Field, and his addiction: The Mariners! I've also stayed there when traveling by myself, and appreciated that it's just a half block from the Link International Station, an easy zip from the airport,

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thanks so much for your kind comments. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon. Travel safe.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here back in September 2013.

We booked in (couple) and stayed in two separate rooms - that was fine. Rooms were small with 4 bunkbeds. My room was fine but my girlfriend's room was like a sauna. Rooms were clean, sheets were clean. No problems there. Towels available from front desk. Plenty of showers and toilets on each floor.

The hostel's location is the main problem. Its too far from city centre! People have posted issues with the local area - but apart from a few people hanging around on street corners we had no issues. We even went into the rough looking bar on the corner and had a drink.
There is a good supermarket one block away with a huge selection of food.
The hostel has a laundry, but we didn't make much use of it. The tv lounge could be bigger.
The surrounding 'international' district is disappointing.

Free breakfast was great. Set us up until lunch while exploring the city. More fruit would be a good idea.

I think the biggest issue I had while there was that guests just did not talk to each other. Get off your wi-fi enabled tablets and phones and talk to the people around you!!! you might learn about some cool places to visit, or hook up with some people to go our socialising. They only time some people said anything to me was when their wi-fi wasn't working, and they were complaining!!

I also didn't like the fact alcohol wasn't allowed in the hostel - i'm used of having a beer or wine with my dinner.

I wonder do some people book in here expecting it to be a hotel?
Be happy it is clean, secure and has a well equipped kitchen.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks very much for your detailed review. Although we are not exactly in the center of the city, we are only a short bus ride or leisurly walk to city center. We do observe many travelers using lap tops, ipads or phones to stay in touch with family or the internet. So, your suggestions may be timely. Stay safe as you travel and come back soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I used this hostel because was going to Portland the next day. A night at this hostel they are clean, from what I heard good breakfast and staff is super helpful. The big part to me is a good bathroom, for the ladies bathroom the shower curtains was not enough to cover everything. There should also be hooker inside the shower curtains so you can get changed in private. Its a average hostel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SophyC09

Thanks for the suggestions. Our shower curtains are big enought to stay private. We also have private bathrooms if you don't like commercial showers. We appreciate the input and hope your travles are safe.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had a very enjoyable stay here, nice people clean, good facilities...Even had a TV room with flat screen to watch weekend football games.

Breakfast was fine, lots of choices, plus refrigerator and storage areas.

I've been in Int'l District numerous times, never felt unsafe, just use good judgment, esp. very late.

Lots to good, very reasonable food choices nearby and easy access to light rail and buses, plus nice walk to downtown, Pikes Place, stadiums, etc.

Room Tip: I prefer a high floor, but I got 2nd floor. Bring a lock.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. Travel safe and come back soon!