“What a wonderful weekend in a great hotel! Best we've had!”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 19 November 2013

For our 13th wedding anniv., I booked a room through an auto club for Nov. 15 Friday night Michael Buble concert and Saturday "just for the fun of it." The hotel is close to Key Arena (so we could walk to the concert) and the interior photos looked interesting and fun, so off we went.

WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME! The room was large and new looking, with 2 queen beds, +40 inch TV with DVD player, small fridge, complimentary bottled water and Keurig machine with K-cup coffee. The free Wi-fi was great...very responsive. Geez, everything you'd expect in a top of the line hotel...for under $100 p/night (with advance reservations).

Housekeeping: excellent job and always busy. The room, hallways...everything was clean. And I handle facilities maintenance for my company in Federal Way, so I scrutinize these things a bit more.

Floors: laminate with a large clean rug under the beds. The bathroom was very open and clean with a walk-in shower large enough for a wheelchair (thought the tile threshold makes that impractical.) Shower was ok, though hard to control the hot (which was odd since the faucet at the sink was ok.) Speaking of the sink, that appeared to be black granite...was large...and like the shower, had Tommy Bahama-branded wall mount dispensers for all things "soapy".

AC: thermostat on wall. When we arrived, the room temp was 71. Never got below 69 in two days with heat "on" and my setting the thermostat to 65. Temp stayed very consistent...not too hot nor too cold. AC unit below window was actually quite quiet, even with the fan on "full-time" (I like the fan running.)

Two things I was worried about (from staying downtown before):
- noise...both inside and out. No worries...no noise! We were in Room 223 and facing north, which meant we looked down upon the enclosed swimming pool and the "overflow" parking.
- crappy mattress (saggy or hard): the mattress we had was firm, but not too firm that it caused a problem. We sleep on a memory-foam at home and we still got full, peaceful, restful sleeps.

Parking: there was plenty. Saved me $30 over two days. It was first come-first served but arriving at 3:30 pm Friday, there were no worries. It was very secure and, surprisingly, had a good mix of compact and regular (yes...really regular) car sized parking! Our Subaru was safe and secure.

Food: There is an "in-house" espresso stand/breakfast sandwich "shop" where you "grab and go." This is good for getting a mocha or drink before leaving for the day. But if you are looking for lunch and more, then another nice feature is "The Rock" restaurant "attached" next door. They have a deal that "Rock" patrons can use the restrooms on the main floor and the "Rock" gives hotel guests 15% off their meal! Can't beat that! And there's no real worry about security, because the elevators won't go up unless someone inputs a valid guest keycard. Yes, someone could "piggyback" up, but I don't think its too big a worry.

The lobby is always manned...24 hours a day. The personnel were always pleasant and easily approachable. At 3 pm they put out small cupcakes and coffee for guests to come down and mingle. This works well with the varied lobby seating they have all around, with tables and "great chairs". It all works so very well...we were very pleased.

Some things we saw but didn't use:
- shuttle bus to take you to various venues (location was so close that we walked down to the waterfront and Myrtle Edwards Park...as well as other places!)
- exercise room and swimming pool (exercise room had stair-stepper, bike, weights, treadmill, etc...all in good order.)
- two large conference rooms as well as a desktop PC for guests to use to check email
- either rental or loaner bicycles (we're walkers, so that's what we enjoyed doing.)

The other recent reviewers captured it so well: this is a gem of a hotel and worth the stay! I'm glad others have already commented so positively on this hotel...you may not have believe me! I'm not sure I would have either.

Room Tip: The two queens still allowed enough "space" to bring in some camp chairs and a card table...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Woody B, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us for your anniversary. Buble must have been fun. We are happy to have taken such great care of you!
All my best, Woody Braden

Write a ReviewReviews (2,817)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I love this hotel! Great rate, super service, fantastic staff, and convenient for business travelers.... I will use this hotel next visit to Seattle for sure. I also felt comfortable powerwalking the neighborhood alone early in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your amazing review and for staying with us. We hope that you come back and do some more powerwalking!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I booked 2 rooms at this hotel for the night of a concert at the Key Arena. For the great 21 day ahead rate we received I was crossing my fingers it was a decent hotel because I have paid more in other places for a rundown, dated room. When we arrived the lobby was very nice and we were pleasantly surprised to learn the parking garage is included for free! When we got to the rooms we were blown away. They were nicely decorated with a modern look and all kinds of amenities. Keurig machine with both coffee and tea (I'm a tea drinker and rarely get tea provided when coffee maker in rooms), big High Def TV with high def channels and a DVD player (we NEVER find a dvd player where we can watch what we want in a hotel), microwave, fridge, bottled water, safe, iron board and iron. We only stayed overnight so didn't get try out the other amenities (small pool, free bike rentals, free shuttle to major sight seeing spots in seattle). But, we walked to a great Queen Anne restaurant, then walked to the concert, then walked home. So convenient to everything. Then we walked to a great little crepe place for breakfast. We really enjoyed this hotel and would highly recommend it. I'm thinking of going back for a fun Seattle weekend of shopping/sightseeing. The only negative was the walls/floors were a little thin so we could hear a little from other rooms but not enough to bother us at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TacomaDawn

Thank you for coming to see us and we are glad that you were pleasantly surprised. We are definitely here to impress. Come back soon!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We spent the weekend here in early November and had a great time. The staff were very professional and friendly. They all gave really knowledgeable advice for all questions we had. The rooms are very nicely decorated and make you feel like your staying at home, not in a hotel room. The bed was comfy, but those sheets are annoying!! They are so loud and noisy!!! The hotel does have a shuttle taking guests to the Pike Place Markets. We never actually used the shuttle as we found it more convenient to take the monorail from the space needle. Which is a short 5-10 min walk away. I loved how the area felt residential and not too touristy. It also had plenty of restaurants. We ate an amazing meal at the Bahn Thai and have been craving it ever since! We also ate at the hotel restaurant The Rock, which was fine but a bit overrated.

The hotel have a little café stand where you can buy coffee, light lunches and breakfast. For breakfast it was mainly bacon/sausage and egg muffins/bagels. Which was fine for us, there can be a little bit of a wait at times. We did try the pineapple mini cupcakes, which are cute but not the best.

We would definitely come back to this hotel when we are next in Seattle and definitely recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sl1910

Thank you for the great review and we appreciate you staying with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed the comfortable bed and I'm sorry that the sheets weren't to your liking. It looks like you truly enjoyed your time here and we are happy to be a part of it.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Friends live in the neighborhood and had suggested other places that they had stayed in during their pre-move visits to Seattle. I am glad I didn't take their suggestions and instead found and booked the Maxwell Hotel. The hotel wasn't too far from their apartment, fairly quiet (hallway noise and the occasional car lock beep from below), secure, and accommodating of our Pack n Play request. We stayed in a cheaper duet Queen Anne view. The beds were super comfy. One thing that through us off was the shower stall sans door, but water didn't really get out. Our room had no tub so our toddler was unable to bathe during our stay, unfortunately. Overall, I would recommend for the neighborhood, especially for people with older kids or no children, if you get a room with shower only. I'm sure other rooms have tub/shower combos.

My friends whom we visited said based on our experience they would also recommend the Maxwell to future visitors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

We always enjoy putting up our neighbor's friends and family here in the heart of the Seattle Center/ Queen Anne area. Thank you for finding us among the other hotel choices and I'm glad that we exceeded your expectations. I'm sorry that we didn't have a bathtub in the room for your toddler. Thank you for recommending us to others and we hope to see you again soon.
Warm regards, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed in the Maxwell Hotel on two occasions in September 2013. For one night, prior to an Alaska cruise, and again for three nights after the cruise. It was a great value hotel, with spacious rooms, free wifi and very helpful staff. Well situated for getting around the sights - with access to public transport (but easy to get a cab if needed). Walking distance from the Space Needle and 'Experience Music Project' (which will be the subject of another review!). The free daily pineapple cupcakes and coffees were just the icing on the cake! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maggiwithoutane

I'm jealous of your cruise as it sounds like such a great time! Thank you for the review and we are here for you if you decide to cruise again.
Best, Woody Braden

Reviewed 10 November 2013

A nice modern hotel. Room was quirky and clean. Cupcakes and coffee in the foyer was a really nice touch. My only gripe was that the staff, while friendly, tended to be reactive rather than proactive in providing useful information (we had to ask about basics such as local transport, shops, etc.). Shuttle was handy but quite often booked out especially first thing in the morning.

Really loved the location. Such a nice area just outside of town. Full of cafes, pubs and restaurants. Excellent 24 hour supermarket/providores and pharmacy just up the hill. A lot more happening than downtown after hours.

Would definitely stay there again if ever we return to Seattle.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for the review and the feedback. It definitely helps us improve our service levels at the desk and make the whole process smoother. I apologize for the lack of information. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay otherwise.
Warm regards, Woody Braden