“Urban Comfort”

Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Bellingham, WA
“Urban Comfort”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We visited Seattle for a "weekend away in the big city". A coworker had suggested the Maxwell, and so I tried it. I was VERY satisfied with the recommendation. It was everything a major city hotel could be. It is located just across the street from the Seattle Center, within walking distance of many interesting sights. Our room had a view of the Space Needle disappearing up into the low clouds over Seattle. Getting to the hotel by car was easy. Parking was ample. The desk staff were friendly and welcoming. Complimentary coffee and mini-cupcakes were available in the lobby. The rooms were nicely designed (we LOVED the shower), clean and spacious. Room, hallway, elevator, lobby style was elegant but not overbearing. The housekeeping staff were polite and efficient. The beds and pillows were comfortable, WIFI was free and fast. The hotel had a restaurant on the main floor (The Rock) that had excellent food and great service. We were pampered.

So, what's not to like? My only issues were that the street noise was a bit loud even up on the 4th floor (late night revelers and motorcycles on the street), something that a set of comfortable earplugs fixed. The hotel really has no great views. The view we had of the Space Needle also included the parking garage for the Seattle Center. Breakfasts are not included. There is however a small espresso are in the lobby that sells coffee and pastries in the morning.

Still, it is a reasonably priced hotel that I would certainly stay at again on my next trip into Seattle.

As a tip: If you will be attending a show at Teatro Zinzani just across the street, look on the Zinzani website for a 15% off Hotel Maxwell discount code. This is something I saw only after I'd booked and paid.

Room Tip: 4th floor room has less noise. Rooms not facing Roy Street are quieter, but don't have a city vi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Great review! Thank you for taking the time to provide as much detail as possible. We truly appreciate it as do fellow travelers I'm sure. We would love to have you back and please call us directly and we will look at getting you the best possible rate.
Warm regards, Woody Braden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The hotel itself is wonderful (on-site parking, large rooms, clean, appealing decor), but the employees are the shining star. They seem genuinely happy to help, and most importantly, they are polite/respectful/professional without being pretentious or condescending. Truly the best hotel stay we've had in years!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and the shining staff.
Please come back and see us again soon.
All my best,
Woody Braden
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to visit Seattle and attend the Gonzaga basketball game. We selected the Maxwell based on reviews on Tripadvisor. We asked the woman (unfriendly) at the front desk if it was possible to have a very quiet top floor room. She snapped back that she has not made a selection yet. In the room (506), we experienced extremely load noises next door, in the morning and in the afternoon. We realized the first evening that our room was adjacent to the housekeeping room! The banging was probably the carts moving in and out. and the banging of a laundry chute door. The front desk clerk could not have given us a worse room. Why would she deliberately do that? We were friendly and nice to her. We were too tired to consider complaining the first time this happened. We should have because the next day we were woken by load noises, singing, and talking in the problem room and hallway. It was incredible; our bedside lamp would shake on the nightstand as they repeatedly smashed the chute door closed. We went to the front desk to complain, but the same clerk was there. We decided to tolerate it and wear earplugs. Otherwise, it was a very good stay. I may try this hotel next time we are in Seattle. I would be more careful inspecting the room. I would probably revise my rating to five stars given a satisfactory experience with the front desk.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you settle in.
2 Thank TimandCami
Hello TimandCami,
I so sorry to hear that you weren't treated with the proper respect and care. We certainly would never deliberately put you in a room that is noisy. I will definitely speak to the housekeeping team about the noise levels up on the floors. The fifth floor is the highest floor so the agent was just trying to honor your request for a high floor room. I have spoken with her and she definitely did not try to be rude at all. I'm sorry that this impression was given and we certainly want every guest to enjoy their stay with us! We would love to have you back and please call the hotel and ask for Woody and I will take great care of you.
All my best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at The Maxwell Hotel. The staff were all friendly, the rooms were huge with super comfy beds and the free shuttle was so useful. The location is also a major pro - we were able to walk most places (and when we couldnt we just jumped on the shuttle). The little extras like the coffee machines and popcorn in the rooms, and the afternoon coffee and cake in the lobby made our stay a great one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and I'm glad that the friendly staff took such great care of you. The extras are designed to make your life easy while you are with us and I'm glad that you took advantage of them. We hope to see you again soon.
Warm regards, Woody Braden
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I guess they were going for a circus décor? Or the 50's? Whatever, it was fun. The public areas are welcoming, the attached restaurant "The Rock" is a pizza/sports bar with decent food (besides pizza, there are sandwiches, pasta, soups, salads). There is also a coffee bar in the lobby where you can buy mochas, et al. Free newspaper and in the afternoon, tiny cupcakes. Staff very helpful. Our room was huge, the bathroom was huge. There were 4big fluffy pillows on the bed - the bed was too soft for me. But it was a good soft, not an old saggy soft. We were in town for the "Nutcracker" - it was just a few blocks away. Parking was easy and included in price. Access to parking and rooms was convenient. The rooms were spotless - free popcorn, bottled water and Keurig coffees. Enjoyed our stay. No carpeting on the floors, so I was glad to have my slippers, we were there during extremely cold weather, we chose to keep the room cool, so the floors were cold. But that was our choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
I'm glad that you came to enjoy the Nutcracker ballet and that you were able to partake in all of the complimentary offerings of the hotel. The friendly staff will be waiting for you the next time that you come to see us!
All my best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Chose the Maxwell Hotel base on reviews and affordability. The hotel was good – comfortable beds, clean, good size rooms. Really liked the Kurig coffee makers – I wish every hotel would change over they are so much better. The laminate flooring was different but makes sense to keep things cleaner but noise could be an issue if people above you don’t take their shoes off. The location is decent – not right downtown but you are within walking distance of the Space Needle and museums. I don’t really have anything negative to say except it just did not “wow” me. It was a decent choice, just not a hotel I would rave about.

Room Tip: I would not pay extra for a room with a view – with only 3 stories – there is not much of a view of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review and I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We aim to WOW you and I'm sorry that this didn't occur. We will do everything in our power to make your next stay with us impressive!
All my best, Woody Braden
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I am still recovering from my stay in Seattle to see Pearl Jam! My boyfriend and I stayed here over the weekend and it was a lovely hotel! We loved everything about our stay at the Maxwell. The location to the Key Arena was as close as you could get! The hotel was gorgeous and the staff was great. The rooms were quite cozy...the bed was insanely comfy and we had a great view of the Space Needle. Thanks The Maxwell for allowing us to check in very early! Also loved that there were full length mirrors in the rooms....huge bonus!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
It was great to have you and I heard that Pearl Jam was amazing. We are definitely blessed to be one of the closest hotels to the Key Arena and we will continue to aim to take great care of you.
All my best, Woody Braden