“Delightful Surprise!”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I live 2 hours from Seattle & when I go into downtown, I usually stay the night, so I have stayed in many of the hotels. This was my first at the Maxwell Hotel & I stayed here because I was attending a performance at McCaw Hall in Seattle Center. I very much enjoyed this hotel, more than I expected.

It's not plush, doesn't have the warm Northwest wood tones & comfy ambiance, doesn't have a great location for most downtown offerings. But enough of what it doesn't have. What it DOES have is the perfect location for Seattle Center events, a delightfully friendly & helpful staff at Guest Reception, free parking ($40 + tax at most other downtown hotels), large rooms with self coffee service AND ceramic coffee mugs (you get paper at other "top" hotels), a guest refrigerator (other hotels often charge a fee) & a microwave (a rarity in other downtown hotels). Oh, and free wi-fi. Always a plus. I detest being nickel & dimed for wi-fi by 5* hotels.

The bathroom was large & had lots of counter space to spread out on. The floor had heating in the tiles, but sadly not enough & it was still cold. The shower did not have a curtain or door & I found that also a little cold. There was no extra heat in the bathroom & an open shower was rather chilling. Towels were thick & plush & plenty of them.

Decor is kind of a cross between South Beach Miami, Caribbean & Industrial. Bright colors, oddly mixed with stripes & patterns … but it all works. Definitely not your typical Northwest. The Industrial decor was more a feeling … it just felt somewhat industrial, from the hallways, to the elevators, to the furniture. Not that it was unpleasant … it wasn't.

The restaurant served good pizza & microbrews & the staff was also very friendly & provided excellent service. They had a large menu; pastas, salads, hamburgers. When I came "home" at about 11pm, the place was very busy; seems quite popular.

But very best of all -- I've saved the best for last -- was the incredibly comfortable bed. I still am in amazement. Their bed has beat out almost every other hotel bed in Seattle for comfort. And none other have topped it … I would give it a tie for comfort with maybe 2 or 3 other downtown hotels. This was quite simply a fabulously comfortable bed with excellent pillows, soft comforter & fine linens.

A lot of hotels, for some reason, tuck in so much of the sheets, blankets & comforters at the bottom of the bed, that it's almost like being short-sheeted. I'm tall, so if I want the blanket to reach higher than my waist, I have to virtually re-make the bed. It drives me crazy. It was so nice to climb into an amazingly comfortable bed, pull up the comforter & have it reach my ears!

Reasons why I'm not giving it 5 stars? Location. Although they do have a free shuttle to tourist spots in downtown, it stops running at 5:30pm, & I'd rather walk anyway. This hotel is walkable to downtown, but it's a bit of a walk. You could also catch the monorail at Seattle Ctr. And breakfast. No place nearby that I know of for breakfast. The restaurant is not open for breakfast. They do have a coffee bar in the lobby, with pastries, but that's it.

For the price, for the comfort, for many reasons, this was a great hotel. The next time I head to Seattle Center or anywhere near that area, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Denise70
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for the review! We love being so close to McCaw Hall and the Seattle Center. It's a great location with a lot to do and see and with plenty of great restaurants. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the reasonable price for the wonderful and comfortable stay and beds! Come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I found this lovely hotel online, had not stayed there before but was pleasantly surprised with what I found, Nice bright lobby, friendly & efficient staff, very clean, beds were so comfy, room was very clean and i loved the fact that they did not charge for wi-fi, offered complimentary bikes, have pool and fitness area and were in a good location away from the downtown busy area. Have recommended this to friends and will look to stay again.

Room Tip: The "view" room that I originally booked was on the front of the hotel which is where the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank curioustraveler2014

We are very glad that you enjoyed the bright lobby, friendly staff, and comfy beds. We aim to please! Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

DON'T use your GPS to find this great hotel or you'll end up as we did in the Eternal Circle of Doom. There is all kinds of construction going on around here which means that your GPS couldn't possibly know that the direct route it is mapping is actually impossible given that there are road closures, barricades, etc. We had to stop at another hotel and go Old School with a paper map and felt pen to end up here. But we are glad we persevered. Great funky decor, really good Wi-Fi, free parking, and even a nice touch of cupcakes in the lobby at 3:00 p.m. all make for a wonderful stay. Great eateries near by: try Bahn Thai a couple blocks away, and a terrific restaurant / pub accessible from the lobby called The Rock that serves up memorable thin crust pizzas.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Codiak!

Thank you for the review Codiak! We truly appreciate the review and we are sorry for the inconvenience while they try to make the area streets more accessible. Great recommendation for Bahn Thai and the Rock. We enjoy them too! Hopefully we'll see you again soon!
Very best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel was extremely clean, and the restaurant and bar were excellent places to eat and have a drink with friends. The hotel was also very quiet, even on Friday night. The location makes this a good hotel for exploring Seattle, especially the downtown and the waterfront. The benefit from having free onsite parking and shuttles to the two locations mentioned, allowed me to park the car and not have to worry about getting around. It would have been nice if the shuttle ran a little later in the day. The room was well appointed, and I had a great view of the Space Needle. I had such a good time, and the staff were helpful and pleasant, that I plan on making the Maxwell my preferred place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ted R
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review! We definitely encourage our travelers to park and then let us do the driving while you are here. We are glad to hear that you plan to come back and we will continue to go above and beyond for you.
All my best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We picked this hotel based on overheight parking (we drive a large truck) and have been pleasantly surprised. The parking is fabulous, the rooms are very clean (even the glasses!!) The beds are very comfortable, the front desk staff very accommodating and helpful. The only thing that would have made it a bit better for us, as we came for the boatshow, would to have had the shuttle be able to take us to the indoor location and then again to the Lake Union location. We followed the shuttle (in a taxi) and watched it go right past. Was rather frustrating. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance, for pretty much any food you want to eat (pub, sushi, thai, indian, mexican, greek, etc) All in all, its a very clean, well maintained and we could definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rivergirl1pr

Thank you for the terrific review! We are glad that you enjoyed the free parking and all the amenities the hotel has to offer. The shuttle is set up to go to five stops in the downtown area and for consistencies sake and to take care of the greatest number of guests possible we don't stray too much from this design. We truly are sorry that we weren't able to take you there. The shuttle has a twin that services two hotels near the University of Washington so you may have seen that one drive through the South Lake Union area on the way back to those hotels but if it was our hotel's shuttle then it was going that way for a hotel to hotel trip or a one-off trip. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and would love to have you back.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The frontage, lobby and public areas are very attractive, and just the kind of place to stay when visiting Seattle. However, the rooms are very hit and miss. A group of us visited on business, all paying the same rate, some got stunning rooms, with front vista’s, some got little rooms, of well below average standing. Overall it was great though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Hello CarlosHerni, Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. We truly appreciate the feedback. I'm truly sorry that you feel like we didn't treat the whole group equally but we certainly think that our "standard" rooms have every luxury that our suites have. They all have beautiful, spacious bathrooms, either King or two Queen beds, Keurig coffee makers, a fridge and microwave, and are very well appointed. We certainly don't feel that we have "well below average" rooms as 90% of the rooms are set up with the same layout and size. Once again, we are sorry that you came away with that impression. We would be happy to have you back in the future!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The room was large though the absence of a cupboard was felt. The iron was a big plus. The front office staff was nice and helpful and even provided a car for dropping to the airport (flat charge).
The internet was fast and the lobby had a comfortable ambiance.
Unfortunately, no provision for having breakfast...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PPStays

Thank you for making the trip all the way from Switzerland. We love having international travelers! Unfortunately, we don't include a breakfast in the room rate but we do have a wonderful little cafe that has breakfast items as well as a few top-notch breakfast spots within three or four blocks.