“Wish we stayed longer..” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Victoria, Canada
“Wish we stayed longer..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was a short get away for my sister and I.. and I booked this hotel based on reviews here, and the fact that they were listed on the Kenmore Air site when I was also booking our flights down from Victoria. We had a bit of frustrating start to our getaway due to fog delays and ultimately a cancellation of our flight down to Seattle (Kenmore Air was excellent though keeping us informed of our choices and rebooking..). I kept the Maxwell Hotel staff informed of our delays and they were very helpful with suggesting shuttle/taxi arrangements to/from Lake Union and, in the end, the waterfront where the Clipper docks.

We finally got to Seattle about 10hours later than expected, and were greeted by friendly staff at the hotel, and promptly got checked in. Our room was very nice, just as in the pictures. Our view was horrible.. But we weren't there for the view, nor were we in our room long enough to really need to look at the view. It was just a bit disconcerting to see a pretty run down apartment behind the hotel, as it made us a bit nervous to explore the surrounding area (if we actually had time to do that!). Our room was comfortable. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom large, and I particularly liked the shower. There was a Keurig coffee machine in the room, which was fantastic, although some creamer in the minifridge would've been nice rather than coffeemate. Lighting in the room was adequate, but not the greatest. One thing that was missing from the room that we thought was a bit odd was one of those binders that hotel rooms usually have outlining the services and information of the hotel and the surrounding area. Maybe it was just missing from our room. Wifi was free and easy to hook into.

Breakfast was available in the lobby from the Pineapple Expresso.. a small little counter area where you can order a bagel and coffee, or an egg burrito along with your coffee. The food was quite nice. It would've been nice to have a separate area for the breakfast bar as it was located behind the check in counter and away from the seating area of the very large and funky lobby.

We ate at the Rock our first night and had drinks there the second night (in the bar area for both) and really enjoyed the atmosphere, food and drinks.

Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to use the fitness and pool area, or the bikes. But when we go back to Seattle, we'll likely be staying again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon M
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay. We are sorry for all of the delays that you experienced in getting here but are glad that the staff greeted you warmly and set you up in a comfortable room. The view isn't the greatest but, believe me, the area is safe and actually really nice. We are glad to hear that you will be coming back on your next visit to Seattle. We will take great care of you!
All my best, Woody Braden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Maxwell overnight while in the city for a concert. It had been a while since I"d have the opportunity to stay in Seattle so I was very excited, especially after hearing some great first-hand reviews from friends & business associates.

And they were right! The Maxwell is amazing - welcoming staff, great decor, cool rooms, comfy beds and well appointed bathrooms (loved the Tommy Bahama toiletries) Parking was FREE and easy in & out. Staff was very accommodating about switching out cars on our second day even on a VERY BUSY weekend (Justin Timberlake & the AFC Championship game)

Also the Maxwell is in a great location - easy to walk to Westlake area for dining and shopping. A 5-10 minute walk to Key Arena, The Space Needle and EMP. Even had a great run one morning down to the Lake a back - a real treat. Hope to be able to use their free bicycles on our next trip when the weather is warmer.

While there's lots to see and do on foot a short UBER ride in to downtown was just over $5!

Had drinks and a snack at The Rock (?) - very convenient not to mention tasty - plus a McMenamins right across the street - loved it!

All in all I'd say a great experience at a great price. Will be back back again. Would happily stay with friends, for a couples getaway or with my 7 year old son in tow. A great place to stay and experience the city.

Room Tip: We were only on the 2nd floor but didn't experience any issues with noise from the street or res...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We love hosting concert going guests! The Maxwell is in a perfect location just a few blocks from the Key Arena. We truly enjoyed taking care of you and want everyone to have this kind of stay! Come back and see us soon!
Very best, Woody Braden
Whidbey Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I live 2 hours from Seattle & when I go into downtown, I usually stay the night, so I have stayed in many of the hotels. This was my first at the Maxwell Hotel & I stayed here because I was attending a performance at McCaw Hall in Seattle Center. I very much enjoyed this hotel, more than I expected.

It's not plush, doesn't have the warm Northwest wood tones & comfy ambiance, doesn't have a great location for most downtown offerings. But enough of what it doesn't have. What it DOES have is the perfect location for Seattle Center events, a delightfully friendly & helpful staff at Guest Reception, free parking ($40 + tax at most other downtown hotels), large rooms with self coffee service AND ceramic coffee mugs (you get paper at other "top" hotels), a guest refrigerator (other hotels often charge a fee) & a microwave (a rarity in other downtown hotels). Oh, and free wi-fi. Always a plus. I detest being nickel & dimed for wi-fi by 5* hotels.

The bathroom was large & had lots of counter space to spread out on. The floor had heating in the tiles, but sadly not enough & it was still cold. The shower did not have a curtain or door & I found that also a little cold. There was no extra heat in the bathroom & an open shower was rather chilling. Towels were thick & plush & plenty of them.

Decor is kind of a cross between South Beach Miami, Caribbean & Industrial. Bright colors, oddly mixed with stripes & patterns … but it all works. Definitely not your typical Northwest. The Industrial decor was more a feeling … it just felt somewhat industrial, from the hallways, to the elevators, to the furniture. Not that it was unpleasant … it wasn't.

The restaurant served good pizza & microbrews & the staff was also very friendly & provided excellent service. They had a large menu; pastas, salads, hamburgers. When I came "home" at about 11pm, the place was very busy; seems quite popular.

But very best of all -- I've saved the best for last -- was the incredibly comfortable bed. I still am in amazement. Their bed has beat out almost every other hotel bed in Seattle for comfort. And none other have topped it … I would give it a tie for comfort with maybe 2 or 3 other downtown hotels. This was quite simply a fabulously comfortable bed with excellent pillows, soft comforter & fine linens.

A lot of hotels, for some reason, tuck in so much of the sheets, blankets & comforters at the bottom of the bed, that it's almost like being short-sheeted. I'm tall, so if I want the blanket to reach higher than my waist, I have to virtually re-make the bed. It drives me crazy. It was so nice to climb into an amazingly comfortable bed, pull up the comforter & have it reach my ears!

Reasons why I'm not giving it 5 stars? Location. Although they do have a free shuttle to tourist spots in downtown, it stops running at 5:30pm, & I'd rather walk anyway. This hotel is walkable to downtown, but it's a bit of a walk. You could also catch the monorail at Seattle Ctr. And breakfast. No place nearby that I know of for breakfast. The restaurant is not open for breakfast. They do have a coffee bar in the lobby, with pastries, but that's it.

For the price, for the comfort, for many reasons, this was a great hotel. The next time I head to Seattle Center or anywhere near that area, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Denise70
Thank you for the review! We love being so close to McCaw Hall and the Seattle Center. It's a great location with a lot to do and see and with plenty of great restaurants. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the reasonable price for the wonderful and comfortable stay and beds! Come back and see us soon.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I found this lovely hotel online, had not stayed there before but was pleasantly surprised with what I found, Nice bright lobby, friendly & efficient staff, very clean, beds were so comfy, room was very clean and i loved the fact that they did not charge for wi-fi, offered complimentary bikes, have pool and fitness area and were in a good location away from the downtown busy area. Have recommended this to friends and will look to stay again.

Room Tip: The "view" room that I originally booked was on the front of the hotel which is where the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank curioustraveler2014
We are very glad that you enjoyed the bright lobby, friendly staff, and comfy beds. We aim to please! Please come see us again soon.
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

DON'T use your GPS to find this great hotel or you'll end up as we did in the Eternal Circle of Doom. There is all kinds of construction going on around here which means that your GPS couldn't possibly know that the direct route it is mapping is actually impossible given that there are road closures, barricades, etc. We had to stop at another hotel and go Old School with a paper map and felt pen to end up here. But we are glad we persevered. Great funky decor, really good Wi-Fi, free parking, and even a nice touch of cupcakes in the lobby at 3:00 p.m. all make for a wonderful stay. Great eateries near by: try Bahn Thai a couple blocks away, and a terrific restaurant / pub accessible from the lobby called The Rock that serves up memorable thin crust pizzas.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Codiak!
Thank you for the review Codiak! We truly appreciate the review and we are sorry for the inconvenience while they try to make the area streets more accessible. Great recommendation for Bahn Thai and the Rock. We enjoy them too! Hopefully we'll see you again soon!
Very best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager
Sisters, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel was extremely clean, and the restaurant and bar were excellent places to eat and have a drink with friends. The hotel was also very quiet, even on Friday night. The location makes this a good hotel for exploring Seattle, especially the downtown and the waterfront. The benefit from having free onsite parking and shuttles to the two locations mentioned, allowed me to park the car and not have to worry about getting around. It would have been nice if the shuttle ran a little later in the day. The room was well appointed, and I had a great view of the Space Needle. I had such a good time, and the staff were helpful and pleasant, that I plan on making the Maxwell my preferred place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ted R
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review! We definitely encourage our travelers to park and then let us do the driving while you are here. We are glad to hear that you plan to come back and we will continue to go above and beyond for you.
All my best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We picked this hotel based on overheight parking (we drive a large truck) and have been pleasantly surprised. The parking is fabulous, the rooms are very clean (even the glasses!!) The beds are very comfortable, the front desk staff very accommodating and helpful. The only thing that would have made it a bit better for us, as we came for the boatshow, would to have had the shuttle be able to take us to the indoor location and then again to the Lake Union location. We followed the shuttle (in a taxi) and watched it go right past. Was rather frustrating. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance, for pretty much any food you want to eat (pub, sushi, thai, indian, mexican, greek, etc) All in all, its a very clean, well maintained and we could definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rivergirl1pr
Thank you for the terrific review! We are glad that you enjoyed the free parking and all the amenities the hotel has to offer. The shuttle is set up to go to five stops in the downtown area and for consistencies sake and to take care of the greatest number of guests possible we don't stray too much from this design. We truly are sorry that we weren't able to take you there. The shuttle has a twin that services two hotels near the University of Washington so you may have seen that one drive through the South Lake Union area on the way back to those hotels but if it was our hotel's shuttle then it was going that way for a hotel to hotel trip or a one-off trip. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and would love to have you back.