“Great Hotel, stay here!”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Elsewhere
“Great Hotel, stay here!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Booked 2 nights here through BA avoid points. Excellent hotel, great rooms, great staff, best position for Space needle, EMP museum and monorail. Complimentary shuttle to and from various parts of the city including Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square (underground tour). Complimentary bicycles if you are feelng energetic.
The Rock pizza served a great pizza at a great price on site. Free parking underground and free coffee and cupcakes every afternoon/evening.
Small slightly cold small pool was the only minor downer in an otherwise excellent experience

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank visitorwithsense
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
We truly appreciate you leaving such a wonderful review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We definitely enjoy giving amenities away for free and we will continue to do so. Nice work using the points for the stay! See you soon I hope.
All my best, Woody Braden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Honolulu
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was our second time back at this hotel. With the free parking (small stalls), Wifi, and excellent staff, this hotel is a good place to stay. Its close to the light rail system that takes you to downtown and its a 15 minute walk to Pike's market. Its about 1 hour drive from Snoqualmie ski resort. They also have a good pizza place located in the hotel call the rock. However, there beds need to updated. It tends to sag in the middle of the bed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for coming back to see us and leaving a wonderful review! We truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am so sorry to hear that the bed wasn't completely perfect for you. It might have been a frame issue which we can correct. Please email me directly at wbraden@themaxwellhotel.com with more details if you have a moment. I appreciate your time!
Very best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager
Surrey
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We recently stayed at the Maxwell Hotel in Seattle, 2 adults and 2 small children. What a fantastic surprise! Great value, great location, walking distance to all Seattle Center attractions. FREE parking underground, a savings of $35-40 compared to other hotels. Welcomed by very friendly staff and mini cupcakes/coffee in the funky-decorated lobby. Rooms are different from your standard hotel - laminate floors, great artwork and design, walk-in showers. Very comfortable. The Rock restaurant downstairs actually quite tasty too. We had a quiet room in the back of the hotel, which translated into a poor view - the only drawback of our stay! We will definitely go back, and request a room higher up for a better view.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms on the north side will have poor view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dann C
We truly enjoy welcoming and taking great care of families here at the Maxwell. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and we definitely will try to get you on the top floor when you return to see us.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our night at the Maxwell got off to a rough start. We were in Room 502, a lovely King Bed room on the 3rd Avenue (west) side that appeared freshly decorated and appointed. All was well...until the gigantic AC compressor immediately below the window started running. It sounded like a big 12-cylinder marine diesel, and was obviously going to make sleep impossible. Agata, the front desk staffer on duty, stepped right up and moved us to a view room on the Roy Street side. All was well from then on...beautiful, comfortable room with quick access to the McCaw Hall parking garage. We love the hotel & the staff, but wonder just what the architect and contractor were thinking when they located that AC unit!

Room Tip: Unless you really enjoy A/C compressor noise, avoid the upper floor rooms on the west (3rd Avenue) s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank graybeard3
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry for the noise caused by the air unit and I'm definitely excited that Agata took great care of you. She does a great job!
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was a short get away for my sister and I.. and I booked this hotel based on reviews here, and the fact that they were listed on the Kenmore Air site when I was also booking our flights down from Victoria. We had a bit of frustrating start to our getaway due to fog delays and ultimately a cancellation of our flight down to Seattle (Kenmore Air was excellent though keeping us informed of our choices and rebooking..). I kept the Maxwell Hotel staff informed of our delays and they were very helpful with suggesting shuttle/taxi arrangements to/from Lake Union and, in the end, the waterfront where the Clipper docks.

We finally got to Seattle about 10hours later than expected, and were greeted by friendly staff at the hotel, and promptly got checked in. Our room was very nice, just as in the pictures. Our view was horrible.. But we weren't there for the view, nor were we in our room long enough to really need to look at the view. It was just a bit disconcerting to see a pretty run down apartment behind the hotel, as it made us a bit nervous to explore the surrounding area (if we actually had time to do that!). Our room was comfortable. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom large, and I particularly liked the shower. There was a Keurig coffee machine in the room, which was fantastic, although some creamer in the minifridge would've been nice rather than coffeemate. Lighting in the room was adequate, but not the greatest. One thing that was missing from the room that we thought was a bit odd was one of those binders that hotel rooms usually have outlining the services and information of the hotel and the surrounding area. Maybe it was just missing from our room. Wifi was free and easy to hook into.

Breakfast was available in the lobby from the Pineapple Expresso.. a small little counter area where you can order a bagel and coffee, or an egg burrito along with your coffee. The food was quite nice. It would've been nice to have a separate area for the breakfast bar as it was located behind the check in counter and away from the seating area of the very large and funky lobby.

We ate at the Rock our first night and had drinks there the second night (in the bar area for both) and really enjoyed the atmosphere, food and drinks.

Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to use the fitness and pool area, or the bikes. But when we go back to Seattle, we'll likely be staying again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon M
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay. We are sorry for all of the delays that you experienced in getting here but are glad that the staff greeted you warmly and set you up in a comfortable room. The view isn't the greatest but, believe me, the area is safe and actually really nice. We are glad to hear that you will be coming back on your next visit to Seattle. We will take great care of you!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Maxwell overnight while in the city for a concert. It had been a while since I"d have the opportunity to stay in Seattle so I was very excited, especially after hearing some great first-hand reviews from friends & business associates.

And they were right! The Maxwell is amazing - welcoming staff, great decor, cool rooms, comfy beds and well appointed bathrooms (loved the Tommy Bahama toiletries) Parking was FREE and easy in & out. Staff was very accommodating about switching out cars on our second day even on a VERY BUSY weekend (Justin Timberlake & the AFC Championship game)

Also the Maxwell is in a great location - easy to walk to Westlake area for dining and shopping. A 5-10 minute walk to Key Arena, The Space Needle and EMP. Even had a great run one morning down to the Lake a back - a real treat. Hope to be able to use their free bicycles on our next trip when the weather is warmer.

While there's lots to see and do on foot a short UBER ride in to downtown was just over $5!

Had drinks and a snack at The Rock (?) - very convenient not to mention tasty - plus a McMenamins right across the street - loved it!

All in all I'd say a great experience at a great price. Will be back back again. Would happily stay with friends, for a couples getaway or with my 7 year old son in tow. A great place to stay and experience the city.

Room Tip: We were only on the 2nd floor but didn't experience any issues with noise from the street or res...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
We love hosting concert going guests! The Maxwell is in a perfect location just a few blocks from the Key Arena. We truly enjoyed taking care of you and want everyone to have this kind of stay! Come back and see us soon!
Very best, Woody Braden
Whidbey Island, Washington
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I live 2 hours from Seattle & when I go into downtown, I usually stay the night, so I have stayed in many of the hotels. This was my first at the Maxwell Hotel & I stayed here because I was attending a performance at McCaw Hall in Seattle Center. I very much enjoyed this hotel, more than I expected.

It's not plush, doesn't have the warm Northwest wood tones & comfy ambiance, doesn't have a great location for most downtown offerings. But enough of what it doesn't have. What it DOES have is the perfect location for Seattle Center events, a delightfully friendly & helpful staff at Guest Reception, free parking ($40 + tax at most other downtown hotels), large rooms with self coffee service AND ceramic coffee mugs (you get paper at other "top" hotels), a guest refrigerator (other hotels often charge a fee) & a microwave (a rarity in other downtown hotels). Oh, and free wi-fi. Always a plus. I detest being nickel & dimed for wi-fi by 5* hotels.

The bathroom was large & had lots of counter space to spread out on. The floor had heating in the tiles, but sadly not enough & it was still cold. The shower did not have a curtain or door & I found that also a little cold. There was no extra heat in the bathroom & an open shower was rather chilling. Towels were thick & plush & plenty of them.

Decor is kind of a cross between South Beach Miami, Caribbean & Industrial. Bright colors, oddly mixed with stripes & patterns … but it all works. Definitely not your typical Northwest. The Industrial decor was more a feeling … it just felt somewhat industrial, from the hallways, to the elevators, to the furniture. Not that it was unpleasant … it wasn't.

The restaurant served good pizza & microbrews & the staff was also very friendly & provided excellent service. They had a large menu; pastas, salads, hamburgers. When I came "home" at about 11pm, the place was very busy; seems quite popular.

But very best of all -- I've saved the best for last -- was the incredibly comfortable bed. I still am in amazement. Their bed has beat out almost every other hotel bed in Seattle for comfort. And none other have topped it … I would give it a tie for comfort with maybe 2 or 3 other downtown hotels. This was quite simply a fabulously comfortable bed with excellent pillows, soft comforter & fine linens.

A lot of hotels, for some reason, tuck in so much of the sheets, blankets & comforters at the bottom of the bed, that it's almost like being short-sheeted. I'm tall, so if I want the blanket to reach higher than my waist, I have to virtually re-make the bed. It drives me crazy. It was so nice to climb into an amazingly comfortable bed, pull up the comforter & have it reach my ears!

Reasons why I'm not giving it 5 stars? Location. Although they do have a free shuttle to tourist spots in downtown, it stops running at 5:30pm, & I'd rather walk anyway. This hotel is walkable to downtown, but it's a bit of a walk. You could also catch the monorail at Seattle Ctr. And breakfast. No place nearby that I know of for breakfast. The restaurant is not open for breakfast. They do have a coffee bar in the lobby, with pastries, but that's it.

For the price, for the comfort, for many reasons, this was a great hotel. The next time I head to Seattle Center or anywhere near that area, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Denise70
Thank you for the review! We love being so close to McCaw Hall and the Seattle Center. It's a great location with a lot to do and see and with plenty of great restaurants. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the reasonable price for the wonderful and comfortable stay and beds! Come back and see us soon.