“Great location, friendly staff but patchy wifi”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
London
“Great location, friendly staff but patchy wifi”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Mostly excellent and very well located. The main negative was that the wifi was very unreliable, which is hopeless if you're travelling on business. My room was at the back and a little dark (and even at night the lighting in the room was poor). But the staff were very helpful and friendly and the room otherwise great- a good size, nicely decorated and very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for joining us here at the Maxwell! I'm sorry to hear that the WiFi was unreliable. Our terrific IT team has worked hard to make sure that the hotel is completely covered and working properly. If you have a moment, please email me the room that you stayed in and I will work on the lighting and the WiFi issues. wbraden@staypineapple.com. Thank you for the review!
All my best, Woody Braden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Newton, Kansas
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I made reservations based on other reviews of the Maxwell and so glad I did. This little gem is not only beautiful inside, it is close great places to eat and just minutes away from the office building where we had a meeting scheduled.
The bed is THE MOST COMFORTABLE bed I've ever slept in. Typically, I struggle through the night with a mattress that is either too hard or too soft. Not so here. Coffee in the room was awesome and single brew.
The desk service was friendly too. Just loved the place and would go back without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank juliev1953
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
We truly appreciate you staying with us and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed all of the room amenities including the soft bed, the location, and the friendly staff. Come back soon!
All my best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager
Deming, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is a great place to stay while visiting Seattle. They offer a shuttle service that will take you just about anyplace you want to go. And, we had no trouble booking it. The only thing I will say is the last pickup is a little early if you want to try to go and have dinner and see the sunset. The last pickup is at 5:30. But, the staff working there and the accomodations make up for that! The only other negative is you don't have a view from your room - so don't book it if you are expecting to view sights from your room. The pineapple cupcakes are a real treat!

Room Tip: You can hear some noise from rooms above, so would try to get a top floor. Also, don't get a ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you 1Calypso! It sounds like you enjoyed the hotel staff and the complimentary shuttle. We work hard to keep all of our wonderful guests happy. Thank you for staying!
West Allis, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at the Maxwell Hotel in Seattle, WA on a recent trip to visit my brother. I absent mindedly forgot some personal items in a drawer. I called and got in touch with Lucas and Maria in Housekeeping and they found my items and sent them off to me immediately. I figured they would be lost. But the Housekeeping department there saved the day! What a wonderful feeling knowing that not you but your possessions are SAFE. Simply the best!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the review! Traveling often includes one or two misplaced items and we definitely try to get everything found back to the guests. Lucas and Maria are truly great employees and I'm not surprised that they took great care of you!
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is so much cooler than your average chain. First of all the staff are super-friendly. We were able to check in a little early and the staff didn't even blink, welcomed us, and then told us we had been upgraded to a nicer room! --We now had a view of the Space Needle and a private balcony. My kids were in heaven.
The decor is funky and fun and also just nicely done without trying to be too "edgy". Colors are fresh and fun and and the rooms were clean. Lots of great details, even down to the bright yellow mugs which we nabbed a couple of (bought in the coffee shop in the lobby) and are now my favorite tea mugs at home, and my best souvenirs from our trip to Seattle. .
You cannot get a better location, especially at this price, (and believe me, I am a bargain shopper and do my research) for a family looking to walk around and get all touristy.
Sweet, helpful, and fun staff. Also yummy cupcakes which make everything better.

Room Tip: I don't know how we got so lucky, but the upper, corner "Diva" room was great.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanna B
Thank you for the fantastic review! The staff and I are here to welcome you warmly and take care of your every need so I'm thrilled that we succeeded. I'm glad that we got you in early and gave you a complimentary upgrade! Thank you for staying!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Hotel Maxwell is a gem of a hotel in Seattle! The decor is very interesting and a little funky. The room is really well-designed and has a mini fridge and a microwave. The cleaning staff do an amazing job. I saw what they were doing to other rooms as I walked by and they clearly do a top-notch job to get the rooms clean. There is a small indoor pool which I did not use. The location is great for Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP Museum, Chihuly Museum, etc.) However, to get to other parts of Seattle (Pike's Place Market, ferries, etc.) you need another form of transportation unless you like walking for miles. The hotel does offer free bikes but the city is so hilly that it would be challenging to bike around. However, the hotel does offer a free shuttle for many hours during the day but I believe you need to make a reservation. I rented a car at the airport which I was happy to have. There is free garage parking but the spaces are so tight that I could barely get out of my car. I have never seen such narrow and tight parking spaces. If you have anything other than a compact car it's tough to maneuver around the garage. There are some great restaurants near the hotel (Toulouse Petit for breakfast) and Kerry Park is a short walk and gives you amazing views of the city. I heard that they offer cupcakes in the late afternoon but I was never around to sample them. I had some trouble with my key working in my room door and that was a bit of a pain. And be forewarned that you cannot enter the parking garage without a room key. The sign for where to park when checking in was incredibly confusing because it directed you to the garage (which you can't get into until you check in). I found the room to be very comfortable and relatively quiet. I would definitely stay here again if I went back to Seattle.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rtsb22
Thank you for staying with us and for leaving such a fine review! I'm glad that you really explored the city and came back to a well-cleaned room. The housekeeping team does such a great job every day and we are happy when we get to give them praise. I'm sorry that the parking situation wasn't ideal. We try to accommodate as many cars as possible and keep the parking free. You can always pull down the ramp and push the button and we will open the door for you so that you can first park and then come up to the desk to check in. You can also simply park in the open upper area and come in the front doors. We certainly don't want it to be confusing. Come back and see us soon!
Very best, Woody Braden
Marshalltown, Iowa
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great location, interesting decor, pet friendly, attentive staff, complimentary bikes, yummy cupcakes, free covered parking, many restaurants nearby. Did I leave anything out?

There is an excellent pizza joint in the same building, but a short walk up the street will take you to several interesting eateries, including vegetarian, Middle Eastern and other types of cusine. Teatro ZinZanni right is right across the street. It feels like a safe area to walk in. Easy access to I-5.

My kids really enjoyed the bikes. The staff showed them the best places to ride on the complimentary maps. All staff very friendly and helpful. It is a very easy walk to the Space Needle and EMP. Shuttle takes you to Public Market. There is bottled water, coffee, and microwave popcorn in room that is all free. Has a keurig coffee machine and fridge. Nice big walk-in tiled shower. Parking gets a little tight on weekends. Lobby is spacious and welcoming. The in-house coffee shop had decent coffee, but pastries were not that great (except of course the free cupcakes they put out at night, which were awesome!).

The fitness room is pretty small and basic; this is one area that could use improvement. The "swimmng pool" is not much bigger than a large hot-tub and really only for kiddies. They would be better off making the fitness area bigger and putting in a hot-tub instead of that mini-pool.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MarshalltownMan
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a tremendous review and thank you for staying with us. It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time and we are happy that you were able to try out everything that the hotel has to offer. Come back and see our friendly staff anytime!
All my best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager