“Overpriced and underwhelmed.”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I understand that many of the hotels in Seattle are very expensive. However, we paid $350 for one night in a room that smelled moldy. Our room was not ready when we got there. Although the room itself was very clean, the carpet outside was not. The little cupcakes were good, but people left wrappers everywhere, which did not get cleaned up right away. One of the lamps in our room didn't work. It was little things like this that really were displeasing. In addition, the Rock restaurant/bar in the lobby was not very good. The house beers were quite bad. Not the hotel's fault, but it just wasn't a great experience. On the plus side, the hotel was within walking distance of quite a few restaurants, the Space Needle, the EMP museum, the Chihuly exhibit, etc. The room itself was okay. Still, overall, I was a bit disappointed. I have stayed in nicer hotels in expensive cities that weren't as pricy.

Room Tip: We had a view of the Space Needle. And a highway. Not worth it.
2  Thank Aimee A
Woody B, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for being so honest and letting us know some of the issues with your stay. Please email me directly at wbraden@staypineapple.com as I would really like to know what room smelled moldy. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the hotel and we are very concerned when we fall short. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and the nice rooms.
All my best, Woody Braden

Write a ReviewReviews (2,818)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The best beds, linen and pillows ever! Had a couple of nights here. Rooms very clean and tidy and nice large bathroom with walk in shower. However our view was nothing like the website photos show. (Space Needle and beautiful night lights) We looked onto air conditioning units and what looked like to be the hotel back car park. This was disappointing. Enjoyed our stay here but if you don't know the area it feels like its in the middle of nowhere. Once we got to know the area and how to get about it was walking distance to Space Needle and Monorail. Caught the free shuttle into town and the monorail back. For us we would have preferred too have stayed in the city more.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the compliment on the beds and pillows. We truly appreciate the feedback and try to use it to get better. I'm so sorry about the view that you received. We have plenty of view room types with views and they are only a bit more than the standard room types. Please feel free to book this next time.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a great stay at The Maxwell. We received a friendly welcome at check in and all the employees we encountered were courteous and jolly.

The rooms are large, have attractive decor and very comfy beds. There are plenty of drawers but the room would benefit from a little more hanging space. The bathroom was spacious, spotlessly clean, well lit, had plenty of towels and nice toiletries. We really liked the shower.

The public areas are comfortable and the supply of cupcakes & coffee in the afternoon appealing. The wifi signal in the lobby was good, it's great to be offered free wifi but in our room it was terribly slow.

The location is spot on, it's a short walk to downtown (we didn't need the courtesy shuttle) and the monorail is great fun if you're a bit tired after your day out. There are some lovely restaurants located very close. If you fancy a slightly longer walk you should try the ones at (south) Lake Union, your walk time will be determined by path closures due to construction but the food was wonderful and the view superb. If you can manage the steep hill, it's worth going up to Kerry Park for the view.

Check out was efficient and we took advantage of the offer of a bookable service to the airport.

In terms of value for money, the Maxwell cannot be beaten.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

I'm glad that you were welcomed so well by the jolly team and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay! I'm so sorry to hear about the slow wifi and we are looking at ways to improve this. Please call us at the desk so that we can see if we can boost the signal.
Very best, Woody Braden - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Brilliant location in a vibrant residential neighbourhood, good restaurants and bars, and the best grocery store we have ever been to, award winning.
Close enough to the city and there is a shuttle service.
Beautiful residential neighbourhood just higher up the road, and a breathtaking viewpoint of the whole city, bay and Olympic Mountain.
Huge beautiful room and bathroom, designer furnishings and style, very well equipped.
Helpful, informative and friendly staff.

1  Thank Philippo778

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the bathroom, the location, and all the amenities.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is an amazing hotel! In a city that seems to have jacked up prices for any decently (and some completely mediocre) named hotels, The Maxwell is an absolute jewel.

The staff are amazing, the hotel is amazing, and if you fancy a pizza then The Rock definitely impressed my husband and I as well. The hotel is clean, fresh, and tastefully decorated. From the moment you walk through the door it is extremely welcoming, and this feeling is extended when you go to your room. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated, and come with pretty much everything you need to get settled in. Parking was very easy and free, and I thought that the easy elevator access from the garage to the hotel was very good planning.

The showers are wonderful, in fact, my two bath loving children had to be dragged out of it, and the shower gels/shampoo/conditioner smell wonderful. They made me feel like I should be on a tropical holiday somewhere!

We loved the cupcakes and coffee in the lobby, it's a wonderful touch for people who might have had a long day of travel.

The pool was a tad too brisk for my husband and I, but our kids had a blast in it, the exercise room looked small but well stocked for a gym blast.

The walkability from this hotel is wonderful. Very funky neighborhood with lots of things to see and do. Super close to The needle, EPM, and only about a two block walk from a really nice restaurant district. There is a large drugstore less then a five minute walk from the hotel that stocks a lot of stuff if you need anything.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat, very impressed by the entire package!

1  Thank Its41day

What a great review! We love having families stay with us. It sounds like we took great care of you and I'm so happy about that. Come back soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights on a stopover to Eugene. It is just behind the Space Needle. The staff are very welcoming and VERY helpful. Others hotels should take note. The room was spacious and very clean and tidy. You can walk to most things from there and there is good public transport. I would most certainly recommend and would not hesitate to stay there again.

1  Thank Jrasher
Woody B, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you had safe travels! We will be here for you next time around.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Went there for work purposes, and I enjoyed my two weeks stay at Maxwell. Clean, tidy, friendly, and helpful staff. Location is perfect.

Hint: you MUST try the oven pizza down stairs, and enjoy the whiskey menu.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Maestro G

We were glad to have you for an extended stay. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we definitely hope that work brings you back around. I'll thank the Rock for serving tasty food!