“An Okay Stay - Great Proximity to Centurylink Field”

Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square
Ranked #41 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights while on a trip to Seattle to watch a Seahawks game. The hotel is conveniently located to the stadium which was only a couple minute walk away. The area around the hotel is what you’d expect in the downtown area of a large city, with plenty of homeless people. As we arrived and were climbing out of our car in front of the hotel when we were approached by the first homeless gentleman we’d see on this trip looking for a handout. When we arrived there were already about three cars parked in front near the valet, so we parked a few cars down. I’d imagine we wouldn’t have been approached if we had been able to park right at the valet desk. Check-in was fairly straight forward, although we were checking in with friends who were staying in their own room, and they got our rooms mixed up. This took about 20 minutes to fix and a bit of frustration because when we got on the elevator, our keys wouldn’t allow us to go to our floor. Someone on a higher floor called the elevator, so we had to ride up and down a bit until we could get off and have the problem corrected. The room was large with a nice sitting area. Everything was clean. Our room faced into an alley which was okay because we were only there to sleep, but it was quite loud briefly each night when the garbage truck showed up with a lot of smashing and crashing somewhere between 10pm and midnight. We are quite picky about the products we put on our bodies, and the shampoo/conditioner/body lotion was well below average by today’s standards with them offering Paul Mitchell (I think) products loaded with chemicals and artificial scents. The room had plenty of towels and such, and bedding was comfortable including a selection of pillows. One of our friends in the other room has an allergy to feathers, so housekeeping supplied non-feather bedding the next night. We ate breakfast at the restaurant downstairs and the service was excellent. The breakfast was very reasonably priced (about $10 per meal) and quite good, and came out quickly. We ate breakfast there both days. We stopped in to have drinks in their bar one night and found it extremely pricy at around $10 per drink. They were also out of all of our first choices, and when they were out of some of our second choices the girls just grabbed a glass of wine and that was it for the night. Not sure how things were going to play out for the Seahawks crowd the next day with them being out of so many common drinks! Parking here seemed really expensive at around $25/day, but what are you going do right? Our friends had selected this hotel, and we thought it was extremely expensive for what we got. The location is hard to beat when attending a Seahawks game, but we’ll likely look elsewhere for our next trip down there.

1  Thank Victoriatravelers
Laura S, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for your review of the Pioneer Square Courtyard. I am happy to hear to that you enjoyed our convenient location to the stadium. I am sorry about the confusion you experienced at check in. Check in at our hotel usually runs smoothly and will take this back to my staff as a learning experience. I have also already brought the lack of drinks available to our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure this does not happen again. Although I can see how our valet parking might seem expensive, one perk of using our valet services while staying with us for a football game is that you can leave your car until after that game for no additional fee. As well, guests have complete in and out access to their car 24 hours a day. I hope you will reconsider and stay with us on your next visit to Seattle.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We took the BoltBus from Vancouver to Seattle.
You have to handle your own luggage.
If you are in group A, then you will board the bus 1st.
There is free wifi once you enter the USA.
It left at 6:30 am
At the border, you have to take everything off the bus to go through US customs. There is no public washroom here so limit your liquid consumption or use the washroom onboard.
The bus stops in Bellingham at Cordata station. There are washrooms here which may or may not be open.
In Seattle, the bus stops in Chinatown.
Looking at a map of hotels, I figured the closest hotel was the Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square at 612 2nd Ave.
This hotel is housed in a former bank building built in 1908.
They have several free internet stations off the main lobby.
The room was tastefully decorated in a soft turquoise colour.
I was really impressed.
They also have a Cuisinart beverage maker in the room.
The only disappointment was that the bed sagged.
The location is great with a Starbucks across the street & a bus stop kitty-corner to the hotel.
Everything is closed on Christmas; even McDonald's.
So we had planned ahead & made reservations on OpenTable for the Hook & Plow which is in the Marriott Waterfront.
They normally have a 3 course tasting menu for $ 30 where you let the chef know your likes&dislikes & he will prepare a meal for you.
However, since they had a special Christmas menu; this wasn't offered.
Too bad, as it sounded really interesting.
The Christmas menu was $ 36.00 which included a starter, entree & dessert BUT no coffee/tea.
I think our server Elizabeth was new as she made a number of faux pas.
When she came to take our order, she said "Would you like to order the dessert now or after the entree ?" I thought she meant 'would you like to order the dessert now or after the meal'. So we said 'after'. Then after we ordered the starter & entree, she said 'and what would you like for dessert ?" HUH ?
We wait a long time for the starters.
DH had the butternut squash soup & I had a beet salad.
Then, I was almost finishing the salad when she showed up with the entrees !
Not only was I not finished, the starter plates hadn't even been cleared away.
I was flabbergasted.
DH had the salmon & I had ravioli.
The entrees were served in shallow bowls.
I don't know why restaurants like to use these for anything other than soup.
For dessert, DH had a chocolate mousse & I had warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream. The pie crust was really flaky.
When the bill came, Elizabeth asked "Are you staying at the Marriott ?"
'No.'
"Perfect !"
Did she realize what she just said ?
The food was fine but I just gave her 10% tip.

Dec 26

Today we went to Chinatown for lunch.
We saw people going into a Hong Kong Style Cafe.
I think it was called Pacific Cafe.
DH had a baked pork chop rice & I had a vegetarian chow kuay teow.
It was non salty & filling.
We didn't want to spend a lot of money on bus fare so decided to walk everywhere.
Next, we went Uwajimaya which is a Japanese supermarket/book store.
Then we went to Daiso nearby, which is a store that sells most items for $ 1.50
Then, we went to Ex-Officio which is a travel clothing store.
I wanted to buy the FlyQ vest which is a vest with 9 pockets on the inside for all your travel essentials. When going through security screening, you would just remove your vest & place it in the bin for screening.
Then we went to the Sheraton to see the GIngerbread Village.
The theme was Nursery Rhymes.
There was a huge line.
They accept donations for JDRF ( Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ).
It was very elaborate.
Then we went to the Cheesecake Factory right across the street for dinner.
We always only order an appetizer so we will have room for the cheesecake.
DH ordered the Mini Lettuce Wraps & I had the Mini Crab Cakes.
For dessert, DH ordered the Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake & I had the Peppermint Candy Cheesecake.
On the bill, they work out the tip for you at 10, 15, 20%.
Then, it was back to the hotel & we continue our trip the next day to Portland, Oregon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Wow! What a detailed account of your trip! I’m sure those who will use the BoltBus to travel to Seattle really appreciated your information. I’m glad you enjoyed our hotel, in the historic Alaskan Building built in 1904. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We quite liked this hotel for the location, appeal and staff. The building itself is beautiful and nicely incorporates its history with modern decor and functionality. The location was great, provided for a short walk into the downtown core for shopping, sight seeing and general restaurants. There are places to eat very close by but we just found ourselves in the main downtown area at meal times. Easy walk to the Pier as well for food and beautiful scenery. Conveniently located across the street is a Starbucks, would expect nothing less in Seattle. If you don't want to leave the hotel the bistro offers coffee and lattes as well.

The room was very comfortable, clean and well equipped. Cannot say enough about windows that open...thank you Courtyard Seattle/Pioneer Square!! Much appreciated having fresh air even in December. Also nice was having a mini refrigerator for our food and drink. We could hear other doors opening and closing but we did not hear other guests. Had it not been for the sound of doors we would have thought we were the only guests on that floor. Excellent staff service from valets to front desk staff.

As noted in previous posts there is a homeless population in the surrounding area however we had no trouble from anyone.

Would recommend this hotel and will certainly return for future Seattle trips.

1  Thank MyCation
Laura S, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your positive review! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems like you were able to enjoy the Seattle area as well! We are in a great location to explore the city. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Nice location and the room itself was fine. Everything was satisfactory until we were disturbed on Sunday evening about extra charges to our room that were not ours... a car ($28/day valet parking) and alcohol from the restaurant were mistakenly charged to our room. We are young but responsible guests. When we disputed the charges the front desk staff were rude and condescending, and down right insulting as they acted as if they were doing us a favour for removing the charges--which weren't ours in the first place! Terrible customer service. Would not pay to deal with that hassle again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank nicole m
Laura S, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for the comments from your stay with us. Although I am happy that you enjoyed your room and location and am very sorry that you did not experience the customer service you should have. I have already brought your review to my Front Desk staff and will make sure this does not happen again. Please know that what happened to you is not a normal occurrence here and I hope you consider staying with us again. I assure you of a better experience.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Came here for a romantic overnight stay. Excellent service. Very nice clean, quiet room. Location is great...walking distance to everything we wanted to see. Had delicious light snack in the lounge. If you go, take time to look around the hotel. It is a heritage building and is full of history. All in all, found the experience thoroughly enjoyable. Will be back, and will recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review of our hotel! I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned, we are located in a historic building - the Alaskan Building built in 1904. I believe the best part of the building is the marble staircase which goes all the way up to the 15th floor! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have stayed here a couple times and would highly recommend this hotel to others traveling to Seattle. The downtown location is great, close to the market, shopping and safeco field. The valet and staff are always friendly. The rooms are big, bright and clean with large windows to urban views. The beds are comfortable and the linens are soft. The food in the resturant was good. See if you can get a corner room (there are a lot of them given the odd building shape). There are some great views to be had on higher floors. The only downside is the lack of parking options beyond the expensive valet. You can park in an open lot for less money, but it gets a little more sketchy south and east of this location.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get the advantage of two sets of large windows for even more light and bett...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hypurv

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Although our Valet parking might seem expensive ($28 + tax a day), with it you get access to your car 24 hours and unlimited in and out privileges. There are other parking lots in the area that can be cheaper but some are not open 24 hours. As well, on Sundays there is free street parking. We hope you stay with us again on your next Seattle visit!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had a quick stay in Seattle and ended up getting booked here by someone else. What a pleasant surprise! First off, the location is perfect....I took the light rail from the airport for $3 and it dropped me off around the corner from the hotel! Walkable to just about everything, but the real treat was when I had an hour of free time I was able to walk up to Pike Place Market and along the waterfront.

Check in/out was less than 3 min each. Comfortable bed, great view of Puget Sound. Love having a mini-fridge that I can stock myself. Didn't try the restaurant as there is so much right outside the door. Only thing (which was minor) was that the elevators were a bit slow. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank EuroBish
Laura S, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! As you mentioned, we are in a great location to explore the city. We hope to see you soon!