“Very nice place, good location”

Hyatt Place Seattle/Downtown
Ranked #36 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I stayed here for two nights back in August and was quite pleased. I find Hyatt Places to be a bit of a gamble, but had difficulty getting a hotel where I wanted to stay. It included breakfast and had a light cafe for ordering snacks and basic cocktails/beer/wine. You could clearly see it was new and had a convenient drug store right across the street. I'd recommend it for families (though I was there for business) because of the proximity to the parks and Space Needle.

Readlly didn't have issues. Couldn't take advantage of the complementary shuttle because it was packed and didn't realize there was one until I left the hotel in search of a cab.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here prior to a Carnival Cruise. We wanted to stay close to the Space Needle, and at least one side of the hotel has a great view of the Space Needle from the upper floors.

THE GOOD:
-The hotel is relatively new, so everything is in tip top shape. The lobby and room were exceptionally clean and well put together.
-The rooms are large, when compared to others. While technically not suites, they are set up in a "suite-ish" sort of way, with a partial divider separating the bed from the rest of the room (which contained couches and coffee table.
-Hotel management was very good and very responsive. We had a slight snafu during check-in, but the front desk was very apologetic and made things right (obviously, it would've been better had the hotel not screwed up, but they quickly realized their error and went about fixing it).
-Good (new) TV system that has tons of open ports to plug in your iPhone, computer, or what not (if you have the right connector - the hotel might have some for use or rent... I never asked).

THE SO-SO:
The hotel doesn't have a soul. It's very utilitarian; there is no ambiance, other than having a nice clean place. The room decor isn't ultra-modern, classical, themed, or anything, really. Rather, it's just... nice and clean.

THE BAD:
The hotel is kind of out on its own in an area just southeast of the Space Needle complex. It's a short walk to a pretty good Thai restaurant (nothing fancy, more of a lunch place, really), but there's not much in the immediate vicinity. It's a little bit longer of a walk into the downtown area where you have more options. The shuttle does have an at-will shuttle that will take you anywhere you want within a mile, so that might help in that area (we didn't use it).

Room Tip: When making a reservation, ask for a room that has a view of the space needle (probably helps to joi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HyattPlaceSEA, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Seattle/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you so much for your review! We always appreciate when someone takes the time to write about their stay, and give us both positive and negative feedback. One thing we really enjoy hearing is that the staff is responsive! I'm sorry that you weren't completely satisfied with our location, and we always hate to hear that. We are within walking distance of the new Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Amazon, Belltown, and Seattle Center (Pacific Science Center, EMP, Space Needle), however, we have the shuttle you mentioned and also Seattle Monorail tickets available for transfer into the downtown shopping district. If you ever return, please let us know and we can provide several different options for dining and transportation. Thanks again!

Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is a hotel that tries to be "hip" but doesn't succeed I'm afraid. The location isn't that great, it's near the Space Needle and EMP, which is why I stayed there but there aren't as many restaurants and shops nearby as I thought there would be (a McDonald's, a Subway in the KOMO building, few other small cafés). The room I had was better than average, however the mattress was on the thin side, and there is no microwave in the room which I thought was an oversight, instead you have to pay $9.90 for a sandwich in the lobby. The internet connection was fast but for some strange reason I kept having SMTP problems, port 25 blocked somewhere? I tried various SMTP services, I ended up using webmail. Also kept requiring me to log on every time I turned on my computer, which was annoying. By far the biggest problem I had though was the fire alarm going off at 6am in the morning. That was bad enough, but after the fire dept. showed up, it went off again 20 minutes later which indicates (a) bad maintenance and (b) poor training on the part of the staff. Also you're right next to Hwy 99, which is a busy road, it wasn't too bad though - stay on a high floor.

Room Tip: High floor, due to the road noise outside.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank CS6
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Spent 3 nites here precruise to Alaska. Location is good, central to many restaruants and siteseeing. Staff was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the breakfast. Roomy space. Easy transportation to pier.

Didn't have time to really scope out the area but the one negative may be the location. Although handy, area seemed a bit rough, although that may be Seattle-lots of folks spendning the nite on the streets here. Used the complimentary hotel transportation for off-hour rides nearby, which helped. Next time I might choose a location out of this commercial district but this worked out well for this trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The hotel is brand new, with large rooms (more like mini-suites), super clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We were here on "Comic Con" weekend, so it was packed (as was the whole city), but the kitchen/continental breakfast thing worked out great. The ONLY drawback to this hotel is it's location, which is outside the city core. They offer a shuttle bus that will take you within a mile radius of the hotel, which helped with getting around. Mostly, we just walked everywhere - a little far but a good way to explore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel so you can get a view of the Space Needle, rather than the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Great hotel with superb rooms (our room was of a much higher quality than other hotels of a similar rating). Only a 10 minute walk from downtown. Will definitely stay again when back in Seattle

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for such a kind review!

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I have never stayed in as bad a hotel as this one. Allow me to explain what happened. I traveled there for a vacation on points with the Gold Membership. I got said membership and points due to another issue with another Hyatt due to bad service. So I figured that since I had enough points to get the room, that it would pretty much be all taken care of. When I arrived, I was told that I couldn't check in to my 2 night stay without a credit card. Umm.. Ok. I never had to produce one before in the 20 or so years I've been going to hotels. I just ask them to turn off amenities to the room and be done with it. I get the staff members assurance that only $50 will be held. So I say ok. I'm then informed that parking is $15 per night. So that's $30. My partner went down and swiped the card for food. They said it didn't go through, but it did. So we are up to $50 now spent and $130 being held (That's right. They not only did a charge, but held the same amount). I then find out at checkout that $64 was then held on my account as the final bill. So right now, I have $244 and some change being held by the hotel. This has caused overdraft fees being applied to the account. What? I added an extra $50? I forgot to tell you. They hold $50 a night. When I checked out, I complained about the extra charges in food (being held against my account, but yet being part of the $64). The manager comes over and I think I'm finally going to get this cleared up. He rudely tells me that he needs to talk to me over to the side (talking to me like I stole something). We talk and not a word about how messed up this is. He said that since I had the points, I MUST know their policies and how they were bending over backwards for me. Yeah. Right. As of 2 days later, with 4 overdraft fees of $35 each, I now have paid (for a "free room") $204 and a total of $384 still being held. Thanks Hyatt. I wasn't a snob at all when it came to hotels. I can understand when things mess up. But to be treated so rudely by the manager and causing so much chaos with my account that I have now swore off hyatt hotels for good. I will NEVER stay in another one so long as I live. On another note, the room was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Joseph B

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. We take every compliment and complaint very seriously. I would like to address the amount held on your card and also the fees attached. It is customary for every hotel to hold charges for incidentals, and credit cards (or debit cards) are requested from hotels throughout the US, regardless of a prepaid stay, point redemption, etc. This is to protect the hotel from damages and also to ensure the guest has enough to cover any incidental charges incurred. When a hotel holds a $50 charge on your account, it does so only until check out, at that time any excess charges are released, and any overages are charged. If there are still charges being held on your card, it is because your bank has not released them and unless contacted, this can continue for up to 10 days. While this is inconvenient, the hotel is not responsible for pending charges held by the bank. We are truly sorry for the misunderstanding and hope that you will give Hyatt hotels another opportunity. Again, thank you for taking the time to write the review.