“Excellent hotel - really cannot fault it!”

Hyatt Place Seattle/Downtown
Ranked #29 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
West Lothian, Scotland
“Excellent hotel - really cannot fault it!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here for just over two weeks in February for a business trip and can highly recommend this hotel! First off the room... Very large and spacious with separate "lounge" area, bedroom area (with huge and comfortable bed) and well proportioned shower room (with powerful, hot shower). I had a view out towards the Space Needle which was cool.

In addition the wifi in the room was excellent - 100% reliable connection and very usable download speeds. Have almost never had fast in-room wifi in any hotel before, regardless of star rating. Staying on the "gadget" theme the TV setup was excellent, good sized TV with a separate input panel (HDMI, VGA, audio, etc) into which I could plug my tablet to stream music and watch TV/movies I had offlined. So don't forget to bring your video/audio leads :)

Food-wise the hotel suited my needs perfectly. Breakfasts were buffet style (which I much prefer to "posher" hotels with table service, I simply don't want that in the mornings!) with a good selection of cereals, toast, fruit, pastries, hot food (including delicious topped bagels) and decent tea/coffee. Perfect. In the evenings when I wasn't heading out there was a small selection of deli-style food that could be collected from reception (the chill soup + salad combo is to be recommended). Shame there was no actual room service but it didn't really matter much as you could phone ahead to place the order.

Other facilities would normally be great. Sadly the pool was having maintenance at the time I was there so was shut for my whole two week stay. However it looked decent size and great that they were actively refurbishing it, so I won't knock the place for my unfortunate timing. The gym was small but quiet and had the basic (runner, rower, bench with lighter weights). Fine for a quick workout, and of course normally you'd have the pool as well. The machines mostly had TV screens as well which always makes the workouts less painful!

There was also a laundry on the top floor which was great for my extended stay - could return home with mostly clean/dry kit. They sell single use washing powder packets and give you the change you need at reception. Think it was $3 in total for powder, washer and dryer. Fantastic to have this option for a longer stay.

Location-wise I thought it was very well situated. Just a couple of blocks from the Science Centre and Space Needle, and a relatively short stroll to get to the bars and restaurants of downtown and Pike Place, or the lively theatre district in the other direction. I went for a run a couple of times from the hotel (before it got too cold). Quick jog down to Myrtle Edwards Park where there's a great running/cycling route away from traffic all the way up the waterfront. Great for a quick 5K to 10K blast. Also plenty of really decent restaurants just a few blocks from the hotel (eg Petra and Tilikum Place Cafe), a very handy Budget/Avis car hire location 2 blocks away, Walgreens right opposite the main entrance and a late night petrol station just around the corner (also handy for refilling the hire car just before returning it).

Procedurally they did very well. Both check-in and check-out were completely painless. Also they have an arrangement with a car hire company that can get you from/to the airport much cheaper than a standard taxi service. Ask them about the service for more info. Wish I'd known this beforehand on arrival instead of paying a fortune in a normal taxi and being driven to the wrong Hyatt hotel first (which made it even more expensive).

So what wasn't to like? Well not much really. If I was being really picky I'd say they need to use better light bulbs in the shower room. The energy saving bulb in there really wasn't sufficient and the room always felt dark and a bit gloomy. The shower room could also have done with more towel/kit hanging facilities as well (eg for hanging sports kit or other damp items). The range of evening food was pretty limited and basic, but with such good eating facilities close by (including the ever-amazing Whole Foods a short stroll away) it didn't matter much. Otherwise really can't fault the place.

Would highly recommend this hotel - I actually preferred staying here to the posher-looking Pan Pacific where I stayed previously for a work trip. Not quite as posh décor (I did enjoy the "bath looking out over the city" in the Pan!), but better internet/TV connectivity the great buffet breakfast, and in my view better location would definitely make me return to this hotel in preference to Pan Pacific, which is also a fair bit more expensive. Would recommend this hotel both for business and pleasure trips.

Room Tip: The higher up the better I reckon. Think I was on the 6th floor which was nice and quiet with a dece...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank tike1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel was a great find! The front desk staff did a wonderful job assisting us with any questions or requests we had, including directions, restaurant recommendations, and car reservations back to the airport. They were spot on every time. The rooms were very spacious and clean, although the bathrooms are a little small. We had one night of noise issues with the room next door but the front desk was very responsive. The Space Needle was only a few minute walk and if you have nice weather you can also walk to the Market. We were very pleased with our stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

It is cozy, still feels new, the breakfast selection is huge, and after we saw how big the room and sitting area were, we were so sorry to only stay one night. We booked from a third-party website and I'm used to getting stuck with a double bed (or queen at best) -- but it was a King, and it was fantastic. It has a mini-fridge (yay), and a Walgreens directly across the street.
My only issue with space was the bathroom -- the door almost makes contact with the toilet, and it was shower-only. Surprisingly tight squeeze.
Parking: a little tricky. Knowing the area, I'm used to parking in meter spaces for free overnight, but the entire length of two blocks out front allow NO overnight parking. So if you don't choose the garage, you'll need to get creative, especially on weekends or Key Arena event nights.
The location is excellent: Space-Needle-adjacent, but a flat ten-minute walk into downtown. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had a pleasant 2 night stay here earlier this month. Tara and her team made sure that me and my family were catered for. A 3 minute walk from the famous SPACE NEEDLE, an attraction not to be missed by all Seattle aficionados. An Awesome stay that has left me with lasting memories!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 7th, 8th or 9th floor away from the traffic noise. Our room was on the 8th floo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have decided to stay here for 3 nights stay after reading reviews about this property. We are so glad we did.

Check in - fast
Staff - kind and friendly
Elevator - must use your room key to operate
Breakfast service - great selections
Bed - VERY comfortable (ppl claim it's noisy but I hardly heard anything from outside)
TV - wish it was not the glossy panel kind. Otherwise it works :D
Internet - FREE! and it's pretty fast
Mini Fridge - store drinks and oyster shooters lol
Bathroom - Clean
Closet and drawers - Small closet space / there are 3 drawers only
Living space (couch) - comfortable and has blanket.
AC - works great but I had a hard time figuring out how to use it, so I let my BF figure it out.
Parking - underground and it's a bit tight space to park.
Forgot something? Walgreens is in front of the property!
Shuttle - Free within 1 mile radius (driver even dropped us off at the restaurant when we mentioned it. Thank you for the great service and feedbacks on foods)
iPhone station - NO iphone stations. Must bring your own charger.
Room Service - LOVED it! Wish there was a hand lotions

Will I stay here again? YES! YES! YES!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I'm a weekly customer at Hyatt Place Seattle, since I'm at work at 5 AM I'm always dealing with Joe the lead employee during 3rd shift. Joe has been fantastic in dealing with my request from billing issues to breakfast request. He's hands down the best Hyatt employee that's ever dealt with, from the US , Europe or Asia. Never met someone working 3rd shift and be so nice to demanding customer at 5 AM!! Never have I've seen Joe been inconsistent in his customer service delivery! He is the best!

Hotel over all is fantastic as well, the first shift ladies and gentlemen also have been fantastic!

Thanks
T Nguyen
Seasoned Diamond Member

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Roatan
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The Hyatt chain is a well kept secret (a secret from we country bumpkins, at least). I signed up for a Hyatt Visa card (1st yr free) and got 2 free nights anywhere in their system. Seattle hotels are spendy, so this seemed like a good use -- and it was, indeed! It's a nice new-ish hotel - looks exactly like all other Hyatt Place hotels we've stayed in. Never been disappointed! The breakfasts are awesome. Service is great. Rooms are SOOOO nice -- SO fresh -- So clean -- just lovely in every way. Just a nice touch of class.

Free shuttle within 1 mile - which gets you to Pike Place if you choose to not walk. A nice walk tho. Staff is so well trained -- very professional. Secure parking underground. Secure elevator access to floors. Nice!

The interesting thing about Hyatt Hotels is that some of their hotels (Boise, for instance) take as few as 5K points - and those are pretty easy to accumulate. Love em!

Room Tip: They are all great! Of course the higher you go, the better the view!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family