“Clean, quiet, convenient.”

Talaris Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
“Clean, quiet, convenient.”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Talaris is a clean, well-equipped, very cost effective property on a beautiful 18-acre campus. This conference center hotel is perfect for a business traveler, unless you are a literal or figurative prince or princess.

I had business in West Seattle, where hotel space is extremely limited. An associate lives near Laurelhurst by the UW campus. I had no need to stay downtown, nor could I find anything that didn’t look immediately questionable for under $300 per night. Talaris had good reviews, and it was under $150 so I booked and decided to car pool with him across the city.

The staff was always very friendly. The room was slightly out of date, but VERY clean. I am picky about gross rooms, missed vacuum spots, questionable bedding, etc. Talaris had none of that. The continental breakfast was appropriate. Realistically, this is a very clean 2-star hotel. I gave them 5-stars because they did it right, all-around, and I intend to stay here next time I visit our office.

The campus reminds me of a high-end summer camp, kind of on a hill with a handful of numbered buildings, each with 6-8 rooms. I did not use the conference center rooms at all, but there does appear to be some large meeting spaces. The buildings surround a few ponds, there are giant trees on site, and a big grassy lawn. One morning I walked 5 minutes and cut through a nature trail to the UW campus, where the new track was open so I took a few laps. In the evening, I walked 20 yards just past the Talaris entrance to a string of restaurants and shops. Talaris negotiated day passes with a gym that is right next door as well. I did not have a car, and did not have any problems getting what I needed due to the location of nearby businesses.

My only hesitation with giving a five-star review is 100% selfish. I don’t want others to know the secret and bomb this place, because I’m coming back and I want to pay the same rates.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear guest-

Thank you so much for your over-the-top review of Talaris!

We love the "high end summer camp"--I think that's going to be our next Marketing strategy!

Thanks so much for being our guest and being so complimentary to the team here. It is very much appreciated!

Alan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Washington
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Both of my children graduated from UW, but I never knew this place existed!. It is a great alternative to the expense, parking challenges, and congestion of staying downtown. And you can be in the heart of south Lake Union in 10 minutes (traffic dependent, of course) via 45th St to Roosevelt Way to Eastlake Ave.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. 10+ acres of typical northwest parklike surroundings with a beautiful lawn, huge mature trees, pond, fountain, and picnic tables. Checkin was a little difficult to find, but spotted it at the main conference building on the second drive-round. The concierge, Bob was very welcoming. My room was small but vaulted ceiling made it fee spacious. Nicely updated and decorated. No frills, yet very nice and comfortable. Spotlessly clean, comfy bed, nice linens, brand-new shower curtain, Keurig coffee maker. The rooms could use a little more light for those dreary northwest winter/spring days; maybe putting higher wattage florescent bulbs in the fixtures would help. The continental breakfast was basic, but had a good variety of selections. Served in the lovely dining room with large picture windows overlooking the pond and fountain.

The location is across the street from Children's Hospital and within walking distance of some nice restaurants. I will definately stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Guest-

Thank you so much for your kind review! I am glad you enjoyed the park-like setting, picnic tables, and relaxing by the ponds at breakfast.

Thank you for your feedback as well--we appreciate it as it only helps us improve.

Looking forward to your return.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My company is business partners with the children's hospital and many of my trips to Seattle I've just stayed in the city. I was informed about the Talaris by a staff member at the hospital and won't stay anywhere else when in town. After working all day and being able to come back to their beautiful campus with no hassle parking, delightful staff, and all the sounds and sights of nature helped me unwind so quickly. A walk around their serene grounds and I almost forgot I was there on business. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear guest-

I'm so glad you enjoyed your retreat in the city!

Even if you've had a hard day, a walk around our 18 acres of paradise can set your mind at ease...

We look forward to having you back--thanks so much for your kind words on our property and our team!

Oregon
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Stopped here for one night and highly recommend it as a wonderful alternative to an expensive downtown Seattle hotel room + $45 parking rate. The Talaris Conference Center is hidden in a residential neighborhood, near UW and Childrens Hospital. It's an oasis of calm with lovely grounds and walking paths. The Concierge, Bob, set the tone, with his warm smile and welcoming words when we checked-in. It's a Conference Center, so if you don't expect large rooms and big hotel amenities, you will be happy here. Our room was very comfortable and clean. Parking is free and the buffet breakfast a nice bonus, served in a lovely dining hall. There's even a Keurig coffeemaker in your room. The price is extremely reasonable for the quality. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful. I'd be happy to return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ORsightseer
Seattle
Reviewed 7 March 2013

For a budget motel this place can not be beat. Bed was very comfortable. I prefer a stronger shower. The rain style shower had reasonable pressure. Refrigerator in room was good to have. They could have used a better mirror for putting on make-up, but this is Seattle after all and how many people wear make-up? The grounds are gorgeous and very low keyed, Northwest style definitely.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear guest-

Thank you so much for being our guest and giving us such useful feedback. I am so glad that you found great value in our property--we welcome you back anytime!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Being close to the UW Medical Center, we often schedule this location for our conferences. The Operations Manger is always hands on, and really goes the extra mile to accommadate our every request. It's scenic outside, and tastefuly decorated inside as well. The staff are always attention and really pay attention to detail.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Guest-

Thank you very much for your kind words about our team and our property. I am so glad to hear that we took good care of you while you were with us. Please come again!

Long Beach Peninsula, Washington
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Great location, close to UW Medical Center, shopping, restaurants. Location is quiet and calming. Staff was very helpful and kind. The grounds are great for taking our terrier pup on walks. We've stayed there twice. Will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Dear guest-

Thank you for being our guest and taking advantage of all that Talaris has to offer. I am so glad that our motto of "minutes from the city, miles from distraction" made your stay so great.

We look forward to having you and your puppy back with us again!