“Fancy dorm room”

Talaris Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 27 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Decent location/price. North of Seattle near the unversity and some residential areas. The room itself looks like an upgraded dorm room, the furniture is dated although appreciated having 2 large chairs, instead of only 1 like many rooms. The grounds were very nice, breakfast was a really well done. Lots of choices and dining in a separate building overlooking the pond. Not a lot of nearby restaurants but a few a short walk away. Housekeeping was lacking. They essentially made the bed-barely and took the dirty towels. Didn't replace towels we left on the floor, didn't replace water glasses (but did replace coffee cups/coffee). Had a decent view of a wooded area. Overall, o.k. hotel/location/price, probably a great choice if your destination is the univeristy but we would have preferred something closer to Seattle, restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Barbara R, General Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hi Midwest25,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize, as this is not the way we typically take care of our guests. We have discussed this topic with the team. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern.

I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Well... this hotel is definitely not your generic chain Holiday Inn. This is an odd duck in the hotel world which explains why reviews from travelers are all over the place - some love it, some hate it.

Formerly the Seattle campus of the Batelle foundation (think tank), the various buildings sit on expansive park-like rolling land with a pond with a fountain in the middle, located in a northern suburb of Seattle. Very very serene. Since we were 3 people we were upgraded to a suite, which besides the bedroom had a full kitchen with a Keurig coffee machine, a washer/dryer, and a large sunken living room complete with a fireplace an a balcony. Very very nice.

The not so good news is the property is dated, it even has an old house smell to it. We even discovered a tube TV in the living room (there was a modern flat TV in the bedroom though.) The A/C unit outside was noisy, forcing us to keep the window closed to sleep. The bedroom had a door but no door knob on the inside so no way to close it really. The breakfast room overlooks the pond, so you enjoy a great view while consuming a so-so included breakfast.

To summarize, if you want something quirky off the beaten track, literally and figuratively speaking, then go for it. We would stay there again.

PS: our GPS had trouble locating this hotel which the reception clerk said happens a lot. But we alerted them we would be coming in after their normal check in hours and someone was waiting for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Grounds were rolling, parklike and pleasant. Exterior of buildings and walkways were fine, if not perfectly kept up to date. Room, especially it's colors, was very nice.

It's great -- unless you are rich and fussy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The staff at Talaris Conference Center is above all other places I have stayed. They were extremely friendly, inviting, and helpful in offering suggestions on where to eat and things to do around the center. The continental breakfast was the best I have had while staying at similarly priced hotels, with white table cloths and fine dining experience while looking out at a gorgeous pond and outdoor setting. The grounds are serene and peaceful, giving the feeling of being in the woods on a retreat, only the location is in hub of Seattle, within walking distance to the University of Washington. I highly recommend Talaris Conference Center if you want a good, peaceful night's sleep!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Seattle travelers seeking relief from the concrete jungle can find it here, just east of the University and handy to University Village. Their operation is a B&B with a delightful dining room
over looking their forest pond. Restaurants and bus stops are within walking distance. This used to be headquarters for an elite think tank, and it shows! We had a delightful stay this spring 2014, with our 16 year old grand niece from Switzerland, who greatly appreciated the more European atmosphere. 4000 NE 41st St., Seattle 98105 Talarisconferencecenter.com

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool or play equipment for kids, however kids also may appreciate the sylvan se...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric B
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed overnight at Talaris before a day of meetings. I flew in late after work and didn't arrive until after 10 pm. The clerk was waiting for me and was very nice. When he realized I hadn't had any dinner he gave me yogurt and fruit from the breakfast bar. The room was small, nicely furnished and clean. The most impressive part was the silence and complete darkness when sleeping. I couldn't believe I was in Seattle and it was so peaceful. In the morning the breakfast was much more then your typical of fruit and Danishes. And then I saw the grounds, like an oasis in the city. Beautiful, lush and green. The every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful. I wish I could have stayed just to enjoy the grounds but had to fly home much too soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This very quiet area of Seattle. It was great for a business trip in the area. I wanted a relaxing (big) room with a nice running trail and places to walk to. Overall I couldn't be happier with my stay. There is nothing fancy about it but for the price, it exceeded my expectation.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on a long hallway, and some rooms cabin style with your front door leading directly o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business