“Amazing B & B Experience”
Review of 9 Cranes Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
9 Cranes Inn
Ranked #4 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Amazing B & B Experience”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Travelling alone and intent on some time for myself to walk, explore, and write, I enjoyed a four-night stay in September at the 9 Cranes Inn. As a frequent traveler to bed and breakfasts, I expected excellence based on my research of other reviews. This beautiful B and B in the Phinney Ridge area did not disappoint! Shelley Goulding is a likeable, efficient, gracious, and thoughtful hostess – and my wonderful experience started with her accomodating an easy late check-in, due to an evening flight. My room – the Ballard View – was astounding. I loved the large comfortable bed with beautiful bedding, and this writer appreciated the lap desk in the room. The tasteful light blue décor was serene and welcoming. I quickly unpacked and hung clothes in the walk-in closet, and discovered the true perk of this room: the remarkable ensuite bathroom. A double Jacuzzi tub with a skylight over it was enjoyed at least once daily during my stay! The separate shower was second to none. The large-screen TV was also appreciated (as was the clear directions for its use, as I am remote-control-challenged.) During the daytime, I thoroughly appreciated the large deck (with both table for writing, and lounge chairs for reading) accessible to my room only. It offered wonderful privacy, and breathtaking views of the beautiful treed area.

The inn itself is the product of thoughtful remodelling. When you walk in to the 9 Cranes Inn, you truly feel as if you’ve come to the home of a friend. Shelley’s touches do not go unnoticed: the readiness of local sight-seeing information as well as diversional novels, the guest lounge fridge stocked with soft drinks and bottled water, the “help-yourself” tea station, bath salts for the jacuzzi, the glass jar of “to go” treats for guests to take out for a nibble during the day.
Breakfasts at the 9 Cranes Inn are simple sensory decadence. Shelley is a conscious planner, and I witnessed her accomodating many guests’ likes, dislikes, and allergies. Each day began with a 2-course breakfast, complete with juice and welcomed Seattle coffee. Shelley serves a savoury (ie. bisque, quiche) breakfast one day, and a sweet (strawberry french toast, sky-high baked pancakes) the next. Her unique approach was divine: I will surely be trying to mimick the grilled nectarine at home! The large dining room table accomodates wonderful conversation between guests, and Shelley quietly orchestrates the connections between dialogue.

The location of the 9 Cranes Inn is superb. I enjoyed lots of exploring on foot: the Phinney Ridge area is full of shops made for browsing. (It’s a 7 minute walk to the nearest Starbucks!) Green Lake Park is a few blocks away, and is a popular site for the fitness walker and the casual stroller alike. Although I didn’t take it in, the Zoo is only blocks away from the Inn. It is also a quick 30-minute direct bus ride to the popular Pike Place Market.

As I was out for only a few hours each day, I spent a great deal of time in my room. The house is quiet, and I felt instantly at home. I would have liked to have seen “Phillip”, the shih-tzu more, but only encountered the little pooch twice. I was able to relax, write, and thoroughly enjoy Seattle due to my superb stay at the 9 Cranes Inn. Will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Beaufort, SC
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This B&B is no more than 15 mins from downtown attractions such as pikes Market, Pioneer Square, etc., and well worth the trip. Tucked in a residential part of Ballard, one of Seattle's neighborhoods, 9 Cranes is worth seeking out. Shelley, the innkeeper, has furnished all four rooms in varying decors. The house is basically a neat 1915 vintage Craftsman style, and the workmanship of that era is on display in the living room and dining area. The guest rooms, however, are updated with great modern furnishings and bathrooms. Shelley's breakfasts are enjoyable as well.

Room Tip: If you reserve early enough ask for the 3d floor bedroom. Trust me, its worth it as there is a larg...
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The only expectation I had for this bnb stay was to be comfortable. My husband and I were very pleased. Shelley is a very friendly and gracious host answering my husband's many questions and giving us advice on the best ways to travel by car. We did not have a gps for our maneuvers. We stayed on the first floor. Everything was spotless and comfortable. The breakfasts were very awesome. I am a gluten free vegetarian and Shelley prepared better food than I am even accustomed to finding out in the world. From what I could see Shelley accommodated everyone's wants and needs. I definitely recommend this place to anybody wanting to stay in Seattle. Thank you Shelley!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here while touring around Seattle for 4 days, 3 nights. The house is beautifully kept with all the amenities you could hope for: including the basics (hairdrier, soap, conditioner, shampoo, comfortable sheets, towels, etc) and even including things like bath salts, chocolates and bathrobes. Breakfast every morning is different, but they are all delicious. Shelley is also around frequently and has plenty of ideas to help with your travel needs in both Seattle and the surrounding areas. We had a rental car and there was always parking (free) and it's a safe neighborhood to be wandering in, even if you are walking. There are bus routes nearby, and Shelley knows the schedule, but a car was the easiest way for us to get around. We loved it so much, we didn't want to leave. My boyfriend and I have never slept so well in our life. If we are ever back in the area, we'll absolutely be visiting again.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Ballard room. It was great! Beautiful room, great innkeeper...I wouldn't change a thing! Thank you Shelley!

The only downside was having to take the 5 bus to get in and out of town.

1 Thank MBB_MI
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Had a great one night stay at 9 Cranes Inn with my boyfriend. Shelley was very helpful and full of information. The house is adorable with a cute library full of books about activities to do in and around Seattle. Walked to Fremont to go to the Theo Chocolate Factory and also to Green Lake, the zoo and rose garden. I am allergic to gluten, dairy, and corn and Shelley made a wonderful breakfast that I could eat. We appreciated the great hospitality and highly recommend 9 Cranes Inn. Thank you Shelley!!!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were so lucky to have found the 9 Cranes Inn - a year ago now and we've been back three times. Quiet, comfortable, immaculately clean - decor that soothes the senses and makes you feel at home! Not a good time to start a diet as the homemade cookies and brownies for afternoon snacking and gourmet breakfast accommodating individual needs is too good to say no to. Shelley is the perfect hostess, knowledgeable about the area, with excellent recommendations. We are happy to live close enough to drive to Seattle and have an excuse to visit family and friends there so that we can stay...you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: The Phinney Ridge Room is our favorite, and has extra space if our son comes along!