“Lovely place to stay!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 9 Cranes Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
9 Cranes Inn
Ranked #4 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
California
“Lovely place to stay!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were planning to stay at Mount Rainiers Paradise lodge but thanks to the National crisis and park closures our reservation was cancelled. We had two more nights before heading back home from Seattle. We called the Greenlake guesthouse, they were full but advised this lovely B&B.
We were celebrating our #30 anniversary and this was a lovely suprise. It is in the Phinney Ridge area, nice location near Green lake, the zoo and plenty of local restaurants. But the best is the place itself-carefull restored and updated craftsman style home-immaculate and welcoming.
We were welcomed by the owner and her lovely housekeeper. We stayed in the Phinney ridge room that was amazing, very comfy king bed and sitting area with a fold out couch for folks travelling as a threesome. Lovely bathroom-everything was clean and welcoming!!! Highly recommend this place

Room Tip: Choose either the phinney ridge room or the room at the top for amazing views!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Convenient location, wonderful craftsman home in amazing condition. We stayed in the Ballard room which was a beautiful room, nice deck, spacious upgraded bath with jet tub and large separate shower. Spotless. So many nice touches...lap desk, make-up remover cloths, bath salts, reading material, large closet, nice TV, luxurious bedding. Wonderful gourmet breakfasts...spiced plums were amazing! Liz and Gary were gracious, informative, accommodating substitute inn-keepers, but we were a bit disappointed that we didn't get to meet Shelley as we felt we got to know her from her blogs. Also disappointed that we didn't see Phillip, their shih-tzu as my wife was missing our shih-tzu back in TX. The Ballard room was so great but do realize you need to walk up two flights of stairs, so if that is an issue ask for one of the other rooms. Also, bath is open to bedroom and the toilet area inside bath is only separated with a curtain. Not a problem for us, but might be for someone else.

Room Tip: Ballard is spacious and beautiful but up 2 flights.
9CranesInn, Owner at 9 Cranes Inn, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay in the Ballard View room. I, too, am sorry that I wasn't able to meet you -- It's always difficult to take a vacation knowing that you won't get to greet all of your guests. As you noted, however, Gary and Liz do a great job of giving me a break while keeping 9 Cranes Inn open to serve the many folks who want to visit Seattle year 'round.

Phillip the Shih Tzu is not allowed (per the health department) in the kitchen while we cook and serve breakfast, but he can do a command performance upon request at other times if he's not already hanging out on the main floor of the inn. I'm sure he would've loved to meet you, especially if a treat and a belly rub were involved.

There is one correction I'd like to make in your description of the Ballard View room. That bathroom does have walls and a pocket door that totally separates it from the bedroom area. True, a curtain separates the toilet from the rest of the spacious bathroom, but again, a solid door slides out of the wall to make the entire bath private.

Perhaps you'll be able to return one day to meet those of us you missed! Thanks again for staying at 9 Cranes Inn.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Travelling alone and intent on some time for myself to walk, explore, and write, I enjoyed a four-night stay in September at the 9 Cranes Inn. As a frequent traveler to bed and breakfasts, I expected excellence based on my research of other reviews. This beautiful B and B in the Phinney Ridge area did not disappoint! Shelley Goulding is a likeable, efficient, gracious, and thoughtful hostess – and my wonderful experience started with her accomodating an easy late check-in, due to an evening flight. My room – the Ballard View – was astounding. I loved the large comfortable bed with beautiful bedding, and this writer appreciated the lap desk in the room. The tasteful light blue décor was serene and welcoming. I quickly unpacked and hung clothes in the walk-in closet, and discovered the true perk of this room: the remarkable ensuite bathroom. A double Jacuzzi tub with a skylight over it was enjoyed at least once daily during my stay! The separate shower was second to none. The large-screen TV was also appreciated (as was the clear directions for its use, as I am remote-control-challenged.) During the daytime, I thoroughly appreciated the large deck (with both table for writing, and lounge chairs for reading) accessible to my room only. It offered wonderful privacy, and breathtaking views of the beautiful treed area.

The inn itself is the product of thoughtful remodelling. When you walk in to the 9 Cranes Inn, you truly feel as if you’ve come to the home of a friend. Shelley’s touches do not go unnoticed: the readiness of local sight-seeing information as well as diversional novels, the guest lounge fridge stocked with soft drinks and bottled water, the “help-yourself” tea station, bath salts for the jacuzzi, the glass jar of “to go” treats for guests to take out for a nibble during the day.
Breakfasts at the 9 Cranes Inn are simple sensory decadence. Shelley is a conscious planner, and I witnessed her accomodating many guests’ likes, dislikes, and allergies. Each day began with a 2-course breakfast, complete with juice and welcomed Seattle coffee. Shelley serves a savoury (ie. bisque, quiche) breakfast one day, and a sweet (strawberry french toast, sky-high baked pancakes) the next. Her unique approach was divine: I will surely be trying to mimick the grilled nectarine at home! The large dining room table accomodates wonderful conversation between guests, and Shelley quietly orchestrates the connections between dialogue.

The location of the 9 Cranes Inn is superb. I enjoyed lots of exploring on foot: the Phinney Ridge area is full of shops made for browsing. (It’s a 7 minute walk to the nearest Starbucks!) Green Lake Park is a few blocks away, and is a popular site for the fitness walker and the casual stroller alike. Although I didn’t take it in, the Zoo is only blocks away from the Inn. It is also a quick 30-minute direct bus ride to the popular Pike Place Market.

As I was out for only a few hours each day, I spent a great deal of time in my room. The house is quiet, and I felt instantly at home. I would have liked to have seen “Phillip”, the shih-tzu more, but only encountered the little pooch twice. I was able to relax, write, and thoroughly enjoy Seattle due to my superb stay at the 9 Cranes Inn. Will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Beaufort, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

This B&B is no more than 15 mins from downtown attractions such as pikes Market, Pioneer Square, etc., and well worth the trip. Tucked in a residential part of Ballard, one of Seattle's neighborhoods, 9 Cranes is worth seeking out. Shelley, the innkeeper, has furnished all four rooms in varying decors. The house is basically a neat 1915 vintage Craftsman style, and the workmanship of that era is on display in the living room and dining area. The guest rooms, however, are updated with great modern furnishings and bathrooms. Shelley's breakfasts are enjoyable as well.

Room Tip: If you reserve early enough ask for the 3d floor bedroom. Trust me, its worth it as there is a larg...
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

The only expectation I had for this bnb stay was to be comfortable. My husband and I were very pleased. Shelley is a very friendly and gracious host answering my husband's many questions and giving us advice on the best ways to travel by car. We did not have a gps for our maneuvers. We stayed on the first floor. Everything was spotless and comfortable. The breakfasts were very awesome. I am a gluten free vegetarian and Shelley prepared better food than I am even accustomed to finding out in the world. From what I could see Shelley accommodated everyone's wants and needs. I definitely recommend this place to anybody wanting to stay in Seattle. Thank you Shelley!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here while touring around Seattle for 4 days, 3 nights. The house is beautifully kept with all the amenities you could hope for: including the basics (hairdrier, soap, conditioner, shampoo, comfortable sheets, towels, etc) and even including things like bath salts, chocolates and bathrobes. Breakfast every morning is different, but they are all delicious. Shelley is also around frequently and has plenty of ideas to help with your travel needs in both Seattle and the surrounding areas. We had a rental car and there was always parking (free) and it's a safe neighborhood to be wandering in, even if you are walking. There are bus routes nearby, and Shelley knows the schedule, but a car was the easiest way for us to get around. We loved it so much, we didn't want to leave. My boyfriend and I have never slept so well in our life. If we are ever back in the area, we'll absolutely be visiting again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Ballard room. It was great! Beautiful room, great innkeeper...I wouldn't change a thing! Thank you Shelley!

The only downside was having to take the 5 bus to get in and out of town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple