“My Best Stay Anywhere, Ever”
Review of 9 Cranes Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
9 Cranes Inn
Ranked #3 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Jaco, Costa Rica
“My Best Stay Anywhere, Ever”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Disclosure: I am a friend of the proprietor.

My wife and I finally got to go to Seattle when 9 Cranes Inn had vacancies. We went there as part of an extended road trip across the US. I've known both the proprietor and her husband for years, and I had been looking forward to staying there to see what all the fuzz was about.

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels across the world, and a few B&Bs. My stays has ranged from cheap hostels to five-star hotels.

I am quite confident that 9 Cranes Inn was my most comfortable, friendly, and pleasant stay anywhere, ever. Shelley is a natural when it comes to hospitality; she really is an awesome host.

Staying at a B&B is nothing like staying at a hotel. It feels much more like staying at someone's house. This means you get a much more personal feeling compared to hotels where, despite the comfort, you always realize a certain distance between yourself and the hotel.

That personal connection may be a bit too close for some, and in some B&Bs, it feels like you're almost intruding when you get there. Shelley manages to make this personal connection work, though, but being just enough there to make you feel extremely welcome, but not so much that you feel you are intruding.

As for the house itself, it is an extremely well maintained place. Every detail is well thought out, from the European type toilets, to the rubber ducks in the hot tub, to the decor, to the immaculate common areas. I would like to live in a place that is as beautiful as this.

The location is great too, especially if you don't like the stress and noise of a downtown location. 9 Cranes Inn is located in a quiet area without traffic. However, it is still just a few minutes away from Ballard with its awesome restaurants. We stayed in the Ballard room, which had an amazing view on the clear days too.

If I were to point out a couple of minor details, I would have liked heating in the bathroom floors because it was a bit chilly at times (we were there in November). I would also have enjoyed a European style shower with a flexible shower head rather than the US style fixed ones, but again, these are minor and insignificant details.

Overall, I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: Ballard, if it is available. Just a bit more expensive than the others, but the view alone is worth...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Furuknap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have stayed in many places in Seattle over the past 15 years and this B&B is the best so far! The home is lovely, food great and Shelley is a great host! It is also very convenient to good restaurants and very near the zoo. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Fantastic B&B located in a quiet neighborhood in Phinney Ridge.

We’ve traveled to Seattle a couple of times to visit our daughter and typically stay near the University. This trip decided to stay closer to her at the 9Cranes Inn and couldn’t have been happier. The Inn is situated just off Phinney Avenue within easy walking distance of a number of restaurants and is only a short ride to downtown Seattle. The Innkeeper, Shelly, is a fabulous hostess and her breakfasts we’re fantastic. We felt at home the minute we checked in. The Inn is a craftsman style home updated with all the latest amenities and is spotless. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cencoast
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I never write reviews but I had to write one about 9 Cranes Inn. I found it online and am so glad I did! This B&B is just awesome! It's a Craftsman style house that is spotless, comfortable and and the decorating is very well done. Shelley is so hospitable and we felt right at home. The food was delicious! She helped us navigate transportation in Seattle and told us about the local shops and restaurants within walking distance. We loved her little Shih Tzu Phillip. I highly recommend 9 Cranes!

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We live in Seattle and had friends visiting from the east coast for 4 days. Since we only have a 1 bedroom apartment, we needed somewhere for them to stay. It was also important to us that they got a great first impression of Seattle. Thanks to 9 Cranes for providing a memorable stay.
Their room was modern, comfortable and offered all the amenities they expected including great wifi and a flat screen tv. They were able to enjoy breakfast early, which is great for east coasters on a time change. They especially liked the coffee offered 24/7 as they were up early.
The location was quiet, yet close to shops, restaurants and the zoo, all,located on Phinney Ridge. Our friend is a runner and Shelley provided some great options for running in the area. It was also an easy walk to the bus. This was great for us as we try to take public transportation whenever we can.
Our friends felt welcome and well cared for. Once they had a key, they were able to come and go as they pleased, but could always contact the innkeeper with questions.
We expect more visitors and look forward to choosing 9 Cranes again. So nice to know friends are well cared for. Thanks!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Fort Steilacoom, Washington
Reviewed 2 November 2013

What an exceptional find! From the moment we crossed the threshold, we felt welcome. I cannot recall more personalized attention. Even though we were the last to arrive for the evening, we were greeted warmly and provided a tour of this fantastic property. Our room was immaculate and beautifully appointed. We slept peacefully in a comfortable bed - a quiet respite in an established Seattle neighborhood. Our hostess was ready with dining and touring suggestions. A leisurely, delicious breakfast assured the start of an excellent day. Woodland Park Zoo is very close by, as is access to Aurora Avenue. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place to book. Do not miss this B&B!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My mother, my daughter and I have a tradition of taking a nice vacation together every two years. Last time we went to New England for the changing of the season in autumn, and this time we went to Seattle, Washington to visit the city and see Mt. Ranier National Park. Our very first "discovery" was this gem of a B&B in Seattle, 9 Cranes Inn. We were delighted with the inn from the very beginning, because it was so comfortable and clean. The decor in our rooms was so chic, I found myself making plans for a re-do of my own home. The beds were cozy and very comfortable, and the hospitality was warm and friendly. Each morning we were treated to a delicious gourmet breakfast with homemade sweeties and fresh fruits available on the kitchen bar 24/7. We enjoyed conversations with the other travellers, who were charmed by our southern "accent", while we were equally charmed by their Canadian "accent". If you're looking for the best B&B Seattle has to offer, look no further than 9 Cranes Inn. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The Inn is located in a quiet residential neighborhood very close to the local zoo with easy access...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family