“Worth the wait”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Two years ago when we first started planning our trip to Seattle, I encountered a Bon Appetite article about Seattle restaurants. This one caught my eye. I ripped out the article and have save it ever since. They don't take reservations, so expect a wait, but they accommodated a party of 6 in 45 minutes (drinks at a nearby bar while we waited). The food was amazing across the board. Personally, I was most pleased with the scallop carpaccio. I wanted about ten times as much, but was so filled with the other delicious foods that I will have to wait until my next trip. The wait staff was pleasant, polite, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'd read many good things about this restaurant, so it was on my short list of the many places I wanted to try on this short trip. Unfortunately no reservations, but we arrived and put our name on the list and were told it could be 1-1 1/2 hours. Ballard is crammed with drinking spots, so we headed to Chippy's in the same building (they did some nice cocktails!). We were pleasantly surprised to get a call just over an hour later that our table was ready. The staff our excellent and familiar with the menu and gave great recommendations. Oysters are a must here and did not disappoint, however, the entire menu needs to be tried. I can't say which was my favourite, as it was all good. All I can say is that the combination of ingredients is magical. Do yourself a favour and get down to the WATC! If I had to say one not so positive thing is that the wines on the menu were on the pricier side, so maybe adding a few more bargain wines would be good.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My cousin and I (we're Asian) arrived for dinner and told the hostess we would like a table for 3 and was waiting for my husband who would arrive in 10 minutes. She told us they have a policy of sitting parties that are complete and we would have to wait until everyone arrives. Okay fine--so we waited. Then, a white guy came in and told the hostess he's waiting for someone who would arrive in 10 min; the hostess promptly seated him...a few minutes later, a white woman came in with a similar story and was promptly seated as well. So we left.

I don't care how good their food is...not worth the discrimination

7  Thank Ada B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We loved this restaurant! Wonderful fresh food straight from the Pacific NW. The menu changes weekly (I believe) so you are getting what is good and fresh. The atmosphere is a mixture of French coastal cafe with Seattle urban vibe. The place is popular and you may have a wait but that's okay, the bar next door, The Barnalce, (but within the same building) is fabulous in of itself and the hostess from The Walrus and the Carpenter will come and get you there when your table is ready. Even though the place is bustling, the service was superb. The wine and cocktails were paired perfectly with our meal. Although I do have to say I enjoyed the wine selection at The Barnacle a little better.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Love this place. Go early. Gets crowded and parking a challenge but worth what ever you need to do to get there.