“Wonderful Stay at an Excellent Property”

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Ranked #7 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Wonderful Stay at an Excellent Property”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Wow - I just loved this hotel and room! I stayed in a room ending in -22, which was a lovely corner suite - seriously would be difficult to beat the stay I had! So, let's break it down:

The Room:
-STUNNING. Floor to ceiling windows with views of the city. Lovely bed, gorgeous bathroom with a really neat soaker tub with a waterfall faucet. The outer room was fantastic for working - very comfortable office chair and even a couch for relaxing.

What's really cool about this hotel is that while it seems new and renovated, if you look closely, it is what looks to be an amazing mix of new fixtures and original tile, etc. I love that if that is true, it is so much less wasteful, and yet still feels contemporary and well-kept.

The Front Desk/Phone Service:
Excellent - no complaints! Really great service from the front desk that was consistent and helpful. Great valets that were really 'on it'.

Maid Service:
Well, I only received service twice, and once was what I expected, but the second time was actually weird because I came in and while they had made the bed, the outer room looked like they hadn't touched it (messy papers on the table, backpack sitting out and messy..) - such a minor issue in the scheme of things, but worth mentioning..

Food:
Great! No complaints - had an *excellent* steak downstairs, but be prepared for your wallet to bleed - but filet mignon done properly and so beautiful,

The room was super-quiet too - I could work and sleep in peace. Really, one of my favourite stays in a hotel.

Location:
How can you beat this??? You can walk to the Monorail (to the Space Needle), Pike Place, shopping, great restaurants - you name it!

Those of you who are following my saga of picking a hotel chain to keep as my 'home hotels' know that this was the last chance for the Hyatt. So far, I've been an SPG member, and recently became a Hyatt preferred guest as well. That's enough info to at least compare these two chains for my home networks. I have to say that if all my Hyatt stays had been at the level of this one in Seattle, I would have chosen the Hyatt as my network hands-down. In fact, when I went into this experiment, I honestly went in expecting my decision to be the Hyatt after testing the Hyatt, Hilton and SPG. Unfortunately, 3 out of the 4 Hyatt hotels I stayed in (in major cities) were out of date, the service wasn't great, and it was disappointing. So, in the end? SPG wins hands down, although this hotel's service and class was enough to give me serious pause. Well done HGS!

Next up, for those following my hotel chain saga, the last chain to evaluate: the Hilton! So, the next reviews you will see from me will be from the Hilton chain!

Room Tip: suites are a great deal in this hotel. -22 suites are definitely worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 18 March 2014

First time staying at this Hyatt, and was not disappointed in the least.

Beautiful, grand lobby, lovely rooms, very helpful staff. Stunning bathrooms.

Location is perfect for wandering around downtown Seattle, close to Pike Place market and shopping.

We had only planned to stay one night, but ended up having to turn around halfway home due to a blizzard and a piece of luggage that was left in the room when we checked out earlier that day. We were able to book another night, and the staff was so kind and helpful in recovering our left luggage and getting us settled into a room for the second night.

Matt at the front desk was especially courteous.

Only a few very small complaints. The valet/bell staff offered to help with our bags, which wasn't necessary as we only had one carry-on size case each and a few shopping bags. But the two sets of doors into the lobby are not automatic, and there is no doorman and the bellman/valet didn't make any move to open them for us. So despite not needing any help carrying the bags in, we definitely could've used a hand with the doors. My husband and I went in separately, so twice we had to put all our bags down, open the big doors, move to the next door, put everything down, and open the next.

Also, which seemed really odd, in both the suites we stayed in, there was only one robe in the bathroom. It sounds silly, but I can't quite understand why there wouldn't automatically be two robes in a one-bedroom suite. We had to call down to housekeeping both times.

But all in all, we loved this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Very much looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here with the family over the weekend. Fantastic location for Seattle city center. 10-15 down to the Public Market. Starbucks attached. Nordstrom's and shopping mall across the street. Rooms are a little dated but very clean and nice. The spa and gym are good. No pool. Kids loved the arcade across the street. Service friendly and helpful. We got a chance to leave the car parked all weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lincolnwood, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here while on business. Convenient location- close to convention center and shopping (just two blocks to each). Very clean. Rooms are spacious. Nice comfortable lobby. Attentive staff. Fast service. SBUX on site is a bonus. Highly recommended!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Palmyra, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 14 March 2014

While the hotel is quite small with limited amenities on site, everything is close by. The rooms are spacious, neat and clean. Staff was very accommodating. Downfall, no bar, no hotel restaurant (although starbucks, sushi, steakhouse and café) are located off the lobby. A lobby bar would complete the hotel or restaurant. there is construction going on but they do disclose it at check in which was fine, 20th floor really was not to bothersome. Construction was on higher levels, not sure what is being built - hopefully a restaurant. In comparison to other Grand hyatt, this one was probably my least favorite since we typically stay at this chain for work. If you plan to visit spa, you will need to walk a black to the Olive 8 for pampering.

Madison, WI
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Got a great deal on this property through Priceline. It is clearly a 4.5*+ property.

I checked in relatively late but the valet was right there and for $37/night, I found the parking to be quite a deal in an urban setting. The lobby is gorgeous and check-in was prompt, good service all around.

My room was on the 20th floor and had a view of DT Seattle and the water. I loved it. There were electric blinds to shut out all of the city lights, plus it was very sound proof, so I slept quite well. The bed and pillows were very comfy. Plenty of good lighting all around. The bathroom was HUGE with an over-sized soaking tub that I really enjoyed and a glass shower. This is really a Ritz-Carlton level room, IMHO.

The fitness center is amazing. Huge with tons of cardio and resistance options. The hot tub and steam room were dreamy. Unfortunately the sauna was a bit chilly compared to the other two.

I had room service, Starbucks and meals at Ruth's Chris while onsite. They were all delicious. If you go to Ruth's after 9PM, you can get apps and drinks in the bar area for $5-6/ea, I spent $17 and was nicely full and had a cosmo (pre-tip). Can't beat that!

Overall a great stay. I can't recommend this property enough. Some places just do it right.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights on a visit to Seattle. The hotel is very close (2 or 3 blocks) from the Westlake station which is the end of the line for the tram from the airport. It's also great for Pike Market, main shopping area, and close to the monorail for Seattle Center and the Space Needle. The rooms are well appointed and we had a good view. Staff were friendly and helpful. There's a Starbucks, deli, sushi restaurant and Ruth's steakhouse accessible from the hotel if you don't want to go out in the rain!
Could do with a bar. Would def stay there again.

Stayed March 2014