“Great place for conferences”

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt for four nights to attend a conference and tour Seattle. Our room was large and comfortable. It had good features including a do not disturb light. Not the bothersome card hanging from a door that can get lost, changed, or caught in the door. We called for extra coffee and some other items and they were delivered to the room quickly. The counter people and bell hops were very courteous and helpful. The hotel is located adjacent to the Washington Conference Center and very convenient to shopping, restaurants, Pike Place Market and the Seattle Center. I had to spend time in the lobby after we checked out until my spouse was done with the conference. It was very comfortable and had outlets and free wifi for my computer.

Room Tip: Try to get higher floor for view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Seattle

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our rating is more: 3.75 "Trip Circles" than 4 for this super convenient hotel located in the middle of the downtown area. We were comfortable with expected Hyatt amenities in this large-sized hotel. Quaint & interesting city with some interesting sites, to-dos, and plenty of small dining spots...though the downtown area was quiet in the evenings. Let's move onto the hotel review:

The Good: With about a 35-40 min ride via the inexpensive Central Link Light Rail from SeaTac airport to the Westlake station downtown, you are about 1.5 short blocks from the hotel. In the area is shopping (basic chains and the famous Nordstroms which started in Seattle), some restaurants (though we suggest getting out of the area for more interesting dining options), 10 minute walk to the uber famous Pike Place Market, 2-3 blocks from the monorail that will take you to the Space Needle, EMP museum, Chihuly glass museum, and other attractions on the grounds (just one stop on the monorail... fun for kids), and easy reach to the piers (including small amusement park with ferris wheel) jutting out onto Puget Sound. Convention center is a block away, as well as many other hotels. We had a good sized room, plenty-huge, clean bathroom, and slept in a comfortable bed, with views down Pine Street to the Pike Place Market. We also had another room on different stay here, that had views of Space Needle. The rooms were basic, so do not expect full luxury, white-glove style hotel. In-room safe, prerequisite umbrella (for Seattle), robes, and small fridge fill out the fringes, along with standard toiletries. The concierge helped with some dining choices, though be specific of your limits or preferences. Ours tended toward suggesting hotel-related safe choices in the area, unless you pressed for something more uniquely local. For us still, the best thing of this hotel is its convenience to everywhere.

The Bad: Minor, but noted. The area in the evenings can feel deserted. Not an issue for walking around (safety or otherwise), but would have been nicer with some more souls in the area. The area gets quiet after rush-hour, and becomes strangely desolate. The hip areas are outside of downtown, and better options for dining outside of the hotel's sphere is suggested, so be adventurous...check with the concierge. For the hotel, some minor things, not deal-breakers, but noted here. The hotel has a definite 'coldness', 'corporate-y', 'identity-less' feel to it ... maybe just caters more to business clientele. As for our room, some crumbs on the carpet, daily newspaper was not delivered, even though during check-in they asked our preference, shower temperature was uneven sometimes, and TV was not best of HD quality. The check-in experience was a little cold, as there was no line, yet all (3) front-desk personnel were pounding away on the computer, not looking up when we entered. Again, not a big issue, but would be nicer with a warmer greeting. We hoped for a more 4-5 star feel, but didn't quite get there. Also, strange lobby, as you head to the elevators from the front desk, will walk past a giant tunnel-like hallway leading to many conference rooms for their conventions, etc.... made the hotel feel less warm and cozy, to say the least.

Summary: For a super convenient, comfortable, fairly by-the-numbers chain hotel, you cannot go wrong here. We wanted to feel some level of luxury from this one, but didn't get that "gee-wiz" delight factor of such. Don't get us wrong, it was fine for the basics and comfort. We did enjoy our stay in Seattle, and the hotel provided sufficient amenities and easy access to all that is this city. Would we recommend this hotel ?.... Yes, especially if you can get a good rate.

Happy "hotel-ing!"

Room Tip: Request a West facing, high floor for views of the Sound and Market
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Unbiased&FairAdvisor
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel was beautiful, clean and spacious. However, there was no hot water in the room. When I complained about this, the staff were apathetic. I would have been happy to give the hotel another shot if the staff had seemed to care about the issue. As it is, I'll be taking my money elsewhere next time I come to Seattle.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 25 April 2014

First, let me start with the positive. The staff, those I saw, were very pleasant and helpful. The room was spacious and comfortable. The view was nice. That's it as far compliments go.

The blame for this review cannot be shouldered by Hyatt alone. They have the misfortune of being in a city where it appears, little, if anything is done by the municipal government to clean the area of the human flotsam and jetsam. The hotel is surrounded by upscale restaurants and businesses I'm sure people on business in Seattle, and tourists, would flock to if it wasn't for the street urchins everywhere outside. In the morning I walked to the nearest McDonald's for a cup. Why I went there is another matter to be discussed. During my walk I was approached by panhandlers and others in need of psychiatric intervention. While inside I watched the thieves and drug dealers plying their trade. How do I know this person was a thief? He was wearing the shirt he just shoplifted with the price tag still attached and hanging out the back of his collar. This would have made for a good probable cause to stop and investigate, had there been any police on the streets. In this area, the city really needs to clean up it's act.

As for the Hyatt. The furniture in the lobby is badly in need of cleaning and/or replacement. The carpets in the lobby were filthy. A lot of this is due to the lack of security at the entrances to keep the riff-raff from squatting inside. I went to Starbucks, which is connected to the hotel and open to the lobby. I was greeted by a homeless man who had made the sofa inside his home for the night. He really did have a bottle of beer in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Not being able to get past the smell of him, I went elsewhere.

You might think a Hyatt hotel would have a place to go to for breakfast or lunch. This one doesn't. The only restaurants they have are a Ruths Chris steakhouse and a Sushi bar. One more thing. The odor of beef being charred permeates every inch of the first floor. This did nothing for my appetite.

One more thing. The parking situation. If you are currently searching for a hotel, you already know how much a room costs at this hotel. Parking on the street is non-existent. Therefore, you are forced to use their parking structure, at $30 a day. I believe, if you are staying at their hotel, paying their inflated prices, for what you get, then parking should be included or reduced.

I love Seattle. My son lives nearby. My wife and I will be going back but, not to the Grand Hyatt.

I've stayed in a number of Hyatts in other parts of the world. They were some of the finest hotels I have every stayed in. Why can't I experience the same in MY OWN COUNTRY?

I almost forgot. The steam room smelled like a boy's gym after football practice. No wait, it was worse.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Wish every hotel had the same blackout shades. I was able to take a nap in the middle of the day with no problems (very rare for me). The room was nice and the location is great, especially if attending a conference.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Grand Hyatt is an ideal location. I took the train from Sea Tac airport, $2.75, a 40 minute ride to the Westlake station, the last stop and just two blocks from the hotel. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance. The Pike Street Market is a 10 minute walk and worth the visit to watch the "flying fish" at the seafood stall. One fish monger tosses a fish across the stall where another fish monger catches it; great fun!

The hotel staff are friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Prior to my visit I called the hotel and talked to Stacy who advised me to take the train saving me the $40.00 cab ride or the $19.00 shuttle which makes several hotel stops. Senior citizens can ride the train 75 cents. The rooms in this property are elegant and spacious. A good bed affords a good nights sleep. Starbucks is located just off the lobby as is a deli. The room has a fridge to store orange juice, wine or anything else you may want to keep cold. You can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Graybeard38
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

It was just an overnoght, but the staff could not be more accommodating for a few needs I had. The room was very comfortable and quiet for a good night's sleep. Close to shopping and walking around the city as well.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo