“The Great Staff Can't Help This Tired Hotel”

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Ranked #7 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“The Great Staff Can't Help This Tired Hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

You can't trade on a great name and good location forever. The Grand Hyatt ain't so grand any more. Rooms are tired, finish on the once beautiful woodwork is scratched and the overall appearance needs help. We were in room 2503. The bed was well past its useful life, the couch and chair needed to go to the thrift shop. When we asked to have the water pressure in the bathroom sink increased beyond a dribble, the engineer wrote a polite note telling us that the hotel installed a flow restriction device as a "conservation" measure. Yes, at $300++ per night I expect enough water to rinse off my razor without having to fill the sink (great for conservation, not great for guest experience). Also, bring your own bath towel unless you are used to worn, torn, and forlorn!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey K
SeattleHyattHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Seattle, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. We always appreciate feedback that will help us grown and make beneficial adjustments. We have, very recently, been doing some updates with different amenities and items in the rooms; apologies if you experienced something that did not meet your expectations. We also want to fix any problem you might have as quickly as possible and have associates on property 24 hours a day to address the issues you discussed. We would welcome the chance for you to stay with us again and hope that your experience does not deter you from choosing Hyatt Hotels and Resorts in the future.

Best Regards,
Sarah S.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the 4th hotel in downtown Seattle at which I have stayed for conferences over the years. In location and quality it was much superior to the Westin, the Red Lion and the Hilton. But, in honesty, they may have been upgraded since I stayed in them so I can't do a 1 to 1 comparison.

The Hyatt is literally half a block from the Convention Center, and yet it is an easy 7-8 block walk to the Pike Place Market. Further, if you take the Central Link Light Rail to or from SEATAC airport, the 5th Ave & Pine exit of the Westlake Station is just over 1.5 blocks from the hotel.

Everything about the Grand Hyatt was First Class. The Standard King room was spacious and immaculate. The bed was very comfortable, and the climate control was quiet and easily adjusted. There is an in-room mini-fridge (not a minibar!), so getting some juice or other snacks at a nearby grocery is possible. For those with standard needs, can you imagine a full-up Starbucks right in the hotel? Otherwise, one would have to go at least half a block to get a fix...

The bathroom was fantastic. I've stayed in whole rooms that were not much bigger than this bathroom. It had a large (approximately 4 ft x 4 ft) walk-in shower and a separate lounging tub. Lighting throughout the room is great, but I especially like the dimmable light in the bathroom that could be set low enough to make the room not too bright for sleeping, but safe enough to see yourself around for the middle of the night potty call.

I also liked the safe in the closet. With the shelf removed, I could fit in both my laptop and my professional HD video camera, plus several other valuables.

WiFi was included for my stay. Best service I've encountered at any hotel anywhere. Once you used the provided password to login the first time, you never needed to do it again during the whole stay. Connection speed and downloads were extremely fast, with no dropouts.

Just to be realistic, all is not perfect at the Grand Hyatt.
1. There were several times that the elevator service was slow (although not the worst experience).
2. There is a strange wooden furniture piece in the room that could either be an uncomfortable seat or a baggage stand (I chose the latter, even though there was a conventional baggage stand in the closet). This was the only furnishing that showed any wear, with scratches and dings.
3. There were no open, accessible electrical outlets by the desk, so I couldn't plug my laptop in there. If I wanted to use it while on the charger, I had to plug it in to the outlet on the table lamp by the bed. That also meant I had no convenient place to plug my phone in overnight, and still have it near the bed, especially as I am used to sleeping on the side where there was no such lamp.
4. There is a neat blackout window shade controlled by a switch on the wall near the bed. Since Rm 1207 looked out over the roof of the Convention Center's Exhibition Hall, I had a beautiful view of a circular apartment building. I kept the shade in place much of the time, especially at night. If I could easily see what they had on their balconies, I wondered what they could see in return. I was probably being overly self-conscious.
5. Verizon wireless service was spotty in the room. I had several calls that were terminated by dropouts, depending on where I was in the room.

Finally, big kudos for Molly and Scott at the Concierge Desk. They arranged a great reservation, and then modified it twice, for a group dinner at Wild Ginger. We were even provided a free appetizer courtesy of the Hyatt (or so we were told...).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thatvideoguy
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Friendly helpful service is the theme at this hotel. From the moment we arrived until our departure every question or request was met with a smile and knowledgeable answers. They went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome and informed about the hotel services and area highlights. Room on the 14th floor was spacious and beautifully decorated with huge windows to view the city. Darkening blinds can be automatically lowered in addition to regular curtains. Bathroom with soaking tub and large shower is wonderful, and amenities are high quality. The only noise we heard during our stay was from the hallway, and was brief. Self parking was $30 but included in-and-out privileges, and was very convenient to reach through hotel elevators. (Parking at other hotels downtown runs $40+ per day) Valet service is available also and the service is impeccable even if you are just checking in. Starbucks in lobby great. We did not go to the hotel restaurant, Ruth Chris's. Many shops and restaurants are within walking distance as well as Pike Place Market. Easy drive to Seattle Center also.
Fitness center was great and open 24 hours. Rooms have coffee maker and mini refrigerator. NYC deli has great food, and though service is a little slow, it was worth the wait. Well worth the price paid for a luxurious stay in Seattle. This is how a hotel should be run!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of Puget sound, Elliott Bay, or Space Needle.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Seattle for two nights last week. The hotel is beautiful, rooms are large, staff is excellent, bathroom with soaking tub was awesome and great location near stores and restaurants. I would have given this hotel a 5 but we rented three rooms and two of them the noise from next door rooms was so loud. Doesnt seem sound proof at all. We could hear complete conversations and the tv clearly. So if you are looking for quiet you may want to reconsider. Other than that I would recommend. Like I said the hotel and staff were excellent just the amount of noise from other rooms was unsettling and made it hard to sleep.

Room Tip: Upper level floors have better views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Clean, modern, and close to the mall and Pike Market Place. In the middle of downtown. A little on the expensive side but worth the stay. Wish had a microwave but other than that it was a great stay!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
brandon, ms
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a great time during our week in Seattle and being able to come back each day to the Grand Hyatt made it even better. This hotel is beautiful and clean and the staff is extremely friendly. We chose a corner suite and when we walked into the room we knew we had made the right decision. While making the reservation I joined the Hyatt members program and therefore we were given a room on the 26th floor. Wow, what a view! In addition, my husband was celebrating a birthday during our stay and the Grand Hyatt sent a complimentary bottle of wine.

The location of this hotel is perfect. We took the light link rail from the airport and only had to walk a block or two with our luggage. Every morning, we visited Pike Place Market for breakfast and delicious fruit.

We had one issue during our stay. The corner suite is two rooms with a separate thermostat for each room. We did not know this the first night so the bedroom was a bit warm. The thermostat for that room was slightly hidden from view behind the curtain/shade. Once the concierge informed us of this we adjusted it accordingly and remained comfortable for the rest of our stay.

When we return to Seattle we will definitely be staying at the Grand Hyatt. Thank you for making our vacation perfect!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing the northwest.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel was in a convenient location with an easy walk to Pikes Market. Check-in was easy but we were traveling with friends and our rooms could not be arranged in close proximity to one another. The room was large and comfortable with large picture windows and remote darkening shades. The bathroom was the the largest that I have seen with a large soaking tub and a separate shower. The hotel included a NY type deli, a sushi restaurant, Starbucks and Ruth Chris Steakhouse, which also served breakfast daily. My only minor complaint was that the hotel staff could not keep a probable homeless gentleman out of the Starbucks and the lobby chairs by the elevators.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends