“Wonderful place to stay; loved it”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #60 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Indonesia
“Wonderful place to stay; loved it”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stayed for one week, with four children and two adults, in a harbor facing suite with two bedrooms and kitchen. The front desk service was great- I had packages sent to the hotel and they were prompt about calling to pick them up or dropping them by the room. I also used the hotel safe; desk service was good. The suite was awesome. Beds were very comfortable; well stocked with towels; the kitchen was well stocked with cutlery, plates, glasses and cooking pans. We cooked lunch and dinner there each night. Breakfast was great; buffet with many options- eggs, cereal, toast, waffles, sausage. Very good. The eating area is large and so we didn't have trouble finding a table for all of us. We used the laundry three times; the washers were good; the dryers sometimes took two cycles (all were $1 each go). We used the pool (indoor) and hot tub everyday; in good condition; a good size. We enjoyed it. There is a park in front of the hotel and the harbor has a nice walkway so we spent about an hour taking a walk around just close to the hotel. We rented a car for the week and parked on the street next to the hotel the entire stay. Hotel parking is $20/day and is a needless expense. You have to pay for parking on the street but it is very low and you can park for up to 10/hrs at a time. You have to pay for parking from 8AM to 6PM and is free all other times. It rocked. Overall this is one of my most happy stays at a hotel. I have been around the world in all sorts of 5 star places- and this place hit the sweet spot for me. In fact, my husband was booked in at the Silver Cloud Inn- Lake Union down the street, and he left his hotel one night early to hang out with us instead!

Room Tip: Get a harbor facing room; views are good
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We first stayed at this hotel in the late 1990s and made reservations again because we remembered it to be a wonderful place in a good location. Well, either my standards have gone way up over time (which is very possible), my memory is more generous than this location deserves (definitely likely), or the place has just seen better days. There was nothing particularly "bad" about our stay, just nothing that knocked our socks off or convinced us that we should come back anytime soon. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with king sized beds and a fold out couch in the living room, so there was plenty of space for our group of four adults. Breakfast was good with an adequate selection of fruit, cereal, muffins, pastries, eggs, and sausage, but whoever's in charge of food service has committed a cardinal sin for any hotel in Seattle: the coffee was intolerably weak four days running, even the brew that was billed as the "dark blend."

I must confess that, perhaps, my review is biased by the fact that there were SO MANY guests at the hotel with dogs in tow. I love dogs and have three back home, but it is a pet peeve of mine (no pun intended) when folks insist upon traveling with them and staying in hotels. Thank goodness, I suppose, that there are good hotels who accommodate travelers with dogs, but if this is a problem for you this is definitely not your place.

I also agree with a previous review regarding this hotel's high ranking among Seattle hotels. It is quite definitely NOT the 14th best hotel in Seattle.

This Residence Inn's location can't be beat, with easy access to the Seattle Center, the Pike Place Market, the University District, or pretty much anything one might wish to do in the area. For the price, though, one can stay in a much more luxurious hotel with some character.

2 Thank Fumador
Washington DC
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We had a Credit Union reward room for the first night of our stay, and upon our arrival that there was only one room available in spite of the hotel not appearing full. We were told by the front desk that many people did not like this room, and that we could change the next day, but they did not make it clear why. This was room 230. If you are offered this room, please request another.

When we got to the room, we saw that it was facing an exterior sidewalk at almost street level, had not been completely cleaned, and worst, the mattress of the bed was very uneven, and overly soft. Either both sleepers rolled into each other on the center, or felt like they were going to tilt off the edge of the bed.

We were very tired the first night of our 5 night stay, so put up with it, but the next night, my wife relocated to the sofabed, and I had to resort to sleeping crossways across the bed. The next day we asked to switch rooms, and were told somewhat impolitely by the front desk that "all the beds were the same age". Clearly in this case age wasn't the problem, or the hotel would have been empty. When we got another room, the bed while soft, did not have the problems of the bed in room 230.

At the buffet, we found that many items, especially COFFEE and even PLATES were not replenished. This may have been the result of under-staffing of the buffet area.

In summary we felt that the hotel 1) was understaffed, 2) expensive for the quality received, and 3) we were given a sub-standard room for one night because we were not paying out of pocket.

In this case, the property compared poorly in all respects to a Holiday Inn Express, for example. We have also stayed at the Silver Cloud and the University Inn on previous trips to Seattle and would rate them better as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side of the hotel.
2 Thank alrumbo
Mica
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is a hotel in a great location with a very pet friendly staff! The rooms are nice and the breakfast is great!

Clayton, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Our stay was from Wednesday to Saturday early in June before a cruise trip departing from Seattle. My wife and I, our 15 year old daughter, and my wife's parents stayed in a 2-bedroom suite which was very comfortable. One room had a king bed and the other had 2 queens. Additionally the sofa bed was quite comfortable according to my daughter, who chose it over the queen bed in order to have her own space (and TV). Having 2 bathrooms was also a big asset for the 5 of us. The kitchenette was small but fine for us. We didn't do any cooking, just heated up leftovers, made coffee, and kept drinks in the fridge (icemaker was nice to have). The living room area was comfortable for all of us to sit around in the evening, with a comfortable chair and sofa, plus the 4 chairs in the kitchenette. We did not have a lake view or balcony but I didn't consider that a downside.
We did have a rental car (a minivan), and did not really find the size of parking spaces to be a problem. I was able to drive to the back of the level for full size cars (there are 2 entrances and it appeared 2 different levels), and find plenty of spaces. I will admit that it is a bit of a challenge dealing with the concrete support pillars (which were really more of an issue than the width of the space), but it is possible to park a large vehicle here. I do feel that the cost for parking in their deck is high, but it was a secure lot, only accessible using the hotel keycard.
We had barbeque food for the manager's reception (only Wednesday, since it is only done Mon-Wed), and the food was quite good, especially considering it was free. Breakfast was also very good, and we considered this one of the important factors in choosing this hotel).
We rented a car to make getting around simpler, but the Seattle traffic (especially at rush hour), bizarre intersections (I counted 7 streets coming together at one place), layers of roads (which confused the GPS or at least my understanding of it!), and parking cost made this less than enjoyable. However, since 2 of our group can not walk very far at a time, we felt this was a better choice for us than using public transport. In a different situation, I would probably go with public transport (or even walk - Seattle Center and its attractions would be walkable).
Laundry facilities at the hotel were quite nice and reasonably priced. The room was kept at a reasonable temperature and both washer (30 minutes) and dryer (60 minutes) were one dollar.
We also enjoyed the hot tub (except for one night when it was closed due to an "accident" in the water :), and my daughter went into the pool, although it was a bit chilly for my taste. There is a nice pool with dept from 3-6 feet, and a smaller separate wading pool. The fitness center was also nicely equipped.
One downside of this hotel was that there were no restaurants to speak of within a short distance (especially for walking). However, we were offered menus for a number of restaurants offering delivery. We discovered a very nice pizza at Pagliacci's, which had pepperoni from Salumi's.
Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful whenever called on. Everything was very clean.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again. For a group like ours, the 2 bedroom suite was a great deal compared to 2 separate rooms at other hotels. The amenities made the room rate an even better option.

1 Thank rrgreennc
seattle
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Due to a flood in my condo my insurance company put me up here for 3.5 weeks. The rooms are nice - exactly as they are in the photos. In fact I think most rooms are identical down to the decorations.
Noise: I had a 1 bedroom on the backside of the building on the 6th floor. I looked out on office buildings, a play area for a daycare, I5, etc. Not super scenic but quiet, which was much more important to me than a good view. I didn't hear any of my neighbors the entire time and I know it was sold out at least two of the weekends I was there. Despite being above the atrium I never heard the breakfast crowd noise.
Cleanliness: The place was spotless with clean sheets and towels. My room had a dishwasher and the houskeeping staff would run it if they saw I had used a number of things.
Comfort: The couch was a weird chaise lounge type thing, but otherwise the funiture was great. The bed has a pillowtop which was a little soft for my taste (and I probably only noticed it because I was there for so long). The king bed is huge, so it was a lovely change from my bed at home.
Exercise Facilities: The work out room is well equipped with towels, water, weights, machines, treadmills and eliplicals. I never had to wait to use anything. I did not use the sauna or the pool/hot tub but lots of people seemed to be enjoying them.
Service: The staff were fine - not super friendly but also not in my business. When I needed more hangars they were brought up promptly. I thought after 3 weeks they might have started to recognize me coming and going. They didn't, but its no big deal. They were there when I needed them which is the important part.
Location: It is within walking distance to downtown or an easy bus or streetcar ride. To get to other areas of the city you will want a car or taxi. I had to either walk about 1/4 of a mile to a bus to take an express bus (309) to work or take two buses (I work on First Hill at Harborview) to get there. The neighborhood feels safe. It is THE up and coming neighborhood of Seattle. There is a lot of money being spent on new offices and condos to house Microsoft/Gates Foundation/Amazon yuppies. Once the Mercer Street construction is done it will be way more walkable. If you are looking for a hotel on the lake this is not it--the lake is across a very busy street and behind many businesses. Unless you are renting a houseboat you will not find anyplace actually on the lake.
Parking: Parking is very, very tight. I drive a 95 Honda Civic and I fit neatly and snuggly in the spots. They seem to have a seperate garage for SUVs but there were a number of larger cars parked in my garage too. The car got dinged/scratched on the door from someone parking too close/not paying attention. A lot of the cars were rentals so I don't think people were as careful opening doors as they are in their own cars. My car is not new and already has dings so it was not a huge deal but if you care about that you might be best on the street or in the SUV lot.
Food: The breakfast buffet was great! Healthy and not healthy options everyday. I have stayed at a lot of hotels that offer "continental breakfast". This is a serious buffet breakfast. Mon-Wed there is a "managers reception" with food and (on Wednesdays) beer and wine. It varied from hot dogs and potato salad to a nice selectionof greek food to BBQ. Not super healthy, but free. And if you are exhausted and don't feel like cooking yourself dinner it is a great benefit.
Internet: the wifi is free after you accept their terms (check a box). The wifi was fast and never went dow the entire time.
TV: my room had a TV in both rooms with a nice picture and limited cable channels.
Value: the rooms are not cheap and parking is $20/night. But if you need a clean, safe room with all the comforts of home it is worth it.
I have absolutely no complaints about the Residence Inn. It was my home when I needed one and I had a great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Alberta
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed a week in early May and have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. We chose a 1 bdrm suite and it was perfect. We didn't really need to use the kitchenette much since there is the breakfast and 3 days of managers special dinner.

The parking was indeed tight and we scraped the rental car (toyota camry). I can understand why it is $21 a night as we come from a larger city with high parking fees in the downtown area.

Location was good and we enjoyed the streetcar and walking to downtown with the stroller. Enjoyed Dukes Chowderhouse and I Love Sushi across the street with the kids.

Pool was clean, albeit a bit cold. Staff very friendly, and never too busy for you.

Nice playground across the street.

Would recommend this hotel to any friends travelling to Seattle with kids, and even without.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family