“Great Hotel - so close to 5 stars for us!”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #61 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband had a conference in downtown, but we needed a family friendly hotel to share with our two small children (6 months old and 4 years old). We reserved a one bedroom suite, but upon check in, they upgraded us to a two bedroom suite which was a great surprise!! It was perfect for us. A full kitchen/living room and two separate bedrooms (each with its own full bathroom). We had lots of space and check in was nice and easy and check out was an absolute breeze.

The only hiccup we experienced was a request for a crib for our little one. We requested it when we reserved the room and then had to ask for it 4 times after checking in before it was finally brought to us. This was frustrating since it was after both kids were asleep and the baby was in our bed and we were unable to go to bed ourselves until we got it 4 hours after the first request. Fortunately, after two phone calls and two trips to the desk, the gentleman at the desk apologized and did not try and make excuses for the problem, he just solved the problem rapidly and then called to make sure everything was all set for us. All of the staff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful.

The location was great for us. Not right in downtown, but you can walk there, take public transportation or drive there quickly and easily. We had a car so this was this was perfect. It is right across the street from Lake Union. Literally right across the street is a little playground that was great for our 4 year to get some energy out. A short walk part way around the lake and you can see sea planes take off and land in the water!! Also, a couple of wonderful restaurants within one block, some right across the street and very family friendly!!

Some more of the many pros of the hotel:

- Free breakfast every day - make your own waffles, fruit, cereal, juices, coffee, muffins, yogurt, eggs, bagels, toast, and so much more!!!

- On site laundry - machines work great!! It was very reasonably priced and you can get detergent in the laundry room and quarters from the check in desk in lobby. Have been to some places where the machines are old and do not work well so this was wonderful!

- On site parking - easy and convenient parking close to lobby

- Free evening "Social" on certain week nights (when we were there it was on Mon, Tues and Wed) - after a long day of flying with two little ones, we were able to grab a quick free dinner with the kids before bedtime - salad, grilled cheese and tomato soup.

- Grocery delivery - I did not use this but my friend did. You give the hotel a list of items you would like from Whole Foods and they have the groceries delivered to your room and even put them away if you are out. She said they charged her room and attached receipt to groceries. She said there was no delivery or stocking fee for this!

- Pool - small, but indoor and they have a "kid" pool that was perfect for our 4 year old.

- "grocery" in lobby - I mean that you could purchase liquor, a couple of microwaveable dinners, yogurt and snacks right in the lobby. Limited selection, but great for a time when you are in a crunch.

Other than the crib issue, we were extremely happy with this hotel and would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frenchfrylover

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Feather free room was not available for me when I checked in at 3:30 - but another room was given to me. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
many restaurants are located across the street, along with the streetcar that can you take to the shopping district. That costs $2.50...quite a bargain
Breakfast was very good and plentiful...seating was no problem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I'm a faithful Residence Inn customer, but this one stands out. Hotel is very large, yet it feels intimate and comfortable. The room was very large, very comfortable, and I cannot find anything to criticize about it. The meal was very good, with enough selection and nice staff. The hotel is located next to the streetcar, which makes it very handy for getting around. My criticisms are fairly trivial:
--the lighting in the lobby is, well, yellow. It felt like the illumination was very powerful bug lights.
--my wife utilized the car service after being told by the desk staff that the charge would be $10. When she arrived at the destination she was told that the charge was $15. She handed the driver a $20 and was not offered change.

None of this would deter me from staying again and recommending to friends. This is a great hotel.

Room Tip: I can't think of any part of the hotel being better than another, unless you want to be on the s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went on a Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise May 2012 (sorry a bit late, catching up on my reviews) and I chose Marriott Residence Inn Seattle as our base for the before and after cruise stays. Made the perfect choice. This is the first Residence Inn I have stayed in that's built more like an Embassy Suites. It was quite nice, and so cute to see some dogs. Good to know when we finally get a dog we have a nice hotel to stay. The kids loved the indoor pool, and we always like their breakfasts.

The location was great, we could walk across the street and walk along a waterfront with boats. It was also nice to be able to be able to hop on a train/trolley that can take you close enough to the Pike Place Market and some shopping.

Quick tips: Day before the cruise, we did the Duck Tour, what fun! Day after the cruise, we went to the Space Needle and were pleasantly surprised about the then days old Chihuly Art Gallery. Those are very nice things to do.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Location is right on Lake Union marina area. Rooms were good sized, looks like they've been upgraded. Breakfast was of good quality, people at the front counter were very helpful. Buses and light rail to downtown and to U of W area literally were across the street. Only two items that might be negative, one is that outside of a couple of pricey restaurants across the street you're limited as to what to walk to, and the parking is 30 dollars per day plus tax. If you stay on the weekends, street parking is just as easy and a lot cheaper, with Sunday street parking free and parking after six on Fridays and Saturdays aren't charged by the city. Good family hotel. View was also excellent of the Marina, not sure if my Marriott status had anything to do with that. I was surprised by the disappointed reviews

Room Tip: we stayed up on one of the top floors, overlooking the Marina. My Marriott rewards account has it a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is our first trip to Seattle so I have no local comparison point, but in my opinion, for a 2-bedroom @ $250'ish/night, the room is very, very basic. I'm just mostly angry about the view thing.

We chose this hotel because we were told we would have a water view. Instead we're going to spend the next three nights looking at a medical building. Their justification: "We can't guarantee a lake view." They should have been upfront about that from the start. With little kids we're kinda hotel-bound & I really wanted a nicer view. I would have gone somewhere else & paid more had I known... :(

The lobby is gorgeous, though.

Parking is horrible, @ $25/night. My 2005 Rav 4 had not quite 4 inches of clearance on either side of the car.

The curtains in the bedrooms are transparent. Zero privacy.

No trash cans anywhere in the room except the one under the sink. That's just weird.

Still mad. Now I shall post pictures...

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed here for a week and had a nice stay. Check in was pretty smooth, but when we got to our room we were a bit disappointed as it over looked the construction outside. We asked to be moved but were told because we were using Marriott points that was what we got, have to say being a Marriott rewards member have never been told this before, we weren't looking for a room with a view, just not overlooking a construction site as we were staying for a week. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated, and have everything may need in the kitchen. The pool area was great and the warmest hotel pool. which was nice after a long day discovering the city. The breakfast was good with a lot of selections. We never made it to the managers receptions in the evenings, but the selections looked good. This hotel has a streetcar across the street, but we managed to walk the whole city without using it or renting a vehicle, it is only a 10-15 walk to downtown or the space needle.

Room Tip: room 724 is a bit noisy due to construction and highway noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple