“Very spacious, good location, clean and functional”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #61 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here recently for 2 nights while on business. I had a 1-room suite which includes a small kitchen, ample living room, large bedroom, and a separate bathroom. The room also had a small balcony outside of the living room. The hotel is located just across the street from Lake Union and a number of quality restaurants. Self-serve buffet breakfast was included in the room rate and was surprisingly good, with a large assortment of choices and everything pretty fresh. There is free wifi throughout the property and signal strength was good. Unlike most hotels, the room was dead quiet at night and the bed was fairly comfortable. I couldn't get the coffee maker in the room to make decent coffee, but since they have fresh stuff in the lobby throughout the day, that wasn't a big deal. I would definitely stay here again on a future visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gregory W

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed here for one night during a week long trip to Washington and Orgeon. The hotel was beautiful, the staff was polite and helpful, and the room blew away all expectations.

The location:
This hotel is not located downtown, but we were still able to walk to the Space Needle. From there, we were able to jump on the monorail and take that the stop just a short walk from Pike Place Market. From that central location, we could easily access everything (including walking to Safeco Field- a 20 minute walk). The hotel is also on a trolley stop and close to a bus stop. We took the bus back from the baseball game, which was slightly confusing, but do-able. Very accessible! Easy to leave your car in the garage and explore Seattle!

The room:
We booked a two room suite and thought the room was gorgeous. The beds were comfortable, the terrace was huge (with amazing views!), and the sitting area was spacious. We were only there for a night, so we didn't make much use of the kitchen area, but that was nicely appointed. Everything was very clean.

The staff:
Very helpful! They gave us a map and pointed out how to use the various methods of public transportation. We couldn't have figured it out without them.

The breakfast:
Lots of options. Eggs, fruit, yogurt, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, potatoes, sausages, coffee, tea, juices… there was plenty of options. There was also coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available throughout the day and night.

Overall:
If I found myself going back to Seattle, this hotel would be first on my list of accommodations. Great place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lucinarei
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this location for the first time over Easter weekend. The lobby has been updated and they just added a bar. The areas provided for breakfast are nice--although I really think they have overdone the use of televisions. They could have spent the money they did on the multitude of televisions(one located everywhere you look) more wisely.(possibly on new furniture for the rooms).
The breakfast is nice--lots of choices.
The room we stayed in was nice however it smelled a bit "doggy" when we arrived(and this location does allow dogs). The furniture needs to be replaced for sure in the living area. The sofa was dirty and the pullout within the sofa was horrible. It had stains on it and really needs to be replaced. The chair in our room looked as though a dog had scratched and chewed on it.(I did tell the front desk about it).
The bedroom was comfortable and the bedding nice. There is a small balcony off the bedroom with a view of Lake Union which was nice and allowed you to keep the door open at night which was fabulous.
The bathroom area with the tub/shower and toilet it tiny-but sufficient.

Room Tip: The rooms on the west side have views of Lake Union. From the 7th floor you have a good view of the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan N, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and the beautiful view from your balcony. I am very sorry to hear the furniture in your room was below expectations. Thank you for bringing that to the attention of our front desk, so that we could get those items addressed. Thanks again for choosing to enjoy your time in Seattle with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Ryan Noel

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed at this property MANY times and have enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately I was trying to make reservations for an upcoming trip. Online I did not see in the photos for their 2 bedroom suite that had a full kitchen. I called on line reservations and spoke to an agent that was VERY nice and even called the property. He told me the property agent told him that he didn't know and he thought they only had 2 of those rooms. He also said they can book a two bedroom suite and might get one with a full kitchen. I asked the online agent, he was at the property? He said yes, I then said and he doesn't know the rooms when the agent said I know right? So I decided to call the property directly. This wasn't any better. I told the agent I wanted a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen. I was told that she could not guarantee that I could get one when making a reservation. So I then asked if there were any that had 4 burner cooker top instead of a 2 burner cooktop that we had in one room. I said we will be cooking for 6 people and two burners were not enough. She told me we have a lot of different rooms and I don't know what they all are. REALLY? But she did say you can cxl your room as late as 4pm on day of check in if it is not to your liking. So I see I'm getting nowhere fast. So I'm done for the day. Next day I gear up again and call the property no help whatsoever. I was told can not request a full kitchen with an oven, they have a limited amount of those rooms. I asked for again a description of kitchens in the two bedroom suites. She would or could not tell me. I said you can tell me about the beds in the bedroom but nothing about the kitchens? I don't understand. Then seriously, nothing dead silence waiting 2 minutes nothing. I then told her that I thought that this property should be on Undercover Boss. She then transferred to the reservation manager at the hotel, I left a message with my name and number it has been 36 hours and have not had my call returned.

Room Tip: Hard I would say ask fr 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen, but they will not guarantee or even offer...
1  Thank Helen H

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your loyalty to our hotel. I am very sorry to hear about the confusion and trouble you recently experienced trying to make a reservation. All of our rooms have two burner cook tops, except a few that have a full oven and four burner stove. Only five of our two bedroom suites have the full oven/four burner stove, which is why we are not able to guarantee that request in advance. If you would like to contact me directly, I would be happy to see what we can do to accommodate your need to cook for six people. Thank you again for your considering our hotel, and for taking the time to let us know about our area of opportunity to improve our service. We will be sure to work with all of our front desk agents to be able to properly handle questions about the in-room amenities.
Ryan Noel

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 nights via my Marriott points. I like this hotel and location better than a downtown location. All rooms have a kitchenette and living area separate from a nice sized bedroom and bath w dressing area. Breakfast is included at no addition charge. Hot foods and cold options. Fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, toast, waffles are staples. Different eggs each day.

The trolley is a block away and easy to use to get downtown and Pike Place Market.

The hotel just finished a reno. The front desk is placed so each guest is greeted as they arrive. Nice touch.

I look forward to staying at the Residence Inn the next time I am visiting Seattle. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank MSWood2700
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Got this hotel through Priceline and it is well worth the discounted rate. I understand that the hotel rises to over $200/night in summer which is way way over what you get. The hotel is in the northern area of downtown in Lake Union. Not likely walkable to primary tourist venues like the Market or shopping on Pine St. There is a trolley that can take you close but at $3 per person, a cab ride is probably cheaper for a family of 3-4. The hotel is large with a relatively small indoor pool. The rooms are clean and well kept. Service is average. An annoyance for me is how tight they are on the 4pm check in. 3:30 will not due and sometimes neither will 4! The breakfast is a step above the typical continental but if you stay a few days you will notice that not much changes from day to day. Overall, a great choice if you can get a deal and you don't mind cabbing everywhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hawkfan22
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have mixed feelings about this property. We had some really good experiences and some which were really not good. The good- staff worked very hard to exceed expectations, especially at the front desk. When we checked in I asked if any upgrades were available since I am a premier platinum Marriott member. I was told no, sold out. I mentioned that I seldom, almost never, get the comp upgrades and am begin nun to wonder why I stay at Marriott properties. The front desk clerk was very apologetic and gave me complimentary parking for our stay as a result. Very nice since they charge about 25 a night for parking and we were there 4 nights. Another very exceptional experience was that we noticed a very unique item sitting on the shelf above the couch. We inquired if we could buy it and they said they'd check and let us know. They told us later they had one of the exact same items in a box and we could buy it as a donation to Childrens Miracle Network. They just charged it to our room as a donation to the non-profit. SUPER! Now, the 'not so good'... there was construction on the hotel and they began at 7:30 AM..not cool. We could also hear the traffic in the AM but that goes with being on the side with a good lake view. Also, one of the worst violations of a hotel--finding hair in the sink. yuck. Also, they didn't have extra toilet paper in the bathroom and didn't bother to add any. Fortunately we noticed before using the last few squares. Had to call down to get some. What if we found out in the middle of the night in a desperate situation? Also, there was food and drink left from prior guests in the fridge when we checked in.. Yuck. Great location in walking distance to many things including the cable car which goes downtown. While I would have normally rated this 'average', the staffs responsiveness made me rate it higher

Room Tip: Get a lake view room- well worth the extra bucks
3  Thank Loves2TravelALOT_11