“Great location”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #61 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here for two days in late June. Had a view of Union Lake that I enjoyed from the patio. Accommodations were clean with everything we needed. Sofa bed was comfortable. plenty of hot water and towels. Free wifi worked great.

Self serve breakfast was included and had a good variety of hot and cold options - we had it both mornings.

We did not use it but there were stops for public transportation practically outside the door of the hotel.

There were excellent restaurants within walking distance. I especially enjoyed walking in the park across the street.

The hotel also had menus for restaurant delivery which several people were using both evenings. People were doing laundry - I bumped into them in the elevator - they said the facility was clean.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We liked this Residence Inn so much that we booked one for our stay in Helena. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stay in Residence Inns a lot and this one is as good as any, Maybe a bit more stylish as it has this open waterfall area. Location came as a surprise: I could get fro airport to this hotel totally on rail tracks... next coffee and variety of eating plces is a 15 minutes walk but it#s not as loud as if you stayed downtown.

Room Tip: Room with lake view has the road traffic (but itS a local road, nothing compared to the freeway) but...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had to bring my cat to Seattle for eye surgery. The Marriott Residence Inn staff were professional, courteous and went out of their way to make my stay pleasant and comfortable. I received a free room upgrade at check-in and was given a late check out so that I wouldn't have to have my cat at the airport any longer than needed. My coffee maker didn't work and a new one was brought up within 10 minutes of letting the front desk know. I had a lovely balcony overlooking Lake Union, but there were no chairs. Again, within about 10 minutes of asking the front desk, 2 chairs and a table were brought to my room. I didn't have a car and the front desk staff helped me arrange town cars to and from the vet. I'm sorry I didn't get the names of all the staff, but everyone I encountered from the front desk to housekeeping to maintenance were excellent.

The room was large, clean and well appointed with a full sized fridge, dishwasher, adequate dishes, a microwave and a two burner cooktop. Seating was comfortable and I slept very well in the bed considering I had an upset cat with me.

Breakfast was as good or better than free breakfasts at other hotels with a variety of choices. I stuck with oatmeal, bagels and yogurt as the eggs and sausage didn't appeal to me. The breakfast area is large, easy to naviagate and had plenty of seating. I was there very early the first day and right in the middle of a little rush the second and both times, there was plenty available.

It's about a 30 minute walk to Pike's place or downtown shopping and a block from Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I can not believe how rude the front staff were upon Check in. They were not personable at all and were very rude. The fact that the rudeness continued was horrible and made me so angry. The first day we were to have the room cleaned we were gone from 9 am to 4 pm and came back to a dirty room that had not been serviced at all. We called down for towels so we could freshen up for dinner and received a call from the cleaning staff at 7 that they could come clean RIGHT then or they were leaving. Well we were naked and getting dressed so we had to go without getting the room cleaned. We then mentioned to the front desk as we left for a two plus hour dinner that we would need more toilet paper since the room had not been cleaned. We returned well after 9 pm to discover they had NOT brought the toilet paper and we had to call for it. They brought ONE roll. Our room was cleaned the next day but no new toilet paper was left so we were left calling for more. Clean is also not the word I would use. The reclining chair was ripped along the arms of it and I don't think the edges of the carpets were ever cleaned (That was gross). The fridge was so dented it needed to be replaced. My mom used her points to take me on a Graduation trip. They are in the top 7% of ownership of Marriott point program. This was so not okay for anyone that buys into Marriott. My mom actually feels she got the bad service BECAUSE she was a points member. I was disappointed for my mom on the fact she used points that could have been used for another trip. The location is very nice and at check in it would have been nice to have some of the perks of the area explained to us. Very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there are plenty of other hotels!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ryan N, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Sasha,

I am so sorry to hear about your disappointing stay at our hotel. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for you and your mother. I do appreciate that you have shared your experience with us, so that we can use it to continue to train our staff. The service you received is not acceptable, and my team and I will get it corrected. I hope that you or your mother will someday be willing to try us again, so we can show you that the service failures you experienced were a rare exception rather than the norm. Again, I am truly sorry that we did not make your weekend as special as it should have been.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This is a very grand residence inn, but the cleanliness of it causes me to rate it average. We have stayed in marriott's every week, but two since November...so I do have some comparison. There is a level of dirt around the property that is unacceptable. Thank goodness they chose the carpet they did or you would really notice it. It isn't that they missed spots or it is a high traffic area because the level of dirt is consistent throughout. Our coffee table was coverered in sugar heavily upon check in, so it is obvious the room was not thoroughly cleaned before check in. There was also large visible debris around the edges of the room and the room obviously needed a good cleaning and vacuuming. I think it is time to invest either in new vacuums if that is the problem or management needs to step up their A game and have a heart to heart with the staff and raise the cleanliness standards significantly. The breakfast area is large and has a great variety of foods that exceeded my expectation. Food was replenished constantly, but again, tables were not being wiped down consistently and left mildly to moderately dirty for patrons. Front staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions. It is located very close to public transportation, and is a central location to lots of attractions. Beware the parking garage. Our front end of a full size car drug on the incline every time. With better attention to cleaning of the carpets throughout the hotel and the rooms actually being cleaned thoroughly between guests, this hotel has the chance to be an exemplary residence inn.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denver G
Ryan N, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Denver G,

Thank you so much for your continued loyalty to Marriott. I am very sorry to hear about the issues you encountered, and that we did not live up to your expectations. I will work diligently with our Director of Housekeeping and Breakfast Manager to make sure we shore up those areas of our service. We also believe that we are a very grand Residence Inn and will address those issues to live up to that reputation. Thank you again for staying with us, and for taking the time to help us improve. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had two stays within a two week period: there were issues with both although the first one was far better than the second.I will start with the "positives" as there are several: the pool area was very clean and well stocked with towels, there is a large playroom for younger children adjacent to the pool that provides a number of age appropriate activities, the cleaning staff did a good job on our room each day, it is possible to eat a varied and healthy breakfast, the lobby has received a nice update, including the breakfast serving/earing area, and there is a new bar area serving Washington State wines and beers. The trolley is a short walk away and gets you to the downtown in just a few minutes. As noted: groups of 3 or 4 persons might find it cheaper to take a cab, but the fare for seniors is just 75 cents one way. The MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) is a five minute walk away and well worth a visit: children age 6 or over should find enough to see and do to make this a fun family excursion. There are just two negatives, but they are major and need to be addressed. First, the front desk staff, with a few notable exceptions, do not seem interested in providing the type of customer service we have come to expect, and found, at all levels of the Marriott brand. There appears to be an overall attitude of "so you're here, so what?" rather than a "we're glad you're here, how can we assist you." The second issue is the state of the rooms. It took looking at three rooms before we could find one where the sofa was not dirty, the arms of the chairs were not totally rubbed bare of the edges, and the carpet did not have ground in spots. These issues are not new: they go back at least a couple of years and have not been addressed. Changing the furniture can take a while, but changing attitudes should be, and can be, done quickly.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the room before accepting it. Some are much better than others. If you have...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PennyGram

Dear PennyGram,
Thank you so much for both your positive and constructive feedback. Hoteliers always like to hear what makes our guests stays enjoyable, and where we can improve to make them memorable. I am sorry that the furniture in your rooms did not meet your satisfaction. We are currently working on a solution, but as you intuitively pointed out, that does take some time. However, the service issues you encountered with the front desk staff can and will be addressed immediately. All of our staff in the hotel is here to make our guests time with us as enjoyable as possible, and anything less is unacceptable. Our Front Office Manager and I will work to correct this issue quickly. We hope you will have the opportunity to come back soon to enjoy all of the things you love about our hotel, and to receive the quality of service you deserve.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in a lot of residence inn 2 bedrooms, but this one had the best balcony and view of the lake,I have to rank this one at the top. The staff was incredibly nice. The room was very clean. Great location. The kitchen was large. I wish we were staying here more than one night.

Stayed: June 2014