“Not fancy but well worth the visit”

The Grove, West Seattle Inn
Ranked #62 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Grove, West Seattle Inn is a very surprising find. I found the reviews to be very accurate in what was described. This is NOT an upscale, fancy hotel. But, if you are looking for a hotel in Seattle that is very clean, and will do you just fine, AND FOR UNDER $100 look no further.

We were well taken care of here. After the first night we made a request for extra pillows and they appeared by the time we got back to our room that evening. The breakfast is very adequate. The room is not large, but it is plenty big enough for two people to enjoy.

We can't say enough about finding a place in Seattle that is this reasonable and has free parking included!!! We were visiting family that live in West Seattle, but we would stay here even if we were spending most of our time in downtown Seattle. It is definitely close enough to drive back and forth. Without question, we will stay here the next time we visit Seattle.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dinner-wine-romance
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Grove. No, we are not a fancy hotel with every amenity, but we do offer what the fancy upscale properties can't which is a low rate for clean, comfortable rooms and the best in guest service. We are also located in a nice area of West Seattle that is within walking distance of some great restaurants and shops, but also very close to downtown Seattle.
Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Grove, West Seattle Inn

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

This was a nice place to stay for the weekend. There wasn't any storage or much counter space, but had all the necessary basics. I was surprised how clean everything was considering it's a pet friendly place. There were plenty of areas to relieve my dog, and nice neighborhoods to walk through. My only complaint was the traffic noise at night. The windows were old and not very soundproof. Otherwise, a nice place in a convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2013
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Yes, we do love dogs here and welcome any dog owner to bring their pet with them. We do a great job cleaning rooms after there has been a dog in it so the next guest won't have any issues. What we offer here are clean rooms, a staff that will go out of their way to help you, and a very competitive rate. Some of our units are a little "tight" but we do offer alternatives for guests who need more room and storage for your items. Let us know the next time you are here and one of us would be happy to show you some other units that might fit your needs better.
Thank you for writing your review and we hope to see you back soon,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is the only motel to stay in in West Seattle. Thankfully it was quite accommodating in service and amenities. The only problem we had was the electrical outlets in the room. While they provided a coffee pot and coffee, they just set it on top of the refrigerator with no place to plug it in. We finally found an open plug under the TV so we had to set the coffee pot on the floor.

Only had one bedside lamp because there was no place to plug the other lamp in that was over by the TV set.

Nice work table for computer or whatever you needed and it was on rollers so we could put it where we could use it to set a suitcase. They did have one fold-up suitcase stand.

Lounge chair near the window but couldn't use it to read by during darkness because there was no lamp nearby, and of course, no place to plug in a lamp.

If you have claustrophobia, you won't like the commode and shower. About 3 feet between the shower/tub wall and the other wall. No place to hang clothes or towels/wash clothes other than the coat rack at the far side of the wash basin area.

On the positive side, the place is clean and the staff quite pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I really appreciate your taking the time to write a review about your stay at The Grove. We are an old property that was recently renovated. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and one of the hardest things to overcome are some of the physical issues like lack of power outlets and units with smaller facilities. The lighting issue has been addressed and I hope to have more lighting in units that need it by the first of December. Hopefully I can find enough outlets to make it work without having to rewire too many rooms. We are very accommodating and if one unit doesn't have everything you need, let us know and we will do our best to find a unit that might work better for your needs. We do strive to provide the best in guest service and I am happy that our staff was there to assist you in whatever you needed.
We hope to see you soon,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We staid in a suite with one bedroom and a convertible couch in the living room, which was big enough for an additional roll-away bed, four large suitcases and thousands of shopping bags. Although the motel is not really close to downtown Seattle, it's easy to reach the city centre by public transport. If you take the rapidride bus, which leaves just across the motel, it only takes you 15 minutes to get there and it saves you the hustle and the money of having to find a parking lot. The Grove offers ample parking, clean and well tended rooms, delicious fresh water with lemons or oranges in the lobby, a sufficient complimentary breakfast, a safe neighbourhood and beautiful Alki-Beach is only 8 minutes away by car. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at The Grove. Your description of our property is just about perfect. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Seattle.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

My second trip to Seattle (gotta keep tabs on your adult children, even if they don't think they need looking after, right?) brought me back to The Grove.

Two things that I experienced made me happy that I that I had chosen to stay here again:

1) When I first got to my room after arriving in the evening, I saw that there was no separate floor lamp near the armchair. Since I was going to be here for a few days and I like to read at night, I went to the office and asked if - while there was no rush - I could get a lamp the next day. Within 10 minutes there was a knock on my door and there was the desk clerk with a lamp.

2) I needed to meet a business colleague for an all-day meeting and thought we'd simply work in the large, public room where breakfast is served. I found out, however that the room was only open during breakfast hours. I asked the breakfast attendant if there was any other room that I could use, and she told me that they did have a small meeting room and suggested that I check with the manager to see if it was available today. I went to talk with the manager after eating breakfast, and discovered that a) the breakfast attendant had already seen him and alerted him to the fact that a guest had inquired about the meeting room; and b) he had already gone to the room, opened it up and turned on the heat (yep, you need heat in Seattle in October) so that the room was all ready to be used before I even approached him. It was a very nice small conference room with a long table, comfortable chairs and a private bathroom.

So yes, as other reviewers have mentioned, it can get a bit noisy in the neighborhood and the view from your room might be the back of the next building but remember: you’re not in Kansas anymore. West Seattle is really a wonderful place to walk and shop; try the toy and gift stores up on California Avenue; I found lots of unique gifts for the kids and folks back home.

My only “complaint” is that, on Saturday afternoon, someone in the adjacent apartment building was practicing playing his bagpipes for an hour or two. And boy, did he need the practice. Hopefully by the time I get back to Seattle he will have gotten better and I won’t jump out of my chair every time he hits a sour note.

So kudos to the staff, and thank you for a VERY enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RobertTonawanda
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Inn. Our goal is to provide the best in guest service along with clean comfortable accommodations. Even though we are a small motor inn surrounded by sometimes noisy streets and commercial businesses, we will always go out of our way to insure that are guests are taken care of any way we can. Thank you for letting us serve you again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The motel has different sections grouped around a small office. One section is around a court yard with parking space and another section is along Alaska road. The rooms around the court yard are relatively quiet, Alaska road is busy.

The room was somewhat small but OK. It had a handy table on wheels so you can easily move it where you want, an office chair, an easy chair, refrigerator, coffee machine and flat screen TV. The bathroom was nice and clean.

Free Wifi worked well and had sufficient speed for streaming media

Breakfast was not very impressive with only some cereals, buns, doughnuts, etc.

There is a guest laundry, staff was friendly and helpful.

The motel lies some miles from the centre of Seattle but there is a fast bus connection. A five minute walk from the hotel is a stop of the RapidRide C-line bus which will take you to down town Seattle in approx. 20 minutes. You put the exact fare in a machine next to the driver, $2,25 normal, $2,50 peak hours (October 2013), the bus driver has no change.

Nearby are two large supermarkets.

A good choice motel for a friendly price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for writing a review of our property on TripAdvisor. We are an older motor inn that has been nicely remodeled and do have some features such as smaller units or some units that are on the busier street side that can be a little noisier. We do have options available such as rooms, including suites, that are larger and quieter. We do our best to fulfill any requests for room types. All that being said, all our units are clean, and comfortable and we offer the best in guest service.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again when you are back in Seattle.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

TripAdvisor users steered me to the Grove. I'm glad they did; my experiences here were excellent.

The Grove struck me as a budget motel operated by a family determined to manage it exceptionally well. Picture the layout of a run-of-the-mill Super 8 or Motel 6, in the hands of people eager to run it like the Trump Tower. You get a free buffet, and it's a _better_ buffet, with several goodies not usually found in the free morning offerings at other hotels. You get a clean, quiet room, but it's a _better_ clean, quiet room. Someone put in some real care in choosing the furnishings.

I suspect that prices could soar here if Seattle business travelers realize how easy it is to travel downtown from this place by transit. The RapidRide express bus stops only two blocks away, runs frequently and very nearly whisks riders downtown. There's another bonus: a really first rate vegetarian-type restaurant -- Chaco Canyon Organic Cafe -- is also only a few blocks away, too.

My room had a connecting door to another suite. I did not hear a peep out of that connecting door and slept soundly, but usually avoid such lay-outs when I can. The room also did not have an ironing board or iron, although staff was happy to loan me one, free of charge. The laundry room is accessible by a special key, available at the front desk.

Others have written that the wi-fi is problematic. Perhaps they've revamped the system since then; it worked flawlessly.

If I come back to Seattle, I'll try to book a room here.

Room Tip: I suggest a room on the second floor. You'll be less likely to be bothered by cars pulling in a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Grove. As you mentioned, we are a small motor inn, but that doesn't stop us from delivering fantastic guest service and clean modern rooms at affordable rates. Our location allows easy access to all parts of the city and easy walking to some great shops and restaurants right here in West Seattle.
We did completely redo our WiFi setup last June and it works almost flawlessly now and of course at no charge to the guest.
We look forward to your next visit.