“It was okay.”

Obasan
Ranked #1,908 of 4,382 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Obasan is your average Japanese restaurant. At times it can get quite busy and wait times can get a bit ridiculous due to the lack of sufficient staff.

I ordered the Teriyaki chicken with a bowl of rice and salad, along with a side of Agedashi Tofu. The chicken was over-grilled and way to dry to be consumed properly. The Agedashi Tofu was decent, however it was served by placing the whole tofu directly into a whole bowl of sauce. Which ruined the crispy surface.

The food was decently priced and not overly expensive with big portions.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

First off, I'm not a sushi fan, thats my wife, but I had a really good meal here. Having spent time in Okinawa, my eyes lit up when I saw Orion beer on the menu. It, along with the chicken yakisoba noodles I ordered, tasted amazing. My wife loved her two rolls that she ordered, but certainly didn't finish. Good sized portions for a decent price.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

The bento boxes offered here are an excellent value at $10 for a very large serve. It includes gyoza, California rolls, salad, tempura and your choice of meat or tofu dish. Their beef with sundried tomato is unique for a Japanese restaurant, and very tasty, as was the ginger pork. Everything was fresh and of excellent quality. While we didn't order any, their sushi menu was extensive and looked delicious.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We have eaten here since late 2009. The staff are always very nice, although there have been changes. Sepia was there when we first visited, but returned to South Korea. Chisuka left and was replaced by Jin, who was replaced with the current Natsuko. Mae, or May, has always been there – could be she is the head waitress, but she sometimes goes to another job, even during lunchtime. She would always ask after my lady friend, who cannot always dine with me. All were-are very nice, and would greet you warmly to the cozy ambience.

Well...all these years the bento box fare has been consistently of high quality, quantity, presentation and taste. The crisp green salad is not only green, but multi-colored with a multitude of other nicely shredded vegetables. The California sushi, four pieces, are freshly made, and not cold – not taken from the refrigerator from the day before. The “dumplings” are from that day, the tempura items are obviously freshly fried, with a jumbo shrimp included. The meat serving is always of a large portion, too. You can see that pride has been taken in the preparation of this bento. Oh, and they serve a bowl of miso soup as a starter. A delightful meal, a bargain actually.

I cannot praise this restaurant highly enough. I am sure you will enjoy it, too. Actually, I have mixed feelings whenever I give a high rating to a place I frequent often, as I hate to think it will be crowded when I return to it! Perhaps that is why I haven’t written an eval of Obasan until now!

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We went to this restaurant because we wanted something within walking distance of the Exhibition Hall. We found the menu to have excellent choices & excellent prices. The unagi was very good and so were the gyozas. The tempura dishes were fair (a little too greasy) but for the surprising low prices....everything we ordered was good, good portions, FAST delivery and excellent service. I definitely recommend this location if you are needing to eat near the area of the Seattle Center and prices are very good!