“Nice Setup-OK Staff_DvB”

Cuisines: American
Texas
“Nice Setup-OK Staff_DvB”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Auto Battery was great, the staff mediocre. I began the excursion with the intent of walking from 5th and Pine and of watching Ole Miss defeat ‘bama (ok, I knew the second objective was not going to be fulfilled).

I had read reviews of various potential bars and picked this as my second stop on a tour expecting to spend the longest time there because of the game.The walk was a little longer than I thought, but still not bad even for an out of shape guy like me. Overall, I almost can’t imagine a reason to use a cab if you’re staying downtown to get to the destination, which is like a cash bonus for another two rounds. I was a street off and encountered a volunteer soliciting donations. She was friendly so I ended up talking for a few minutes which threw me off a little more.

After circling back to the correct street I was underwhelmed by the exterior. It’s seemingly only visible from a block or less in the distance. This is not a problem, just a warning to first-time visitors to keep an eye out. The layout inside is actually fairly cool. Pool tables and televisions are well placed, and each television has a different game. Despite the crowd, I was able to snag a chair at the bar next to a friendly local who chatted with me between the action of the game.

The stool was comfortable and despite being behind a tap, the view of the large screen with the Ole Miss game was perfect.I could see the bartenders and they could see me, but I sat there a solid ten minutes without being asked if I wanted anything. I wasn’t going to ask since if I could watch the game and not have to buy anything that was a great deal! I had already had beers at the first stop moving outward from my hotel and downtown. The nice guy next to me finally flagged the female bartender down on my behalf of his own volition. I guess he couldn’t understand why I would be content to talk with him and watch the game without a drink.

One review about this establishment raved about the beautiful staff, and I’m glad that geography and not that opinion was my motivation to pick this spot. There were a good number of young, attractive patrons and the noise level was surprisingly moderate, encouraging conversation if you’re going with a date or to potentially pick up a date. The bartenders were just average looking people, which again, doesn’t matter because your chances of picking up a bartender are slim in any case so their hotness, in my opinion, is just a bonus or non-factor (if they aren’t hot) irrelevant to a good pour and atmosphere.

Once she was flagged down, the bartender was quick with a beer and it was only $3.50. That’s a great deal in my experience, and the local brews are tasty. After the beer was finished the guy next to me flagged down the male bartender for a refill. So it wasn’t a fluke or courteous patience that caused the delay I’m guessing, they just have to be summoned to serve you drinks. Strange since they probably like tips. I would definitely recommend a visit to this bar even if you’re not a sports fan. And if the service is slow, think of that as money you can spend on another beer instead of tipping well. I still left the buck a drink norm since they weren’t unfriendly, but usually I’ll leave more just because it’s a demanding job... if they hustle, which they did not.

• Visited October 2011