“Nice place!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Across the street from the University Village in Seattle's University District , 50 North features farm fresh, local ingredients in unique, upscale American cuisine. Whether you're entertaining a pack of carnivores, vegetarians, vegans or gluten-freegans, there's something for everyone on the eclectic, seasonal menu at 50 North. Use your voucher on a gourmet pizza like the Chicken & Ratatouille, a thin crust topped with roasted chicken breast, red onions, fennel, apple, zucchini and pumpkin. Or go for one of their massive salads, like the vegan Warm Farro Salad, which combines red beets, apples and pears tossed in a sweet and savory pomegranate vinaigrette and served on a bed of Farro noodles. Burger snob? The 50 North Burger is a must, pairing local, grass-fed 'Thundering Hooves' beef with onion marmalade, grilled shiitake mushrooms and jack cheese on ciabatta bread, served with house-cut fries. We invite you to come on down for a great meal, the perfect martini, or a fantastic bottle of wine from our cellar. Experience our full-service espresso bar or enjoy lunch outside on the patio. Meet your family, friends or business colleagues at our new University Village gathering place for some great good food at 50 North!
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Very good menu and reasonable prices with lots of gluten free and vegetarian choices. We went for brunch, now served on Friday as well as the weekend. It would have been nice to have more lunch options available as well as brunch and to have a refill of drinks. The restaurant wasn't crowded, but we could have used a little more attention from the server. Free parking was an additional bonus. As my gluten- and dairy-free friend said, "We should come back here until we have tried everything they have." And we will certainly go back.

Melinda S, Owner at 50 North Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us, Susan. I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel totally taken care of by your server and that they didn't come around to refill your drinks. Do you remember what day you came in for brunch? We'd love to have a chat with our staff and see what happened there. We're happy you found gluten-free options you like - we take our gf seriously!. We'd love to have you and your friend come try even more of what's on the menu.

Hope to see you both soon,

Reviewed 21 February 2014

What good food! And, the staff has been outstanding every time so far, which is twice.

The cooks fry eggplant so wonderfully that I save my calorie allotment to eat it. I do ask for their wonderful fish taco sauces instead of honey, but that is because I love their flavor.

Fish tacos are popular. The chipotle aioli and cilantro jalapeno sauces are distinct, home made of course, and zesty. Also, they use local sources as much as they can and are connected with the farms on Vashon, where their home restaurant “the Hardware Store” lives.

Melinda S, Owner at 50 North Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Having someone say they'd save up their calorie allotment for our fried eggplant is the ultimate compliment! I'm so glad you love it and that the taste is worth the trade-off. I also appreciate you pointing out the fact that we use local and organic ingredients. We're proud to support local growers and are committed to freshness and I'm so happy it shows.

It sounds like you like what we have going on here so I'm curious: what could we do to give you a 5-star experience? We shoot for excellence and like to know what we can do to hit the target.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We always end our weekend Seattle visits with our family with brunch at 50 North Restaurant. Early in the morning it's quiet and laid back. The wait staff has always been exceptional, as well as the food. Be sure to start with their home made donuts!!

Thanks for consistently making us part of your visit, Dusty. I'm so glad you enjoy our brunch and that you're a fan of the donuts. I'm also really happy that you think we've got an exceptional staff. I'll definitely pass the sentiment off to the crew -- it will certainly make their day! Oh, and we have also added delicious Gluten-free donuts to our weekend Brunch.

Until next time,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We have been a number of times to this restaurant. The one good thing is that they (the owners) do seem to listen to your feedback.

At our last visit, I ordered a fish curry that was extremely greasy and I was very sick that evening.

The waiters are too breezy for our taste and the waitresses are often inattentive while they chat at the food counter.

We are moving on to better experiences.

Melinda S, Owner at 50 North Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I'm not sure if you were suggesting that the heaviness of your curry made you feel unwell, or if it was the ingredients in the dish itself that made you feel sick. Either way, "greasy" isn't a word we like to use over here and I apologize if your food was heavy. Moreover, I can assure you that everything that comes out of our kitchen is incredibly fresh, and we hold ourselves to strict healthy and safety standards over here.

Like you said, we do value feedback. As a small, local business it's incredibly important that we have the support of the people in our community and we do our best to take their input and turn it into action. I know you wrote this back in October but we recently joined TripAdvisor and I wanted to ask you if you'd be willing to give us another shot. We've made some big changes since you wrote this and I know we can wow you next time around.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

The address is on 25th St. across from the Silver Cloud Inn & University Village. The food is excellent, breakfast is served till 2PM. & the homemade donuts are a must to try(sinful to be sure). Dinner is awesome especially the chicken, yummy. The place is quiet, staff is great & you won't be sorry you gave 50 NORTH a try.

Thanks for the fantastic review! I'm so glad to hear you like the atmosphere and that you always find the staff helpful -- we definitely want people to feel at home when they're here. I'm even happier to hear that you love the food. The donuts are a favorite of mine so it's great to see you recommend them to others. Hope you'll be in to see us again soon!

Best,