“Met our needs perfectly”

Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Rocky River, Ohio
“Met our needs perfectly”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We just spent two nights at the Watertown and were totally satisfied. with our accommodations. We had a basic king bed room and enjoyed the bright, airy room.
I liked the bathroom layout which allows for privacy. We took advantage of the free shuttle downtown and our driver was very helpful in getting us oriented. The location of the hotel is perfect for people who need to be close to the university and surrounding neighborhoods.
I will definitely stay there next time I am in Seattle.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Hoopester1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Serbian first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I loved this hotel! The convenient U-District setting, enormous king suite, and friendly service really makes this one of my favorites in Seattle. The design of the hotel and the rooms is a breath of fresh air. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Watertown Hotel in the University District of Seattle and we were very impressed! For starters, you're within a very short walking distance to University ave. which is home to lots of shops, restaurants (that are open "late") and movie theaters, and we felt safe walking to and fro . And if you're not a fan of driving/parking in the city they also offer a free, complimentary shuttle van to a few Seattle destinations including pacific place (easy 5 or 6 block walk to Pike Place), Woodland Park Zoo, University of Washington, and a few area hospitals! And they have a free bike rental too, so you could borrow a bike and go explore the nearby burke-gilman bike/walking trail!

The hotel and our room were both very clean. We were pleased with the array of foods and drinks available at the free continental breakfast and they even had mini pineapple cupcakes one afternoon! Free bottled water and popcorn in the room and free wi-fi too. They also offer carts (art, spa, board games, movies) that you can borrow.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in early July 2011. Very stylish hotel with well-sized rooms, nice amenities is the bathroom, a microwave and fridge, and a nwe LCD tv. The continental breakfast was not as big as others I have stayed out but there were enough muffins, pastries, bagels, freshly cut melon, cereals, yogurt, etc. to satisfy all. We received a "back" room which was great because we could see Mt. Ranier out the window. Unfortunately, on July 4 at midnight, some people decided to light some fireworks in the alley behind the hotel which woke me and several members of my family. The hotel also has bikes available for free and I did a morning ride along a nearby bike trail that parallels the ship canal that was quite lovely. The neighborhood is not upscale, but with free parking and the entrance ramp to I-5 just a few blocks away, it didn't matter! Only negative comment was it took awhile to get "carts" from the front desk (they have activity carts with games, art, etc).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
los angeles
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I recently stayed at Watertown a Unique Urban Hotel for three nights (May 26th – May 28th) and I was so pleased with the service and the staff that I felt the need to put it in writing. I was in town for my sister’s White Coat ceremony at the University of Washington and at first I picked the hotel because of its location. I knew it was a fairly new building so I figured the inside would be pretty modern and clean. To my surprise, the hotel exceeded my already high expectations! I reserved one of the suite corner rooms and was amazed at how much space there was! The room was fully equipped with robes, Aveda products, flat screen TV, ironing board and iron, tons of towels, a washer and dryer (located right outside my room) and the cart where you can order games or arts and crafts was such a genius idea! Moreover, the continental breakfast was great quality. Most continental breakfasts do not have any hot items so it was to my delight (and my family’s) to see that they offered offering eggs, bacon and sausage along with their delicious pastries, fruit and good coffee.

What I liked the most about this hotel was the staff. Specifically, the staff who were in charge of taking care of the Continental breakfast – they were very, very kind. I don’t remember his name but he is a Hispanic man who has semi-long hair (Manuel?). He was so very kind to me. After having my breakfast I wanted to stay and get some work done on my laptop. I asked him if I could possibly stay and I promised I wouldn’t disturb them while they were cleaning and he replied, “Si, es su casa” meaning “yes, this is your house.” I thought he was so very nice and seemed really enthusiastic about his job. Additionally, I loved the Aveda products offered in the room so much that I asked one of the cleaning ladies if I could possibly have an extra set and she was more than happy to hand me one, no extra charges! She too was very welcoming and very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I live two blocks from this hotel but needed a place to stay during repairs in my building. I had a top floor room overlooking Roosevelt and had no issues with street noise. I can attest that hallway noise will come through but that is the case in a lot of hotels. In my case there were multiple guests with kids on that floor so at least I wasn't having to listen to drunks but be advised its not 100% soundproof.

I found the room design interesting (in a good way) but the bathroom was small and nothing to get excited about. There were what appeared to be crayon marks on a couple of the walls and I let the staff know about this and took digital pictures for my records. But the room was clean and acceptably appointed regarding the furnishings. It had a modern feel that was nice.

I think the concerns about possible cost cutting are worth noting from other reviewers but this remains a good value and pleasant place to stay in the area. The design and atmosphere is contemporary and relaxing. For first timers to Seattle this is a good alternative to more expensive places and there is ample public transit to get to where you want to go. The fact that it is in a working residential area is a little nicer than being downtown. I liked the fact that to get to any floor of the hotel you had to be in possession of a card key.

Living in the neighborhood I can add that Roosevelt is a street that is busy most of the time with cars and foot traffic which is good as there are usually people around. Late at night apply the same street smarts you would in any unfamiliar city. Arguably the neighborhood is safer overall than downtown Seattle but it is possible to get into trouble if you aren't paying attention. If you are the drinking type the further north you go on The Ave the sketchier the bars get, as a general rule.

Overall I would recommend the Watertown as possibly the best of the non high end hotels that I am aware of and certainly a usable location for both tourists and business travelers.

Room Tip: Alley side would give view of the university
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
New England
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I used to really like the Watertown; now I'm just so, so. I've been staying there for several years, mostly due not to its proximity to UW, but its ease of navigation from just north of Lake Union. If you have a car, it's far more economical and efficient to explore Seattle offerings from this base. But it is not the Pike Place Market/ Pioneer Square walkable venue which more intown (and expensive) hotels will offer you. Good value, decent accommodation for putting down your tired head.

Five years ago, it had a hip, different edge to it. Nice fresh fitted sheets on a firm mattress and comfy towels, cute specialized room offerings (zen tray, etc), and a tasty continental breakfast and afternoon cookies. But it has leveled off in this area, both through its own apparent inertia and the market moving beyond it. The bedding is not as taut, the towels have been put too many times through the wringer, and the food is sad. This is Seattle, a foodie mecca, and you will discover that the food service seems to be sourced by Sysco. Do you really want to be reminded of Tang and Walmart/Sam's/Costco bonus muffin packages while facing your overcast new morning in Seattle?

Hopefully the Watertown will rebuild its mojo in those areas and restore its brand. It's a nice stay and could be goosed up to an excellent one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple